Metric System Conversions

The metric system is used in every country in the world, excluding Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States. The different units of the metric system are typically ordered like this:
Kilo-
Hecto-
Deca-
Base Unit
Deci-
Centi-
Milli-

(the acronym I was told to remember them was King Henry Died Mother Didn’t Care Much, using metres as the base unit)

Conversions

To do the conversions, think of the different units as a staircase, like in this diagram:

When you go up a step, the decimal place moves to the left. When you go down a step, the decimal place moves to the right.

Examples:
For these examples, I’m going to use metres as the base unit

50 centimetres to metres
Metres are two steps higher than centimetres, so the decimal moves two places to the left
50.00 cm → 0.50 m

5 kilometres to decimetres
Decimetres are four steps lower than kilometres, so the decimal moves four places to the right
5.00 km → 50 000 dm

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

6 Likes

Oof, I remember I struggled with this but in a slightly more complicated way so much. Like when it was with m³ and stuff, and also the conversion from litres to m³ and the other way around.

1 Like

Thank you for the acronym and the staircase chart! Helps in remembering the metric system better.

1 Like

You’re welcome! To be perfectly honest, the acronym is the only way I remember how to do them.

1 Like

I think this could be helpful for some of the @HomeworkHelp :smiley_cat:
It took me way to long to remember all of that in school :joy:

I still don’t get why they don’t use it. it’s so much more convenient!

Then again, the US has a history of being contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian

2 Likes

Omg yes this is so easy once you remember this graph I always draw things like this on my math tests they just help so much :heart:

OMG! How have I never seen this thread, nor this graph before?!
Have you see it before, @phlegmatic?

I have. Stuff very similar as well. I love stuff like this. Visuals for math and science are always fun to look at

1 Like

Love? Really? You’re weird… in a good way.

The one I use in chemistry has pico, nano, tetra, giga, and mega as well.

Closed due to inactivity