Language Studying Group

Language Studying Group

How familiar are you with self-studying? It can look great on college resumes and if you can prove your fluent you won’t need to take these languages during school. I’m beginning a self-study group for 4 languages, but before you engage, you might wonder: What does self-studying do for you?

"There are many reasons that a student might choose to self-study a language in high school. One of the most common is when a student wants to pursue a language that is not offered as a class at his or her particular high school. In this case, perhaps you want to connect with your family’s Italian heritage, or you are convinced that your future as an international businessperson may benefit from your knowledge of Chinese. Whatever the case may be, you have developed an interest in a language that is not formally offered at your school, so you might choose to pursue it independently.

There are other reasons for self-studying a language, too. Sometimes you cannot take your desired language offering due to a school scheduling conflict. Perhaps you want to take both Spanish and German, but the classes meet at the same time. Or, maybe you have placed out of your high school classes, having completed AP French as a sophomore, but you still want to take your knowledge to the next level. These are all completely valid reasons to pursue a self-study in a foreign language, and if you find yourself in one of these scenarios, self-studying a foreign language might be a great solution."

(https://blog.collegevine.com/can-i-self-study-a-language-in-high-school/)

Now some of you might be like, How do I showed I self-studied a language? It’s quite simple:

" One great option that easily translates on a college application is self-studying for an Advanced Placement test or SAT subject test. There are AP tests available in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, and Spanish. There are SAT subject tests available in Spanish, French, Chinese, Italian, German, Modern Hebrew, Latin, Japanese, and Korean. If you plan to take one of these tests, keep in mind that they generally are administered once in the spring (and another time once in the fall, for SAT Subject Tests in foreign languages). For APs, you will need to speak with an AP administrator at your school sometime in February to arrange your registration. For SAT subject tests, you need to register about six weeks in advance.

Another way to quantify your newfound knowledge is by taking a national language exam. There are national language exams available in French, German, Latin, Italian, Japanese and Spanish. The registration and administration processes for these exams vary, since each is administered by an individual organization. You will need to visit the individual websites to learn more about each, but all offer various levels of achievement that would serve as concrete evidence of your success in self-studying a foreign language."

(https://blog.collegevine.com/can-i-self-study-a-language-in-high-school/)

If you already speak one of these languages and would love to help me, please shoot me a PM! I would love to have a native speaker or someone who’s fluent help me with these languages.

Languages I’ll be offering
I’ll be giving you recources and basically be teaching you each language, think of it more as a study group however, because as you’re learning, I’m also learning. Self-studying is a dedicated study and you must be ready to engage in it daily.

• Japanese
  • French
  • German
  • Italian (This won’t be as in-depth but you will still learn some good Italian)
  • Spanish (limited) 5/6

If you are interested, please comment below which language. If you’re interested in being a teacher’s assistant - please PM me ^^

Rosters

Japanese
@Soleil :sparkles:
@Jass :sun_behind_large_cloud:
@unsungcheerio
@Caticorn
@DazzledSnowFlake

Spanish
@Eliza :heavy_heart_exclamation:
@Soleil :revolving_hearts:
@unsungcheerio :rabbit2:
@WritingWithStars :blossom:
@Jass :hibiscus:
@DazzledSnowFlake

French
@Eliza :leaves:
@DazzledSnowFlake

German
@Caticorn
@idiot.exe

Italian
@Eliza :herb:
@Soleil :yellow_heart:

13 Likes

Can I sign up for more than one language? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Awww no spanish :((

um um idk what I want to choose lmao
Maybe Italian :thinking:

3 Likes

Of course!

I knowww but I can’t find any legal way to obtain good Spanish textbooks for beginners )): I would use my own but I don’t want the forums to get in trouble for copyright
:joy: Hopefully in the future I can obtain more textbooks (buy them or find them) for more languages.

You can choose multiple :eyes:
Ooh, okaysies.

3 Likes

aw :// sadness I’ve always wanted to learn how to speak Spanishhhhhh
Ooh if you have spanish textbook couldn’t you teach a group :eyes:

Yeahhhh but none of them really call out to me that muchhh :woman_shrugging:t5: Japanese would be way too involved for me and German sounds cool but I don’t really see that much of a use for it here and I’m already doing French in school and Italian, well, I like Italian food so it is likely I’ll visit Italy one day

3 Likes

Oooh yay! I’ll do Japanese and Italian then

2 Likes

I speak it because of my mom so I know it but I’m not that experienced to teach it. Especially since I 'd have to teach you guys grammar and I really don’t focus on that ://
:eyes: Actually maybe I could teach a small group at a time, but it’d have to be in DMs and they wouldn’t be able to share the materials.

Ooh, I understand. You know what though, I’ll make a small group of Spanish just for you :eyes:

Yayy!! I’ll add you!

4 Likes

Can I choose French and Italian? (and also Spanish if it actually happens)

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to learn Japanese for a while, so why not use this amazing opportunity? :eyes:

2 Likes

Awww well okay
:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

OH MY GOD REALLY I LOVE YOU :sob::heart:

4 Likes

Can I join the Spanish one as well? :eyes: :eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah of course! (Spanish will be happening, so I’ll add you to my small group :wink: )

Whoohooo :partying_face:

Aww, I love you more though :heart:

Yess :joy: I will add you :heart:

4 Likes

I’m excited, I really love this idea tbh!

2 Likes

Thank you for doing this Mel/Ani (I never know what to call you :rofl:)!!! I appreciate youuu :pleading_face: :pleading_face:

2 Likes

I’m glad!! Actually got this idea because I’m getting a good friend of mine college ready and I thought about sharing this with others because I know there are others who want to learn languages!

:rofl: Whichever you’d like!! Aww, I appreciate you too :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Can I sign up for Spanish? I already know some Spanish and love the language!

2 Likes

Of course!! I’m glad to meet another who appreciates the language :wink:

2 Likes

I would have taken Spanish 3 this year and couldn’t because I’m taking another class that’s more important in it’s place.

2 Likes

:0 You’ll definitely be ahead of the rest of us then. I’m currently in the equivalent of Spanish 3 this year!

1 Like

Well, maybe not. Our teacher did it a bit differently. So like I know the basics but she made sure to teach it in a way where there are certain levels and by the end of each year we’d reach each level. So the level we ended on was knowing the basics basically lol. Because I think a lot of people probably just memorize the stuff in textbooks and don’t actually learn or forget it later.

1 Like