New Users: Why Did I Get Silenced When I Tried to Post?

Hiya everyone!

I want to apologise profusely for one of the biggest problems we’ve been having on these Forums at the moment and explain what’s going on just a little bit.

If you’re new and you’ve never posted before, a 1 or 2-word post is going to get you silenced automatically. I’m so sorry that this happens. The system is built into the Discourse software and makes life a little harder for all of the newbies out there.

But basically, it happens because Discourse thinks that your first post is a copy-paste if it doesn’t take you long enough to type it. Silly, right? But it’s there because of spam users clogging up Discourse forums.

And while I understand how annoying that might be, I’m sure none of us wants to see those dumb ads about witch doctors and stuff like that. They’re not fun or interesting and when they start, they’re very hard to get rid of. That’s why I can’t do much to stop it.

So please, please! If you’re new, make sure to write a whole sentence for your first post. After that, you’re absolutely fine. Your post can be as long as you want it to be.

If you have friends who are joining the forums, please can you warn them, too?

The problem is that both @ChaoticDeluge and I (@ShanniiWrites) are from the UK, which means we’re asleep during some of the most active hours in the forums. We currently don’t have an active mod who is around every day to fix this for us during that time. And the worst part about all of this is that we’re losing some amazing users because people lose interest when they’re silenced for 6 hours for doing nothing wrong.

It’s annoying and frustrating for us and we will be reviewing our moderation team to see what can be done about this. There are a few candidates who have been super trustworthy, kind and active on the forums that I’d love to recruit onto the team (if they’re interested) as soon as we have a training system going.

Until we can fix this and recruit some new mods, please keep your eyes open and make sure to type a whole sentence!

I’m so, so sorry this is happening.

Shannii

48 Likes

Hey, at least it’s not as bad as the original Episode forums. I couldn’t even make a post for like 2 months on those forums. I only got silenced like twice on here in the beginning. Much better to be honest.

19 Likes

Two Months? Oh my god that’s literally the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.
I swear that’s becoming more frequent for people now so I’m glad to see we have an alternative to that :smile:

6 Likes

I know right! It was really ridiculous. Glad to see you have moved over here!

4 Likes

@ShanniiWrites or @ChaoticDeluge, is there a chance you can give @Or_Killer the option of posting? (She told me that she’s not able to send a message :grimacing:)

That should work now!

Okay, I’ll let her know now. :blush:

@ShanniiWrites, it’s strange. @Or_Killer told me that can’t reply on threads at all.

Bump

1 Like

sorry is this a lead or mod thing but

Bump

1 Like

Anyone can bump! Thank you :heart:

2 Likes

Bump!

Bump ~

If anyone is still having this problem, the staff will fix it asap!

2 Likes

Don’t type too fast kids :eyes:

Bump

Bump!
Just so you know.

1 Like

I’m just going to bump this so new users know what to do when they join :wink::revolving_hearts:

1 Like

Bump