Misgendering in Multiplayer Games

I play Echo Vr a lot and when I’m muted people assume I’m a guy, which is fair, I’ve only ever met like, two other girls in the game. But it’s funny when I’m not muted and they’re all like “gAMer gIRL???” :joy:

2 Likes

All the time. That’s why I immediately say my pronouns when playing Among Us with randos

Yes

Just people always assuming I’m he/him. Girls can play video games too. Non-binary people can play video games too.
If you play an online game and don’t know their pronouns, ask them or refer to them as they/them please.

2 Likes

I plan on doing an experiment with colors in among us and see what people assume. It should be fun and aggravating. I’ll post the results on the forums if anyone is interested

4 Likes

Another thing, Minecraft. If you have long hair they assume you’re a girl but if you have short hair they assume you’re a boy. Even if they appear as a certain gender, you still should not assume. Ask or use they/them.

2 Likes

I would refer to everyone as they/them unless specified. If you need to direct attention to a player, then I use mate, comrade, partner, among others depending on the game- and it sounds cool in chat

5 Likes

Hm, I don’t know. I don’t think I’ve ever had to deal with that, though I can’t really imagine myself being offended because by it. Then again, I haven’t given it much thought.

4 Likes

I remeber while we were trolling I was ded with another dude and he called us all weird for correcting people when they misgender us

3 Likes

Smhhh :rage::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: ok let’s call them she/her from now on and see how they react

1 Like

YEAH :rage::raised_back_of_hand:t3:

2 Likes

People who fight back when you correct them on your pronouns irk me so much

I’ve never been offended by people calling me he/him, especially when I’m using a male avatar in a game, but if I actually correct someone and say please use they/them or she/her I would be incredibly mad if they didn’t listen

1 Like

i get very mad too. it just shows their homophobia, and what’s wrong with using the right pronouns anyway?

2 Likes

It’s so stupid, why would you want to make someone uncomfortable by referring to them with the wrong pronouns?

2 Likes

Personally I call everyone dude if I don’t know their gender.

4 Likes

Replying to 15 threads whoo!

10/15

1 Like

That dude is the one who’s weird. Their ignorance is showing smh.

2 Likes

JUST BECAUSE MY AU NAME IS ZUKO THAT DOESNT MEAN IM A GUY :ANGERY:

2 Likes

Yes, but also outside of games because well… the name “Lee” is a lot more common in guys than in girls.

Rarely, because I don’t really care that much about gender in general. I might correct them if we play for multiple rounds , but if it’s just a one-time game. I don’t bother to correct anyone as I just want to focus on the gameplay itself.

Well unless it’s a game where it clearly states that I’m a girl then it’s a different story.

It mostly happens when I play pvp online or just play a game where all the characters are either male or gender neutral.

2 Likes

Same tho
“It was Skelly I saw him vent” :skull:

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity