Mistakes New Writers Make and How to Avoid Them

Originally published at: https://shanniiwrites.com/2019/07/03/mistakes-new-writers-make-and-how-to-avoid-them/

25 Likes

Bumpā€¦

(Ignore all the notifications you get due to my bumps :sweat:)

Bump

1 Like

WriteBump :pen:

For poor grammar, I know that many new writers have poor grammar (I do lol) especially if they arenā€™t writing in their first language but I havenā€™t seen anyone who says that itā€™s unimportant. If someone said that to meā€¦ I wouldnā€™t know what to say, because it is!

I agree with that you have to read to improve as a writer and be supportive to other writers and ultimately friends.

Mhm, people in general arenā€™t that good at taking criticism but criticism is amazing if you know how to approach it! This is something I have to work on as well because itā€™s kind of hard to take constructive criticism.

Ugh, rip GoT. I bet the books are amazing though! Itā€™s kind of sad that they cut it short, they definitely had the audience and numbers to continue another season. I guess they just didnā€™t want to work on it anymore. :cry:

Donā€™t have a lot to say about the advertising more than there were some awesome tips there.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, and for any writers who are struggling with with grammar, then Iā€™m happy to help proofread your story for you. I have done this for Fraud too. (wink)

2 Likes

Hehe yes, thank you! Very helpful but very scary :see_no_evil: Thaaanks :white_heart:

1 Like

HEHEHEHE! Youā€™re soooo cute.

1 Like

Yess, absolutely!

I donā€™t really think Iā€™m a new writer because I write stories for a few years now. I never made the first two mistakes, grammar was always important to me and I love to check out other peopleā€™s stories!
To mistake 4ā€¦ I still do that one :see_no_evil: I feel bad but I really havenā€™t planned anything about my story other than a rough idea of where I want it to end and the characters I want to see in there. And I probably advertised my story way too soon, but I still got some readers so I donā€™t think it was a big mistake.

Added tags

I say donā€™t avoid the mistake, lean in, hit every traffic cone then look back five years from now and feel embarrassed like the rest of us.

4 Likes

Hey @Bloggers and @Writers, what makes do new writers make and have you made any onf them? Take a read of this and tell me what you think!

Remember that if you really enjoyed this blog, feel free to recommend it (itā€™s similar to liking it). This will help with it being higher in the results of search engines too.

5 Likes

ngl this was one of the blogs i hadnā€™t really paid attention to, as iā€™m technically not a new writer, and i believe that making mistakes is a very important part of the learning process
and well this was a pleasantly surprising read

i agree with Shannii in most points, but (as usual) i have a couple things to add:

Mistake 1: Poor Grammar

while i agree on the fact that grammar is important to stories i must also add that expecting perfect grammar out of everyone can be a classist stanceā€¦ ā€œproper grammarā€ in general can be a classist stance, as it stems from a couple privileged white people dictating whatā€™s right and what isnā€™t
if anyoneā€™s interested on the theory behind this, Ɓngel Rama has some interesting texts on the topic

also, perfect grammar isnā€™t needed in some cases, if you ask me
for example: dialogue

Mistake 7: Only Using Forums to Advertise

i completely agree with this, oneā€™s got to make a name for themself
but iā€™d like to add, itā€™s a good idea to branch out and use social media along with the forums
iā€™ve discovered some great writers because of twitter, for example!

4 Likes

Guys, remember that your first draft isnā€™t meant to be perfect. Thatā€™s why itā€™s a first draft.

Just write down your story, donā€™t go back and edit anything until youā€™re finished unless you might not remember later.

As someone once said, right down your story and then make it look like you knew what you were doing all along.

This is something that has plagued me for a long time and in the long run it probably hindered my progress by trying to make the first draft perfect

1 Like