Native Australians: Some info about them

So I´ve found out most people don´t know about Native Australians so I thought I would give y´all an introduction.

You know how every human lived in Africa before migrating into other places (America, Europe etc) Well, the Native Australians/aborginals are direct descendants of African migrants.

Australian Aboriginals call money-management policy racist | The Star

Full-Blooded Australian Aboriginal Child with Natural Blond Hair | People  of the world, Aboriginal people, Beautiful children

Aboriginal Australians are the various Indigenous peoples of the Australian mainland and many of its islands, such as Tasmania, Fraser Island, Hinchinbrook Island, the Tiwi Islands, and Groote Eylandt, but excluding the Torres Strait Islands. The term Indigenous Australians refers to Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islanders collectively. It is generally used when both groups are included in the topic being addressed. Torres Strait Islanders are ethnically and culturally distinct, despite extensive cultural exchange with some of the Aboriginal groups. The Torres Strait Islands are mostly part of Queensland but have a separate governmental status.

Aboriginal Australians comprise many distinct peoples who have developed across Australia for over 50,000 years. These peoples have a broadly shared, though complex, genetic history, but it is only in the last two hundred years that they have been defined and started to self-identify as a single group. The definition of the term “Aboriginal” has changed over time and place, with family lineage, self-identification and community acceptance all being of varying importance.

In the past, Aboriginal Australians lived over large sections of the continental shelf and were isolated on many of the smaller offshore islands and Tasmania when the land was inundated at the start of the Holocene inter-glacial period, about 11,700 years ago. Studies regarding the genetic make-up of Aboriginal groups are still ongoing, but evidence has suggested that they have genetic inheritance from ancient Asian but not more modern peoples, share some similarities with Papuans, but have been isolated from Southeast Asia for a very long time. Before extensive European settlement, there were over 250 Aboriginal languages.[3][4]

In the 2016 Australian Census, Indigenous Australians comprised 3.3% of Australia’s population, with 91% of these identifying as Aboriginal only, 5% Torres Strait Islander, and 4% both. They also live throughout the world as part of the Australian diaspora.

Most Aboriginal people speak English, with Aboriginal phrases and words being added to create Australian Aboriginal English (which also has a tangible influence of Aboriginal languages in the phonology and grammatical structure).

Aboriginal people, along with Torres Strait Islander people, have a number of health and economic deprivations in comparison with the wider Australian community.

Credit: Wikipedia

The ¨modern¨ Australians you see were Europeans who came into Australians to colonized it, ever since then Native Australians have been treated unfairly. 50 years ago they weren´t even seen as humans, think about that and they were games about shooting them for fun also think about that.

Their culture: Aboriginal Culture Resources | Indigenous Cultural Identity | Australians Together
Aboriginal Australian Culture: One of the Oldest Living Cultures
Australian Aboriginal culture - Wikipedia

Anyway ever since George Floyd, people who were not Native Australians were forced to help deal with the anti-blackness/anti-Aborinal in their country.

Also note: Native Australians have a high suicide rate, the government of Australia used/still do r@pe Aborginals so the would not be any more left, Native Australians deserve better, because of what the ¨new¨ Australians have done and continue to do I don´t feel any sorry for what is happening in their continent/country maybe when they learn to listen to Native Australians the issue would be resolve.

@Discussions what do you think?

4 Likes
2 Likes

Also: do not refer to them as Abriginal, they find it offensive and so refer to them as either Black or Native Australian- as prefered by a lot of them. Though not all feel this way it´s better to not call them Aboriginal unless they tell you themselves. You can also call them Aboriginal people, but the other (Abrininal) is derogatory/offensive

1 Like

thank you so much for telling us all this!
i did not know as much about native australians so it’s great to be able to read more about them!
(also i’ll forever be salty about how badly australia was colonised and how many people don’t speak about it)

2 Likes

Your welcome!

Same! Native Australians deserve better, it´s really sad how they are treated in their own continent and how they voices are usually silenced! Though slowly they are becoming more visible to the eyes with them fighting for their rights more and more.

I hate how they are not even in the face of the continent (same as Native Americans and America)

2 Likes

100% agreed

and i hope they can keep becoming more visible with time

2 Likes

okay yeeted to the #general-chat:debate category and added a couple of tags

And I didn’t know about all of this, so thanks, it was very informative ^.^

2 Likes

they’re literally so beautiful

2 Likes

Ikr!

1 Like

yes :weary:

1 Like

Though I feel terrible for them. This is literally the same thing that happened in America.

@Kristi, I do appreciate what you are trying to do and I do agree. In saying that, you still haven’t got all the information about the native people of Australia and I find this sad for the people of Australia. This does upset me a little 'cause your research is minimal.

A high percentage of the information in the OP was copied and pasted from wiki. Without paraphrasing or sourcing this material, you are acting as if this is your own research and can be a copyright violation. A simple statement at the end of the OP with the source of the information can fix this.

With the information there, it makes it seem like you’re not treating these native people as their own people with their own culture. Grouping then with other “black” cultures around the world. I get that you want to represent then and link it to George Floyd, however, it seems not to touch very much on what Native Australians have been through and mostly about the struggles of Aboriginal groups around the world. It seems a little insensitive considering this thread is bringing awareness to Native Australians.

Also, could you please hide your last note since the mention of suicide can be triggering to some?!

2 Likes

They really are.

Sorry! I just edited it and credited it right now

1 Like

The george floyd one I read it in article and so I said because of George floyd Non-Native australians are being forced to look at the anti-blackness.

And It was just a quick summary if people wanted to know more they could have asked me
Simple: Aboriginal Australians 'still suffering effects of colonial past' - BBC News

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01948-3

How? I grouped them with other black people because they identify as black and people identify them as black. I also literally linked articles/documents about their own culture. I’m sorry but did you read it?

1 Like

Me saying their classified race isn’t problematic/me erasing their identity. I called them black because that’s what they are, I didn’t say they were Africans did I? Or that they were African Americans, black british etc…

I also here describe how they suffered, I didn’t go into detail of what happened but I did say they were dehumanized.

Is this the part you were talking about? Me grouping them with other “black cultures” Also their culture is a black culture just separate/different I never once said they were similar so would you mind telling me where all this is coming from? In fact I didn’t say anything about their culture at all but linked articles about their cultures/some gov. resources

Please actually explain this line because I re-read everything again and can’t find a back up for your claims. How am I not treating them as their own? Is me calling them black (what they are) wrong? Literally that’s how they identify and did I ever compare their cultures to the more “black” cultures/known by the black community?

@CrazyCaliope

Also just to add you could have also included more information.

This is in the general chat/discussion tag so all that I haven’t covered you could have included because the general/discussion chat is a place to discuss.

You could have been like : “Here are some more information about them and since @/sarcastic_badass didn’t cover it all”

Correct me if I’m wrong but you are to also share opinions/stuffs in a discussion place. I of course couldn’t have covered all the suffering they went through, knowing their history it would have been a lot.

So in the “Notes” I just rounded up a few. I see where you are coming from and all that but still??

1 Like

Well then, you perhaps could have linked these articles rather than a wiki article that only touches the surface of their history. Very few users here look at the links anyway, so saying you have more info about linked is nice, yes, but very few search further. Most users here only look at the information given in the post and what they already know, unless it is a subject that interests them enough to look further.

I’m not quite sure this is needed, as it has come across as quite passive-aggressive. I’m not policing your tone, only mentioning that the way this is phrased is quite passive-aggressive text. Also, those on the forums who know me, know I read everything on here. I’m not going to comment on something without reading it first.

Yes, but linking the above if you were making this grouping would have made sense. As I can see why you’ve done this. However, you labelled this thread to bring awareness to the Native people of Australia, yet, you make no reference to how they live now and how have had to survive.

Yes, I saw this, though as this is an awareness, people should know how. Particularly 'cause it’s not widely known but it is STILL happening today. Not only are many groups separate from civilisation, but also children native children are taken from their family. This is all to ‘purify’ Australia. To ‘clean’ them by breeding out their colour and educating them to be white.
I’m sorry, I’m just confused how this is an awareness page for the native people of Australia and doesn’t go into detail about them. Info here is better for discussion than just a link that many won’t read, that’s all.

2 Likes

Just quoting a text is enough, you don’t need to tag me as well, please?

All I’m asking is that you give more detail for discussion than just a copied wiki page and some links since this is an awareness page for the culture.

1 Like