Methods of studying/revising

1. The note-taking method
Note-taking is one of the most important activities for students. Taking notes will help you recall information that would otherwise be lost. A note-taking method will help you to prepare before the lecture and to review key concepts after a class. In my opinion, this is a really entertaining method. When I’m revising I try to write everything again using highlighters and draw material from my lectures, class notes and textbook.

2. The verbal encoding method
Some people are much more vocal in their studying and they like to repeat the information until they can say it out loud fully without looking at the sheet. This is something I always do. To make things more fun you can put the information into a song or a rap.

3. The visual approach
If you are a visual learner, you learn by reading or seeing pictures. Visual learners can picture what they are learning, and they learn best by using methods that are primarily visual. Using graphs, diagrams, flowcharts and mind maps is a good way to quiz yourself.

4. Auditory learning
This is a learning style in which a person learns through listening. Auditory learners must be able to hear what is being said in order to understand. They also use their listening and repeating skills to sort through the information that is sent to them and often learn by reading out loud. This is also how I personaly like to study, I always read things out loud and listen to the recordings of my professor’s lectures. It’s also good to record yourself saying the information and then listen to it again and again until you fully understand it.

5. The buddy system
A lot of people say this is the best approach to studying and I do agree with it, in a way. I do like to study alone because that’s how I can fully focus on the subject but when you’re studying or revising with someone they can help you with something you don’t understand.

• What method of studying do you think is the best?
  • How do you study?
4 Likes

I… just… read…

Depends on the person and the subject.

I read, take notes and hopefully get to be able to ask questions to friends or teachers if there’s something I don’t understand.

In primary school, I used all those study methods because that made studying so much easier :smile: In high school, I left out the buddy method and the verbal encoding method because I noticed that those don’t really help me and just take too much time for me personally. Now, at university, I’m just taking notes, reading the papers we get and highlight the most important things and read those two or three times before the exam

For me personally, I really don’t study that much. I just read through the information, and for calculation based subjects, I practice. I practice until I feel I have some understanding of what I’m supposed to do.

What works best, truly depends on the individual. I know most people can’t do what I do, just like how what others do, doesn’t help me enough to make it feel worth while. Though I will say, for anyone, practice will alway help when learning how to do calculations

Added a couple tags too

Closed due to inactivity