Let's talk about AI technology!

I was thinking about the morality of AI technology. I know that using AI and claiming pictures as your own is plagiarism and things like that, but I think using AI generated images for things such as Faceclaims and things like that isn’t that bad. I remeber when we used pictures with watermarks on them, so as long as we say it’s been made by AI we are fine since we’re using it for personal use only. Now I’d like to hear everybody’s reasons if the disagree with me.

3 Likes

I fully agree.

1 Like

well… yes, lol. chatgpt, which i assume is what your talking about, isn’t an analysis bot. it isn’t a creative writing bot. it’s a large-scale language model that read a bunch of information, and uses all that information to answer questions based on what it thinks should come next. so if you ask it how old abraham lincoln was when he died, it will answer 56- not because it knows he was born in 1809 and died in 1865, or any logical deduction, but because it read a bunch of articles that say “abraham lincoln died when he was 56”, so those are the words it thinks should come next- and when it was training, the creators told it those where the right words that come next, so now it knows those are the words that come next. that’s a very simple explanation, anyways.

tl,dr; chatgpt is a very, very advanced google autocomplete

1 Like

Honestly I’m starting to hate AI

It was fun back in 2020 when there was a bunch of innovative sites, but now the entire internet is filled with paid “art” generators and it’s hard to find ones I actually like

also, as far as ai image generation goes, i really enjoy it. i don’t call it ‘art’, because art is fully human, and that’s where a lot of the controversy stems from- image generation replacing human art, which it shouldn’t. but a lot of people also are making the mistake of shunning it outright, which i believe is also a mistake. ai image generation has it’s own place- a non-artist like me isn’t going to go drop half a grand on a commission of a generic alien landscape every time i want to describe a setting for a roleplay, or anything to that effect.

anyways, i just got a midjourney subscription so i might be biased, lol

I’m torn. I found one helpful this year when two people were applying for jobs and asked me for letters of recommendation. While i wanted them to get the jobs, i hate writing stuff like that.
I typed into ai all of the things I noticed they were great at through the past year and asked it to organize it into a letter of recommendations and then i just changed some things to make it fit the people and it made it so much easier.

They both got their jobs too. :clap:

hm i disagree
i don’t know how much you’ve read about AI “art” and its process, but all AI “art” is made by taking already existing artworks (most of the time without permission, always unsourced (unless the AI wasn’t smart enough to delete the originals’ watermarks lol)) and meshing them together in something that may resemble an image, according to the prompt(s) given to it
the problem with this is that this “art” uses completely stolen artworks, the artists cannot consent to their words being scrapped for AI, which is something completely different than using watermarked pictures for personal use

agreed lol

i mean, you don’t have to
there are a lot of sites where you can legally use free art/pics, and with something as simple as ms ppt you can change a lot of things to these pictures to make them fit your liking

glad they got their jobs
and honestly? this use for AI is okay in my books, since you’re just using it to help you format something, not using it to create something (and then passing it as yours whew)
that said, you always have to be careful with AI written things because people can absolutely tell when something’s “written” by AI
i’d suggest using it to format things and then rewording to make it all sound… like an actual human wrote it lol

2 Likes

I believe that’s what I said, too? They’re not smart bots, they can just throw text at you that’s already been written, so you’d get the same results by just Google searching a question:

I can’t agree with this
No matter what you’re using the generated images for, they’re still made from stolen art, photos, etc. Very very few of the images used to train AI image generators were actually used with consent from the artists/photographers/etc and that makes this unethical in itself. Even if you’re only using the images for personal projects that will only see a few people at most, art was still stolen, modified, and mashed together without the artists’ permission.

Using watermarked images is different, because the image was willingly uploaded to the internet by the owner, you’re not removing the watermark that shows who owns the image, and if you use it for anything other than personal use, the owner of the image can take (successful) action against you. This just isn’t possible with the nature of AI image generators.

I mean, no one’s forcing you to? Just use your imagination or search for things on free image websites, where the owners of the images have actually consented to their work being used.

I think that’s different; in this capitalist hellscape, writing cover letters and letters of recommendation and all that garbage is a huge pain and requires such specific, annoying wording that most people just don’t have the brazenness it takes to do it. It’s different using these for creative works than it is using them to sound like the perfect capitalist slave. Besides, you already put in the actual strengths and stuff you noticed in those people, so really most of the work was yours.

1 Like

Published authors are starting to speak up against AI (and letting people train AI on their works)

1 Like