Netflix Recommendation- Heartstopper Premiere

This is basically little more than a Love Letter for the Heartstopper series in all formats…

Alice Oseman is an excellent writer and illustrator (and all I aspire to be despite being 10 years her senior)

I can’t remember exactly when I started following her work, but I do believe it all began with her comic Heartstopper: Read Heartstopper | Tapas Web Comics

On the surface, Heartstopper is a story about the “outcast” and the “popular jock” forming a deeper bond. However, the story tackles far more than that…it tackles acceptance…not just within the friends, family, and partner circles, but also within. The author touches on trauma, mental and emotional health, disorders, the struggles of seeking help, and how the right people by your side provide much-needed support.

The Heartstopper series also includes novelettes (available on kindle and other online shops). As a diehard fan, I’ve collected them all and enjoyed reading each one. However, the big announcement and the most excitement for fans right now is the NETFLIX premiere of a live action adaptation!

unbridled fangirl squealing

Sorry, where was I? Right! The show premieres this weekend on Netflix. Below is the trailer:

5 Likes

I’m soooooo exciiiited! I loved the comics, so so so cute

1 Like

Same here! My family is not going to find me this weekend. I’l be too busy binging.

1 Like

Just adding a couple tags

I’ve watched it, and honestly, it’s one of the most adorable and heartwarming series I’ve ever seen. I really want to read the comics now (cause with how great this series is and how big of a success this is, Netflix better renew for at least another season)

2 Likes

Yesss it was way too cute and very grounded. Since I read the comic before watching the series, I’ve noticed some things that the live action did better and some that the show could never match in terms of the comic. HOWEVER, the young actors all did AMAZING jobs (I just recently found out they were all literally 18 [ I mean, they were still playing 14-15 year olds, but they were still teens themselves!] ). I can’t wait to see how they handle further seasons (I also DREAD so hard what’s to come, since the comic is still further ahead by a good bit).

2 Likes

I watched the show because my friend told me to (I love watching lgbtq+ shows so she said I’d love it) and then I read the webcomic because I loved the show so much.

What I love about Heartstopper is that even though it does touch on darker topics, it’s still a very pure and lighthearted show. I also love how they managed to include representation for both gay men and women, bisexuals and trans people, all while staying away from harmful stereotypes and even including POC representation.

I really hope that they renew it for another season and if you haven’t watched it yet, I highly recommend it!!

@NetflixJunkies

3 Likes

OMG! YES. I binged this last week and really enjoyed it. The representation was awesome to see.

I’m just not too sure about where it could go if they do make a second season.

2 Likes

Oh, Cali…there is so much that happens, you have no idea. If you’ve been paying REALLY close attention to Charlie, you’d have noticed how his traumas have begun manifesting in his mind in a destructive way.

2 Likes

I mean, true. I just hope that they don’t go super cliche with it and like every other series two. SIGH. Just worried.

2 Likes

We get 2 more seasons for sure!!!
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1527635263958097920?s=20&t=tatgCZC9QslBS0zu4uEltQ

4 Likes

Excited Vin Diesel GIF

3 Likes

I’m so excited!!

(All the shows I like on Netflix end up getting cancelled so this was super nice to find out)

4 Likes

I haven’t seen teen boys that accurate since Young Offenders.

1 Like

OMG, I know! I so wanted to know the end of The OA.

4 Likes

OMG! That’s super exciting!

2 Likes

People seem to have completely missed my earlier post.

Except you @JohnnyTuturro, you’re cool.

1 Like

I just know nothing about the young offenders lol

1 Like

Everything you need to know is in the poster, and it is the exact tonal opposite of Heartstoppers. Also, it’s Irish. Possibly the most Irish movie ever made.

1 Like