Labelling chapters

When you are writing a story, do you prefer to give your chapters a title or just leave it as “chapter 1,2,3…”

• Do you ever give your chapters titles? Yes/No and why?
  • Do you prefer to give them titles or numerically?
  • Do you like to combine the chapters e.g. Chapter One: Welcome To My Life

In my opinion, I prefer to give them titles because it will give the reader the gist of what is going to happen in the chapters.

7 Likes

Haven’t written a story yet, but when I do I’ll make sure to name my chapters. It just seems fun to come up with titles!

1 Like

I generally label my chapters numerically. I can never think of good titles for the chapters

3 Likes

I like naming my chapters after small quotes from that chapter. That way, you can get a glimpse of what’s coming up.

5 Likes

I usually name my chapters as to give the reader a glimpse of what to expect. I do number my chapters in my draft though because it’s simply more convenient.

3 Likes

I name my chapters!

1 Like

Yes, I do name them. It’s fun to come up with the names. For my fun side stories, I type in some puns or something catchy, and for my ‘not-so-fun’ stories, I added in quotes or a song lyric line as a chapter name.

1 Like

I agree, that’s what I am currently doing with my novel since it’ll convince the readers.

1 Like

I do! I love naming my chapters. Sometimes, it’s what the chapter is about, other times, it’s something that a person said in that chapter, or just a thing in general that seems to really defines the chapter.

1 Like

I do! I just love giving titles to everything lemaw. Also, it helps me keep track of which chapter is which. I’m not really good at remembering chapter numbers xD

Combined! I name my chapters for anticipation but with deep secrets about them. I use roman numerals to number my chapters (I, II, XI, LXI) with 0 as prologue.

1 Like

I love to see labeled chapters, I think it adds to the whole reading/writing experience! I think it’s especially cute when it’s something a character said in that chapter!

1 Like

I think it’s interesting. I don’t label my chapters but I might. Depends on my story and audience.

1 Like

Most of the time I just use Chapter and the number. In a couple, I’ve named them and found it hard to come up with a name at times. I’m lazy and stupid lol.

Currently for one of my books my chapters are numbered, except instead of like ‘1’ it’s the number in greek. I like to give titles for like slice of life/realistic fiction and numerals for fantasy.

Closed due to inactivity! :white_heart:

I love naming my chapters! In my first two stories, I’d use a quote of something that was said in the chapter or just something related to what happened in it, but with my current story, I started basing my title chapters on parts of song lyrics.

Chapter 1 is called “Don’t tell me to shut up when you know you talk too much” (from Post Malone’s ‘Goodbyes’) as it refers to the fact that the MC has a bad habit of rambling on and on when she’s nervous. That’s one of my personal favorite chapter titles.

1 Like