Let's talk about being scared walking alone

This thread was created to talk about this particular confession from the anonymous confessions thread, so that we don’t clutter up that thread too much :sparkles: Also it means that we can give the topic more of the attention that I think it totally deserves.

13 Likes

I have a really bad story that happened last night which is why I wasn’t very active and went to sleep pretty early-

6 Likes

At this point, it’s not even a need, it has become a defense mechanism. :pensive:

15 Likes

Because there’s a lot of dangerous men. I’m not being sexist, but it’s true. You should do more research on understanding the struggle of women. I preach all the time about body positivity but sometimes when I go out in a really cute fit, I feel the need to cover up because I KNOW old men will stare at me in a really uncomfortable way

15 Likes

it’s a little ridiculous if you ask me why we need to feel scared just because of other people and just because we’re female, but I doubt the problem will go away any time soon

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s ridiculous. There’s a lot of sex trafficking and majority is men if you look at the statistics. One time I was walking home and I could’ve gotten sex trafficked by an old man who kept watching me and he followed me. I had that happen two times. It’s really scary

10 Likes

Agreed, there are more evil men than women.

9 Likes

Yeah. Woman sex traffic too and I’m not trying to be sexist but it is true

9 Likes

Not only that but when something happens it’s always the victims fault.

10 Likes

agreed, I’m just saying it’s a societal pressure that shouldn’t be put upon us

6 Likes

I remember that time when two of my classmates told us about their experience walking together in that one, dark street intersections away from us. It was creepy.

7 Likes

I hope you’re just wording this a bit wrong and not that you’re actually blaming the victim cuz then true :thinking:

4 Likes

Yup. Like the victim should have been more careful and not the other way round that the predator should not have done that cuz its unlawful.

4 Likes

yeah like “you shouldn’t have worn that”

like no I should be able to wear what I want

8 Likes

It’s more put as in society will always blame the victim by saying things like: she shouldn’t have worn that or she shouldn’t have been out late at night not that I blame victims

9 Likes

Exactly

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s really society that’s pressuring us to be afraid of men because there are so many cases where men hurt women. I don’t fear looking at a man in public, I fear that when I go outside in public that a man will sexualize me. I fear that walking outside without a friend will cause me harm. There’s a lot of stories online where women share their scary stories but it’s not cuz they’re trying to get women to fear men but they’re trying to spread awareness for parents to start teaching their kids

10 Likes

Societal pressure sucks. If only women weren’t regarded as inferior in the past, we wouldn’t have been carrying this thinking right now. Not that I’m blaming the history but every morals we have were affected by our past.

It’s honestly hard to renew the norms, but I still wish it will happen someday.

9 Likes

Yesyes, I agree

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s always victim-blaming.

7 Likes