Ninth House | Official RP Thread

enzo|597px;x209px;

╚══ஓ[๑💀๑]ஓ══╝

{ Before School / with Aurora }

Reminder of his morning

In the morning, Vincenzo laid in his bed with his arms over the blankets, and his eyes open. He wanted to rest, but earlier, he woke up and his body knew there would be no going back to sleep. He wasn’t going to dream anything anyway, he seldom did.

It was frustrating, inconvenient. The bags under his eyes were dark, and if you ran your fingers along them, you’d realize they were deep, too, small pits symbolic of the events of last night.

He felt fine for the most part, deciding to sit up, but as soon as he did his head throbbed like getting up had rattled his brain inside his skull. He was so close to not drinking last night, only having a few champagne glasses before running off with Amani, but he just had to take off and finish his flask to free himself. Expected.

For a minute, he thought back to Amani. Was that interaction real? After months of not speaking, he thought they might argue, maybe have a small, bitter interaction because they could not avoid each other around school; but they had been doing fine. Near the end of the last school year, they managed to not speak in class at all. Sometimes they both raised their hands for the same questions, but as soon as one noticed the other, they both looked away just as fast. During that time, he knew they were in the same group; he knew they would eventually have to confront each other once more, so he expected their argument, and honestly, she said everything he thought she would. It was his own actions that he had not predicted. That part had felt so good, but he tuned it out. None of it could happen again.

Perturbed by his thoughts, he threw the covers off from himself, and got up to make himself a coffee. He was too tired to check the footage his camera recorded from after the ball.

In the kitchen, the man opened one of the top cabinets to retrieve his “trusty mug” according to Renlin, which matched his. What the mug said was not important, but he took it and set up the coffee machine where the water began to brew his drink, dark brown liquid dripping swiftly into the white ceramic. As soon as it stopped, Vincenzo removed the mug from the coffee machine, and let it cool down for a few seconds before taking a sip. Hopefully this would give him energy to get through the first day.

After running into… that one person, Vincenzo felt the need to somehow brighten his morning, especially since his first class of the day was going to be unconventional psychology. Professor Longstone was not someone who tolerated the Umbra boys’ nonsense, so that was the one class where they were all sure to behave. Contrary to popular belief, though, Vincenzo was actually a very diligent student. He was a natural at his craft, that was why he was chosen to study at Wyndham, but he needed to be more than just talented to please the headmaster.

Every day at his desk, he would wear a dressed-down version of the posh get-ups he was expected to wear, and sit a bit reclined at his desk, eyes always on his notes or the chalkboard, tapping his pencil on the desk as he waited anxiously for something new to write. It was different for him than his peers. If he made a mistake and received a bad score on an exam, then he was at risk. Let’s say he was on a scholarship of sorts.

This year would be no different, so if he wanted to please Longstone, he had to be in a good mood for it. In the hallway, he was walking off from the commons still before noticing a ginger that he knew all too well. And luckily for him, the man that she spoke with was leaving the scene. It was someone he did not believe himself to have seen at the school before. There wasn’t too much time left before class started, but he felt it wouldn’t hurt to say hello to an old friend.

With a light pace of his steps, he reached the pillar beside which Aurora stood, and stood against it similarly to how he saw the other man do it to tease her. “Not even first period and you’re already flirting with the new students?” He watched her try to conceal her annoyance in that citric way she always did, but the clear frustration in her eyes made him chuckle. “Sorry, you were just being a great host, I’m sure. That’s why you were blushing the whole time,” Vincenzo said again, and naturally smirked a bit.

He searched between her cheeks for her, and found in the center her doe-like charm, tied perfectly together by her black eyes and the little freckles on her face. She looked up at him a bit, from her petite height of about five foot five.

Taking in her gaze, he remembered the last time they spoke: summer. So, about a week ago. He spent his Junes and Julys with the Dear family, so he knew the girl decently well. It was a shame she avoided him like the plague. It was a bit humbling, the way she seemed to view him as a nuisance, but he did not take it to heart. In fact, he considered it a part of her rich girl spiel; the perfect girl who was friends with everyone except those who displeased her first. He just wondered what it was that he had done. In his eyes, all Vinnie had been was pleasant, of course. He only bothered her from time to time by flirting with her friends at their parties, and calling her on her b^llshit when she finished being fake nice. In all honesty, they bickered like siblings, but he saw her in a light that was much different than that, like an occasional crush. Yes, she was obviously beautiful, but in terms of personality, they were too different. He didn’t like her heart.

“Are you ready for Psychology?” He asked, making conversation aside from his snarky remarks to her. “You can walk with me, if you’d like,” Vincenzo offered, and he knew that mentally she would say know, but physically? Well, he wasn’t quite sure yet.

╚══ஓ[๑💀๑]ஓ══╝

@astxrism Aurora

4 Likes

─── ・ 。゚☆: ✦. .✦ :☆゚. ・ ───

“Don’t let it get to your head.” She teased after he told her he’d take what he could get. Even though she hadn’t been able to see him at the ball, she was glad that she had run into him now. Jesse was one of the people she had known the longest at Wyndham and while she knew she had a habit of easily getting attached to people, he was someone she knew she could trust.

She laughed as he praised his and Renlin’s performance, suggesting that they could give Enigma Stag a few pointers. “By all means go ahead, though I’m not sure the other members of my house would take kindly to performance advice from outsiders. Maybe wait until next year.” She added the last bit implying that if he was going to give Enigma unsolicited advice, she would rather not be there when he did. He assured her that the performance was nothing worth stopping for, which really only made her want to know what it entailed more. “Ah. Well, I’ll leave it for now then.”

“Oh really?” She smirked as he told her that she had intrigued him by telling him who she had spent the majority of her night with. “He told me his name was Nic. He didn’t give a last name.” She responded, still finding it strange that the man from the ball had been so withholding with his personal information.

@novella - Jesse

@idiot.exe - Nic mentioned

4 Likes

Dante

Dante’s smirk grew into a playful grin at Ayla’s remark, his eyes dancing with mischief as he leaned back in his seat. “Ah, so you’re the resident doomsday expert, huh?” Dante teased, a hint of mock seriousness in his tone. “Well, lucky for me, I’ve been brushing up on my end-of-the-world survival skills. Can’t have you stealing all the spotlight when the zombies come knocking.”

“And seeing a familiar face during the end times?” Dante continued, a mischievous glint in his eyes. “Well, let’s just hope we don’t get sick of each other’s company before the world goes up in flames. Wouldn’t want to spend eternity bickering over who gets the last cup of coffee.”

Dante couldn’t help but admire Ayla’s quick wit and the way she held her ground, refusing to reveal more than she wanted to. Her response intrigued him, stirring a desire to delve deeper into the layers she kept hidden beneath her sarcastic facade.

He met her level gaze with a knowing smile, appreciating the challenge she presented. “Fair enough,” he replied, his tone playful yet sincere. “But you’ve got to admit, there’s always more to a person than meets the eye. Coffee and sarcasm might be your go-to, but I’ve got a feeling there’s a whole lot more simmering beneath the surface.”

There was a hint of intrigue in Dante’s voice as he spoke, a genuine curiosity to unravel the mystery of Ayla’s guarded demeanor. He leaned in slightly, his eyes sparkling with curiosity. “You’ve piqued my interest, Ayla.”

Dante couldn’t help but chuckle at Ayla’s dry wit, her sarcasm adding an extra layer of amusement to their exchange. He met her raised eyebrow with a playful smirk, a glint of mischief in his eyes.

“Well, I’ll have to work on my confession game then,” Dante replied, his tone light and teasing. “Can’t have you shaking with boredom now, can we?” He took a playful sip of his own coffee, enjoying the banter and the opportunity to match wits with Ayla.

“And as for clichés,” Dante continued, his grin widening, “I suppose there’s a reason they become classics, right? Sometimes a little predictability can be just what we need to shake things up.” His words carried a hint of sincerity beneath the humor, a silent acknowledgment of the comfort and familiarity that clichés can provide in the midst of uncertainty.

As Ayla smiled kindly, Dante felt a warmth spread through him, a sense of connection forming between them despite the playful banter. “And as for needing a little thrill outside of academia,” Dante continued, a mischievous glint in his eyes, "That makes the two of us." He thought he would keep the suspense a bit, by adding, “Who needs textbooks when you’ve got rooftops and hidden alleys to explore?”

Dante’s eyes sparkled with hidden excitement as he dropped the hint, a subtle nod to his own love for adventure beyond the confines of traditional learning. He leaned in slightly, his voice lowering conspiratorially as if sharing a secret.

“You ever find yourself craving a different kind of thrill?” he asked, his tone laced with anticipation. “Like the rush of the wind as you leap from one rooftop to another, or the adrenaline that comes from discovering a hidden passage in the heart of the city?”

2 Likes

Copy of Copy of Silas (1)

[[[ ౨ৎ]

“But that’s already crystal clear,” Amani said matter of factually as Tae had suggested that perhaps the satisfaction of hearing him admit his pain might lift her spirits, but she merely tilted her head, considering him with an analytical gaze… “Though, I’m saving that in my memories for first of a time,” He had then began to focus on her next words, surprise evidently in his voice as he questioned 'Wait, did I just become a lab rat

“Maybe,” She said, her expression not giving anything away, “But hey, at least you feel better than before.” She tried to maintain her composure, attempting to suppress the smile that tugged at the corners of her mouth. Turning away from Tae so he wouldn’t see the grin spreading across her face, she struggled to regain her stern demeanor. But it was futile. The absurdity of the situation, coupled with Tae’s bewildered expression, sent her into fits of giggles as she collapsed onto her bed. After some seconds, Amani finally sat up, her eyes sparkling with mischief, her earlier facade of seriousness completely shattered. “If you want, I could lie to you and tell you that you’re not a lab rat,” Her smile dropped for a bit, as she titled her head to look at Tae, placing her hand on his forehead to check for any increase of temperature, but thankfully there was nothing. “How are you feeling though?” She questioned her eyes on him.

Just as the mood had lightened, a playful breeze lifting the heaviness of their earlier exchange, Amani’s thoughts took a more serious turn. Her gaze, which had been drifting aimlessly, sharpened as she asked, almost casually, about her fiancé and her father. She expected some news, a tidbit or two to quench her curiosity, but Tae’s response left her more baffled than before.

He had heard nothing. Even he, who usually had his ear to the ground, had been left in the dark by her father—an occurrence rare and perplexing enough to warrant concern. As for Azriel, his silence was less surprising. Mystery was Azriel’s second nature and besides, “Right, Azriel does not like you much,” Amani mused, a glint of amusement flickering in her eyes as she glanced at Tae from the corner of her vision.

“You can’t blame him for that one though,” she continued, leaning her head against Tae’s shoulder in a rare gesture of affection, her voice tinged with teasing. “You always provoke him.” Though, Azriel was easily provoked by Tae due to their closeness, and it definitely did not get better after that party, “Remember the party, after we came out from there? He was so mad,” Amani laughed as she recalled a specific memory.

She finished smoothing the cream onto her skin, her eyes on Tae as he looked up at the ceiling, respectfully avoiding her as she changed, “True, but if not you then who, Renlin?” She had asked as if the whole idea of Renlin being mature was absurd, “Or what Inessa? You know she’s a coward, So for mature Dunmans we are left with Felicity and you, as unfortunate as it is,” She teased. Tae then went on to explain the situation, causing Amani to scoff- of course, that situation had happened, again, one would think that after a while, Renlin would get over the fact that Uncle Wes remarried, damn he most have been in love with both the old wife and Uncle Wes, probably wanted to be a trouple- bad case of incest right there. "It’s a good thing, then, that bigfoot thoughts amount to nothing, and will continue to amount to nothing, so just ignore him or use your magic,’ Amani said exaggerating the last part with a small smile.

When Tae asked about Renlin making a fool of himself, Amani rolled her eyes dramatically. “He was apparently hammered and went on this whole rant about Miles or something along those lines, had to get dragged off the stage by Jesse, and got in trouble with Adrian,” Amani explained.

She smiled at his playful eye-roll but quickly grew serious when the topic shifted. “Today,” Amani stated as Tae questioned when she got the dream., “It was a different scene, and for some reason, I feel like I remember it, like it wasn’t just a dream.” She expressed thoughtful, “She was standing there, her face blurry as always but it was obvious she was frightened, through her movements. She was screaming something about how the answer was not and she should not when her voice wavered, the scene flickered, and she fell to her knees before everything faded to black.”

Amani paused, her fingers fidgeting with the edge of the pillow on her lap. “ It’s strange because it feels so familiar, like it’s something from a long time ago that I can’t quite place. It’s unsettling. I don’t know if it means something, but it feels significant, like there’s a message I’m supposed to understand. It’s not just a random dream; it feels like a memory or a warning.” She looked into Tae’s eyes, 'Any idea what it could possible mean?"

@Caticorn

5 Likes

RenNew
After the fight, Renlin didn’t really know where to go or what to do. Adrenaline rushed through his body, but his mind seemed to go blank. The thoughts racing through his head before and during the altercation were now silenced. A hush fell over him, one he wasn’t used to.

The cold, sterile environment was a stark contrast to the heated chaos he had just left. As he stepped inside, he noticed his best friend, Vinnie, sitting at the small table with a bag of frozen peas pressed to his own face.

Raising an eyebrow at the sight of his friend and wondering if he would make a comment on his own appearance. A wry smile grew onto his lips.

“There are more peas on the right side of the freezer,”

Ignoring the advice, Renlin reached into the freezer and grabbed the steak instead, pressing it to his throbbing face. He made his way to the table and slumped into a chair across from Vinnie, who was nursing his own injuries with the peas.

“Steak. I’m going old school,” Renlin remarked with a smirk, shifting the steak to a higher spot on his face.

Renlin managed a tired grin. “I always did like the classics.”

“Do you want to share first, or should I?”

Renlin shook his head, chuckling. "Can you imagine the gossip if we did get in a fight? 'Renlin and Vinnie, best of buddies, the great Umbra brothers, turn on each other. The world must be ending.”

Renlin sighed, the humor fading from his expression. “Tae So. People were talking about Isaac, and I just lost it. One minute I was clarifying some stuff about his family, and the next, we were throwing punches.”

Renlin leaned back, the steak still pressed against his face. “I know thats that’s no excuse. I should’ve kept my cool. I just… I don’t know. Sometimes it feels like I’m not in control.”

Renlin thought back to the fight, a wave of guilt washing over him. How could he let his hands go to that place? A place that, if he didn’t find control, could cause death. He clenched his jaw, the memory of his hands tightening around Tae So’s neck haunting him. He wasn’t a killer. He wasn’t like his cousin.

The anger that had driven him seemed distant now, replaced by a sickening realization. He had crossed a line, teetered on the edge of becoming something he despised. Tae So’s face, contorted with fear and pain, flashed in his mind, and he felt a pang of regret.

He glanced at Vinnie, who was watching him but he couldn’t read his expression. “I lost control,” Renlin admitted quietly.

Renlin wasn’t really an angry person. Confused, yes, and mostly disoriented. The chaos of his thoughts often left him feeling lost, but anger was a rare visitor. Tonight, though, had been different. He had let something dark and primal take over, something he didn’t fully understand.

He leaned back in his chair, pressing the cold steak to his bruised face. The kitchen was quiet except for the hum of the fridge and Vinnie’s occasional rustling as he shifted the bag of peas. Renlin tried to pinpoint where things had gone wrong, where he had lost his grip on himself.

“Do you ever feel like you’re not really in control?” Renlin asked, breaking the silence. “Like there’s something else pulling the strings?”

The dreams, the strange sense of being guided by an unseen force—it all felt too real to dismiss as mere stress. These weren’t just ordinary nightmares. They felt vivid, almost like memories that didn’t belong to him. Every detail was sharp and clear, the emotions raw and intense.

In these dreams, he found himself in strange places. There were always people in these dreams, their faces obscured or shrouded in shadows, but their presence was unmistakable. They moved with purpose, driven by a mission Renlin couldn’t understand but felt compelled to follow.

One recurring figure stood out—a tall man with piercing eyes that seemed to see right through him. This man never spoke, but his presence filled Renlin with a mix of fear and curiosity. It was as if he held the answers to all of Renlin’s questions, but the closer Renlin got, the further away the man seemed.

The dreams often ended in violence. Not just any violence, but a kind that felt disturbingly familiar. Renlin would wake up with his heart racing, his body covered in a cold sweat, and an overwhelming sense of guilt and dread. He’d find bruises on his arms and legs, scratches that he couldn’t explain. It was as if the battles he fought in his sleep left real marks on his body.

He’d tried to talk to his sister, Inessa, about the dreams once. She listened patiently, her eyes full of concern, but in the end, she didn’t understand. How could she? It sounded insane, even to him. He’d brushed it off, joked about needing to lay off the late-night horror movies, but the truth was, he was scared. Scared of what these dreams meant, scared of what they were doing to him.

As he sat in the kitchen now, nursing his bruised face with a frozen steak, the weight of those dreams pressed heavily on his mind. Maybe they were more than just dreams. Maybe they were trying to tell him something, warn him about something. But what? And why him?

“Your turn, please share,” Renlin said, crossing his legs as he sat in the mostly too small chair and pressing the cold steak against his swollen face. He tried to focus on Vinnie, hoping to push his own troubled thoughts to the back of his mind, at least for a little while.

Despite the chaos and the fights, having Vinnie by his side made everything a little more bearable. Vinnie had been there through thick and thin, always ready with a sarcastic remark or a helping hand.

Thinking about their friendship, Renlin felt a surge of gratitude. Vinnie was more than just a friend; he was like a brother. Renlin knew he didn’t say it enough, but he was genuinely thankful for Vinnie’s constant support and companionship.

Renlin reflected on the day he and Vinnie first met. It was like fate had brought them together, two misfits destined to become an unstoppable duo.

They had started off as unlikely friends, drawn together by their shared sense of humor and love for mischief. But as time went on, their friendship deepened, evolving into something more profound. They became each other’s confidants, always there to lend an ear or offer a shoulder to lean on.

As Renlin glanced over at Vinnie, he couldn’t help but smile. They may have started off as two separate individuals, but now partners in crime, brothers in arms—whatever you wanted to call it, they were in it together, and that was the deal.

Renlin’s heart swelled with a mixture of determination and apprehension as he watched Vinnies lips move. They had been through so much together, facing a certain challengehead-on as a team. The weight of responsibility hung heavy on Renlin’s shoulders as he contemplated how to help his friend.

They had been working on this particular issue for what felt like ages, trying to find a solution that would finally bring them peace. But despite their best efforts, they always seemed to hit a dead end. Renlin feared that this time would be no different—that they would once again find themselves trapped in a cycle of frustration and disappointment.

Renlin couldn’t ignore the rumbling in his stomach any longer, so he rose from his seat and made his way to the freezer. “Keep talking, I’m listening,” he reassured Vinnie as he rummaged through the frosty shelves. With a triumphant grin, he retrieved a tub of cookies and cream ice cream and snagged two large spatulas.

Returning to his spot beside Vinnie, Renlin settled back in, ready to devour his sweet treat while continuing their conversation.

@raviola boyfriend

My first was better sigh

5 Likes

─── ・ 。゚☆: ✦. Cloned .✦ :☆゚. ・ ───

Lenore held her breath as the guy got closer to her, touching her hair. She made a note to thoroughly wash her hair once this whole ordeal was done. “Get off of me.” She demanded as she pushed him off of her to the best of her ability.

She wasn’t sure what her plan was when she agreed to take the poor soul that they were barely keeping alive; if that was even their goal. She just wanted to get rid of them as quickly as she could because there was no way she could help him while they were there. They began mocking her, questioning whether she would be able to carry the boy without help.

“Even if I did, I wouldn’t accept it from the likes of you.” She fired back while trying to prepare herself to take on the boy’s weight. She wouldn’t exactly consider herself strong in the physical sense but she wasn’t weak either and was convincing herself that with the right hold on him, she could transport him at least a bit away from the a*sholes who currently had him in their possession. They didn’t have him for much longer, though and Lenore tensed as they dropped him for a second time, this time right in front of her feet. She watched him, anxiously waiting for him to move.

“Che cazzo ti prende?!” She cursed when he didn’t, her anger and shock causing her to revert to her native language. At this point, her sense of self-preservation was being smothered by her need to help the boy on the ground. “Why don’t you both go back to whatever hole you crawled out of and leave us alone? I think you’ve done more than enough.” She yelled before turning her attention away from them and kneeling down beside the boy.

“Are you alive?” She softly asked, watching for any sign of acknowledgement. She didn’t want to touch him just yet, not wanting to startle him or cause him more pain.

@idiot.exe - Nic

Translation

che cazzo ti prende - what the f*ck is wrong with you

3 Likes

Copy of Copy of Silas (1)

[[[Musica ౨ৎ])]

Amani raised an eyebrow, the ghost of a smirk tracing her lips as she spoke.“Indeed, everyone has their reasons, motives as varied as the human heart itself. In your particular instance, the motive was nothing more sublime than simple lust,” she retorted, her voice a playful, sarcastic lilt. She stepped closer, her gaze fixing Arya with a piercing intensity. " “And, as we both know too well, we have all dallied with our share of grievous errors and entanglements.” That last night was a testament to such folly was a relief known only to herself, Jesse, and him . it was a good thing, Arya did not know of such thing nor could it be used against her. “Some more than others,” Amani mused, a flicker of amusement lighting her eyes as they settled on Arya. “But errors belong to the past, to the realm of things we vow never to repeat. One can hardly hold such missteps against another, can they? And who’s to say my illness was feigned?” Her lips curved into a wry smile. “The chill in the air lately isn’t just a figment, after all.”

Turning to walk away, Arya—ever quick with a biting remark—uttered something that rooted Amani to the spot. For a moment, she stood rigid, collecting herself, hoping Arya had missed the brief stiffening of her posture.

With a calculated turn, Amani faced Arya again, her eyes locking onto hers with a renewed, steely resolve. “Oh, I wouldn’t dream of boring you with history,” s he began, her voice a smooth, controlled cascade. “After all, the past is a tedious thing, isn’t it? Far more exhilarating to discuss the here and now… and what may yet come. This isn’t, after all, a history lesson.” Her mouth twisted into a faint, insincere smile as she rolled her eyes and pivoted back to the poetry displayed on the walls. Amani had previously questioned Arya’s choice to exhibit her own verses, dismissing it as sentimental after hearing her explanation. Her gaze narrowed slightly, a smirk playing at her lips as she observed Arya, poised against the pillar. “Charm, you say? Perhaps there’s something to that,” she replied, her voice carrying a probing undertone. “Charm, however, is a deceptive beast. It draws you in, cloaking stark realities with a veneer of beauty. Yet there is a certain charm in the illusion of sentiment, trite though it may be.”

Leaning in over Arya’s shoulder to glance at the poem in her grasp, Amani was silent, a whirlwind of thoughts kept unspoken until Arya dared to break the silence with a tone both light and sarcastically edged. “Oh, please,” she scoffed, her usual sharpness softened as she straightened, stepping back from the poem as though distancing herself from the stirrings of emotion it evoked. “Captivating verses, Sellenova. I’ll grant you that,” Amani conceded, her voice dropping to a colder, more distant timbre. “But do not mistake my interest for anything beyond an intellectual curiosity. I do appreciate good art, even when it verges on the melodramatic. After all, appreciating the arts is part of our nature—not everyone is a hopeless romantic or dreamer like your kind. Some of us already possess all that we need.” Her voice was cool and composed, her eyes returning to her nails, considering perhaps a manicure would indeed be a pleasant diversion on the morrow.

As they traveled deeper into the botanical conservatory, they had found themselves in a room of illusions , as Amani began to explain to Arya. They had landed in a mirror, and had placed their fingers on it, dreams- wishes and desires enchanted them as they looked within, until finally, the vision blurred and Amani broke free from the illusions. She had taken a moment to think, to brush her skirt, as she turned back to look at Arya who seemed to be in deep thoughts. After some seconds, she had snapped Arya away from her thoughts, asking her what she had seen. To that, she had said possibility. Perhaps, it was due to the fact that Amani did not want to be asked what she had seen or maybe it was something else, but Amani had simply nodded, not pressing further as she had told Arya to choose a mirror. The mirror Arya had chosen, Amani had not seen before nor had she used before, it was a strange mirror, one with an otherworldly glow, one that also drew her in and she wondered, why had she not gazed upon this mirror. She approached it, along with Arya. Unlike the other mirrors, this mirror was not empty- indeed, it was not reflecting Amani or Arya, but it was reflecting behind them, making Amani even more curious. Intrigued and cautious, Amani extended her hand, her fingertips just grazing the cool, seemingly fluid surface. Instantly, a low hum rose from the core of the mirror, and the room was filled with a soft, opalescent light. The surface of the mirror began to swirl with colors, forming and re-forming into shapes and scenes that pulsed with the rhythm of some unseen heartbeat.

As Amani’s fingertips made contact with the enigmatic surface of the mirror, a ripple of anticipation coursed through the air. The room seemed to hold its breath, caught in the suspense of what revelations this mysterious artifact might unveil.

But as soon as Amani’s touch met the mirror for the second time, a sudden, sharp crack shattered the silence, echoing through the chamber like a thunderclap. Before anyone could react, the mirror fractured into countless shards, each glinting with an ethereal light before scattering across the floor in a chaotic symphony of glass and shadow.

Amani blinked rapidly, her gaze fixed on Arya, who stood frozen in disbelief. The air crackled with an electric tension as Amani’s mind raced to comprehend the abrupt turn of events.

With a surge of determination, Amani summoned her shadow manipulation powers, tendrils of darkness coiling around her fingers as she reached out to pluck a broken shard from the wreckage. But as soon as her fingertips brushed against the fractured glass, a wave of dizziness washed over her, and the world around her seemed to warp and twist, as if reality itself were unraveling at the seams.

In an instant, Amani found herself engulfed in a whirlwind of illusions, her senses overwhelmed by a cacophony of sights and sounds that bore no resemblance to the tranquil confines of the botanical conservatory. She blinked rapidly, as she looked around- seeing Arya and at first Amani thought It was an illusion, not the real one, but there was something distinct about the way Arya moved that let Amani know it was not an illusion.

Confusion knotted in her stomach as she tried to reconcile the discrepancy between what she knew to be true and what her senses were telling her. Their illusions should not be intertwined—each shard of the mirror was supposed to reveal individual truths, not merge their realities into a single, incomprehensible mess.

With a sinking feeling, Amani realized that they were no longer in the botanical conservatory, no longer surrounded by the familiar sights and sounds of their world. Instead, they stood in a realm of shadows and whispers, a place where the boundaries between illusion and reality had blurred beyond recognition.

which mirror was this? Amani wondered. A sense of foreboding washed over her as she surveyed their surroundings, the oppressive weight of the unknown pressing down on her like a suffocating blanket. Every shadow seemed to pulse with hidden secrets, every whisper a cryptic riddle waiting to be unraveled.

She took a step towards Arya, her fingers flickering her forehead, trying to check if she was real, and at Arya’s reaction, Amani could tell that this was very much the real Arya. “I was hoping you were a illusion,” Amani said her tone strange, as something started to sink in. “We need to find a way out of here,” she declared, her voice cutting through the eerie silence like a knife. “This isn’t like the other mirrors,” She said, ready to find ways to escape from here, but then, amidst the darkness, she saw it—a flicker of movement, a shape looming in the shadows. Amani’s breath caught in her throat as she beheld the vision before her, her blood turning to ice in her veins.

It was a reflection of herself, but twisted and distorted, a grotesque parody of the woman she knew. Her eyes were hollow and empty, devoid of the spark of life that usually burned within them. Her skin was pallid and gaunt, stretched tight over bones that jutted out at odd angles.

Amani recoiled in horror, unable to tear her gaze away from the nightmarish apparition that stared back at her with vacant eyes. This was no mere illusion—it was a manifestation of her deepest fears. “F*ck” Amani cursed, her voice not the usual poised collected tone it was, this was the mirror of fears. Well, she did not know if that was the exact name, but she could tell, that it was the illusion of fears, nightmares or whatever one might wish to call it, no wonder the mirror had broken, and trapped them hear together, it was trying to scare them. “This,” Amani began, her tone quite shaky. “Is the mirror of nightmares, I believe.”

@CerealKiller

3 Likes

RenNew
Maybe he was rude for asking this girl for a Kleenex, but he had blood trickling from his eyebrow, and that wasn’t ideal. He watched her rummage through her bag, pulling out a small packet of tissues.

“Thanks,” Renlin replied, pressing the tissue against the cut. “Just had a bit of a rough morning."

Renlin," he said, managing a smile despite the throbbing pain in his face. “Not the best first impression, I know.”

He looked at her really for the first time now that he wasn’t distracted with his wound. She was short, really short. And that was saying something since he was somewhat of a giant. Thanks, Father!

Renlin noticed the details now. She had an edgy style, with medium length, maybe choppy hair that framed her face. Her clothes were a mix of vintage and modern, at least that’s what he thought. She carried herself with an air of confidence, despite her small stature.

“I think you might need more than just that. Isn’t there a nurse or something?” she said to him, her concern evident.

Renlin was highly against that. If he went there, odds were the head man in charge would find out, and Renlin didn’t feel like spending time in his office anytime soon again—not twice within 24 hours at least.

He shook his head. “Nah, it’s just a scratch. I’ve had worse.” He waved it off, trying to sound nonchalant.

“What’s your deal? Anything else in that bag that’s more interesting than a Kleenex? I mean, it saved my day. Maybe you’re my guardian angel?” Renlin teased, half-serious, half-joking, as he glanced at the bag she was carrying. he had asked, trying to shift the focus away from his battered face and the fight with Tae So.

He didn’t know her. She must be new. Renlin prided himself on knowing everyone, and new people always intrigued him. He watched her for a moment, taking in her short stature and style. She seemed out of place and yet completely self-assured.

As he pondered, his fingers instinctively found their way into his pocket, searching for the familiar comfort, one of hai coins. Feeling the cool metal against his skin, he gripped it tightly in his palm, a grounding presence amid the chaos of his thoughts.

As he stood there, gripping the coin in his pocket and taking in the new girl, his mind wandered to what his sister, Inessa, would say when she found out about the fight. Inessa had always been the more level-headed of the two, often playing the role of his moral compass. She would undoubtedly be disappointed, maybe even angry.

He could already picture her face, a mix of frustration and concern, her brow furrowing as she crossed her arms and gave him that look. Renlin sighed inwardly, imagining the inevitable lecture about thinking before acting, about not letting his emotions get the better of him. She’d remind him of their family’s precarious reputation and how his actions reflected on all of them.

But deeper than her disappointment, he knew she’d be worried. Inessa had always been protective, ever since they were kids. She would want to know every detail, why he had gotten into a fight, and if he was okay. She’d ask about Tae So, too, and whether the rift between their families had widened even further.

Renlin’s grip on the coin tightened. He hated disappointing her. Inessa had been through enough without him adding to her worries. He wanted to find a way to explain it all to her, to make her understand why he had lost control. Maybe she would have some advice, something that could help him navigate this mess.

But for now, he pushed those thoughts aside, focusing on the present moment. There would be time to deal with Inessa’s reaction later. Right now, he had to figure out how to clean up and make a better impression on the new girl, despite the blood and bruises.

@novella freeeyyyaa

3 Likes

Copy of Copy of Copy of Silas

[𓆩⟡𓆪 𓆩⟡𓆪 𓆩⟡]

“It’s not your job to look after me.” Though those words were uttered frankly, Thalia had also stated it to make a point—the fact that it was really not Desdemona’s job to look after her. They were friends, yes, close friends if you will, whose friendship had not been quite long but still had managed to click in no time. Thalia appreciated Desdemona—no, that was not the right word. There wasn’t truly a word Thalia could use to describe her feelings for Desdemona and how happy she was to have her. But at the same time, Thalia worried for her. She was worried that Desdemona was taking on too much.

Desdemona’s willingness to help, to be there for Thalia in every way possible, was admirable. It was endearing and touching, but it was also a source of concern. Thalia feared that in her eagerness to support, Desdemona might be neglecting her own needs and happiness. Desdemona had once told Thalia she was the center of her world, and Thalia had smiled at that, laughed at that even as she gave her a hug and a kiss on her cheek on how innocents those words sounded, but she wondered, how much did Mona mean that truly.

"But I want to!" Desdemona had interrupted, and Thalia couldn’t help but smile despite herself. There was something fiercely endearing about Mona’s determination to make her feel better, even if it was misguided. Thalia’s headache pulsed, reminding her of her own frailty, but she pushed it aside. She needed to be present, for Mona’s sake.

“I know you do,” Thalia smiled as Desdemona swung their hands forward and back, “But really, you also have to take care of your own self. And besides, really, I’m okay, I can handle my own self, today was Just a little rough morning, that’s all.” Now, Thalia wasn’t too sure of the ‘i can handle my own self’ part, but maybe if she could convince herself and Desdemona enough, it will come true

When Desdemona started talking about Esther, Thalia’s focus sharpened. Near death? Not an accident? There was so many implications on this, so many reasons that seemed to connect back to each other. It was strange really, how during the day when the Headmaster had finally acknowledged the disappearance of North, Esther suddenly fell ill, almost close to death. Direct or indirectly, these two situations had to be connected in some way or form, and Thalia wanted- no, she needed to know more about the situation. “If it wasn’t an accident, do you think someone did it on purpose? Or was it some kind of magical backlash?” She was careful with her questions, not wanting to push Desdemona too hard or cause alarm when there was not yet proved need for alarm, “It’s okay, if you don’t know,” Thalia had said softly, “But did you happen to hear something? Other than Atlas, was another name mentioned?” She questioned, "Sorry, am I asking too many questions? " She let out a small laugh, one she hoped did not sound quite too nervous, “I’m just really intrigued by all this,”

“Think of super man,” Thalia had alluded to, with a playful shrug of the shoulders, “He does not even wear a mask and yet people can’t tell his identity, because he’s wearing different clothes and his posture has changed. It’s the same way with masquerade balls, I think, or well, how I understand them. We can become someone entirely different with just a mask and a change in demeanor.” There was a sense of relief Thalia had gotten, wearing that mask at the ball, because, yes, indeed even though her mask did not fully cover her face, there was still a sense of protection from them. Even if she did stupid shxt, she had the mask to blame. It allowed her to act more freely, without the usual fear of judgment as people who aren’t used to seeing her everyday, cannot really tell it’s her- oh, well accurately make out her face.

“Maybe his story wasn’t true, but maybe he wants it to be, you know? For something like that to happen, so he tells it to himself and others with the hope that it might. I wouldn’t hold that against him.”

True, Thalia also could not hold that against him. She was a writer after all, and a photographer- one who tells stories, whether fake or real true words and pictures, creating a sense of ‘there-ness’ for things that aren’t really ‘there’. And Thalia was definitely not much of a truther herself, she was a liar- she would admit, one who lies when needed for her own benefit, so she supposed it would be quite hypocritical to judge him. “Mmm,” Thalia mused, “I suppose we can’t really hold that against him,” Though Thalia was quite sure that was not the reason he had told the lie- he had merely lied for the sake of lying, because he was bored and because he was a performer, but it seemed that Desdemona was quite impressed by him, even if it was under some deluded fantasy, and Thalia did not want to break her spirit, or argue with her, really- especially not now.

It’s strange still, really, the idea that Atlas and Esther- two people she wouldn’t have really connected together in her web, had some connections with each other- a history of some sorts, whatever that history was. She should take note of this, be sure to add it later. Thalia reached into her pocket, bringing out her phone, typing the password- *****, she opened her note apps and wrote, Esther and Atlas- connected??? and then swiftly placed her phone back inside her pocket. Her attention back at Desdemona.

They had continued talking, Desdemona’s sharing her worries, when she had suddenly shared a noise about side effects, causing Thalia’s eyes to widen. Side effects? What does she mean side effects? Thalia wondered, as she cupped Desdemona’s jaw, albeit a tad bit roughly, What happened, tell me? She had asked, worried visible in her tired eyes as she continued her questions, asking if she needed to be taken to the school nurse, and Thalia did not know what she was expecting, but it was definitely not the reaction Desdemona had. Desdemona had threw her crossed arms open, making Thalia stumble a bit in shock as she blinked rapidly. huh? Was she scared of the nurse or something along those lines? She had never seen Desdemona respond this way, and her eyes watched Desdemona’s as Thalia regained her composure, walking closer to her again, as Desdemona quickly apologized.’ I just felt a little dizzy, but that’s normal’ Sure, just dizziness, Thalia definitely believed that, yup just dizziness, that was why she responded the way she did, sureeeee. “Alright, no nurse,” ,she agreed gently, though her gaze still meticulously scanned Desdemona’s features for any other signs of distress, “Any reason why though?” Thalia had said this in a manner that suggested ‘you could keep me in the dark or you could tell me’ to not alarm Desdemona. She wanted to see, if Desdemona would lie to her again, or if she would give an actual reason, though she was not going to force it out.

Do you really think they’ll like me? Thalia turned to face Desdemona, as she turned on her camera. “No,” At this, Thalia’s face was blank but her eyes was quite playfully, signifying she was joking, “They will love you She had place dos much emphasis on the word love. “Wyndham needs someone like you, this days, it’s too gloomy,” She grimaced. When her camera had finally turned on, a bright smile had reached Thalia’s face, as she scrolled quickly pass photos that were ‘suspicious’ into the more ‘normal innocent ones’ . “Alright, let’s take a little journey through Wyndham together,” she said, her tone light and playful.

Thalia began showing Desdemona the snapshots she had captured: the grandeur of the campus buildings, the serene beauty of the gardens, and the bustling energy of the students going about their day

“And here,” she said, pausing on a particularly scenic shot of the sunset painting the sky in hues of pink and gold, “is where we’ll make countless memories together.”

@raviola

a little trashy but i tried my best

3 Likes

𓆩[⟡𓆪 𓆩⟡𓆪 𓆩⟡]

Clone

Thalia found herself meandering towards the hallowed halls of Enchanted Music compositions, propelled by a conversation with Desdemona that lingered in the shadows of her thoughts. The prospect of attending class didn’t exactly spark excitement within her; however, the residue of their exchange seemed to infuse her with a peculiar sense of renewal. Skipping classes was never Thalia’s style; the aftermath of catching up with missed work often proved more burdensome than the class itself. Mercifully, the day’s proceedings were benign, the first post-vacation session lending itself to casual conversation. Thalia, as was her custom, allowed her attention to wander, her gaze fixed vacantly upon the window’s view as she tapped her fingers on her desk. When class had ended, she had been the first to leave, to head to her other morning classes.

When the clock had hit 1:30 pm signifying Thalia’s lunch period, instead of the cafeteria, she had headed straight to the library, she wasn’t particularly hungry, and if she does get hungry, she had snacks inside her bag, so it wasn’t really a cause for concern. She tended to do this- every other day, heading to the library instead of the cafeteria, for many many reasons- one, because she genuinely enjoyed the library, it was quiet, a great way to look at all the photos she had taken, to analyze them and maybe start on an essay or two, some days before it is due, and also because she was sure that he was not come here, it was an easy way to avoid him and an easy way to catch up with all kinds of ‘work’- a win-win situation if you asked her.

Thus, when she opened the door to the library, Thalia had felt a sense of serene as she basked in the library’s peacefulness, it was a huge- HUGE contrasts to the events of last night and she let out a peaceful sigh at that, slipping into her usual spot at one of the study tables, her bag gently settling on the chair beside her as she extracted her sketchbook. She had stood up momentarily, to grab a textbook, to put below her sketchbook. She liked to doodle some times, it was a good way to remove stress, and analyze her photos, by doodling all that she sees in those pictures- the foreground, the background, the outfits, all of that. She had taken her camera from her bag, closing her eyes as she scrolled through the photos in it, which ever photo she opens her eyes too, that was the one she was going to doodle for a while, she decided. After some seconds, her eyes had shot open, and she pursued her lips as she landed on a photo of her- the girl from yesterday who Thalia did not know the name of.

God, yesterday was quite embarrassing, and Thalia was not quite sure if she wanted to doodle this picture as it was sure to remind her of the events of yesterday, no? But she had promised, she had promised herself she was to choose a photo to doodle, and besides she was probably not going to see that girl, again so what was the harm?

She had brought out her pencil case and began to sketch, doodling people behind the brunette, then doodling her dress, and when it was time to doodle her face, Thalia erased and erased- as she could not quite get the nose right, or her eyes due to the fact it was covered by a mask. shxt, she cursed, why is this so hard? she questioned to herself as she erased for the 9th time. Really, she was close to given up, and just starting another story- or maybe leaving the library to take a couple pictures, when she had froze.

There-standing near one of the library sections, was the girl from last night looking conflicted. Thalia’s first reaction, was to panic, to slip away before the short brunette noticed her, but she stayed still- blinking and unsure of what to do, until the brunette titled her head to the side, giving Thalia a pretty good idea on how to attempt to sketch her nose and eye from the side. Still, with how quickly she had titled her head, Thalia was scared she had seen her at first, but that did not seem to be the case, so Thalia had calmed down, squinting her eyes to get a better look at the girl’s features. as she committed it to her memory. She made a mental note of the way her hair fell in soft waves around her face, the curve of her jawline, the slight furrow of her brow. She had doodled it all, her hand’s soft, and carefully as she captured the girl’s likeness on paper, a soft smile on her face, though as soon as that smile had come, that smile had immediately seized to an end, as Thalia closed her notebook, seeing her approach. “Hey,” Thalia began, hoping to play it cool, “Can I be of help?” She had questioned, arching a brow- hoping that the girl did not recognize her and if she did, she wrote off the events of last night as a simple drunken accident, and be off in her merry way or maybe Thalia should try apologizing, but that is of course, only if the girl did remember her.

@novella - Freya

1 Like

InessaNew-ezgif.com-optimize

“You should go catch up with your friends, huh?” Hayes said to her, a weak smile playing on his lips. Their hands parted, and she instinctively reached for the strap of her bag.

They were now in music class, a place Inessa adored. Music had always been a highlight of her life. She had been taught to play many instruments, but the piano was her first love, a talent inherited from her mother. The violin, too, held a special place in her heart, its haunting melodies resonating with her soul. Yet, dancing to the music was her ultimate joy…

The sight of the gleaming instrument brought a small, genuine smile to her face. She glanced back at Hayes, catching his eye for a brief moment.She nodded towards him, the corners of her mouth turning up slightly. Yeah, I guess I should," she agreed softly, her voice carrying a mixture of reluctance and acceptance.

Did she really want to say goodbye to him? Not really, but they didn’t hang out much outside the library or walks around campus. They had different groups of friends, and she was not one for mixing friend groups. Sometimes she would wonder what it would be like to bridge those gaps, to let the lines blur a bit more.

As she glanced back at Hayes, a pang of reluctance tugged at her. Their time together was always a step back from the complexities of her social circles, a space where she could be more of herself without the pressures of expectations. Their dynamic was unique, built on shared moments in quiet corners and deep conversations that rarely saw the light of day.

“I guess I’ll see you around,” she said, her voice softer than intended.

Inessa did like school. Most people didn’t really. She liked going to class. She liked the routine. She liked learning. After all, knowledge is power. She knew that to be very true. She had that edge: actual school knowledge. She excelled in her studies, and she had a knack for social knowledge as well.

Inessa’s academic prowess set her apart. She thrived in the classroom, always eager to participate and push herself to learn more. Her grades were impeccable, a testament to her dedication and intelligence. Teachers appreciated her enthusiasm, and classmates often sought her help with subjects.

But it wasn’t just the academics that she mastered. Inessa also understood the subtleties of social dynamics. She navigated the intricate web of friendships, alliances, and rivalries with ease. She knew who to trust, who to be wary of, and how to use her charm to her advantage.

Her ability to balance these two worlds, academic and social, gave her a unique advantage. She was well-rounded, capable of engaging in intellectual debates one moment and seamlessly shifting to light-hearted conversations the next.

Inessa walked through the classroom with confidence, her sundress swaying with each step.

Though when she caught a glance at who was now next to her, a sigh was released and a fake smile plastered onto her face. “What did I do to have you in the class with me?” she joked, but was it really a joke? She had been planning to avoid Dante. She had no reason to be around him now that summer was over anyway. They had very little in common. Though summer had been fun, it was over now.

Inessa rolled her eyes but couldn’t help the slight upward tug at the corner of her mouth. She glanced around the classroom, trying to find a seat far enough from Dante but close enough to her usual spot.l

Her mind flashed back to the late nights and lazy days they’d spent together, the laughter and moments shared. It had been fun, but it was also a distraction.
Inessa shook her head, a reluctant smile had formed now.

@astxrism bye haysies
@Jass dan

2 Likes

Dante

As Inessa entered the class, Dante couldn’t suppress a small smirk, Inessa was definitely an attractive girl, and all the memories and desire they had shared over the summer, it was something Dante wouldn’t forget. Dante wouldn’t be Dante if the idea of a forbidden love hadn’t appealed to him.

His mind drifted back to those summer evenings, the way her laughter would light up the night and how her touch had felt electric against his skin. The thrill of sneaking around, of keeping their relationship a secret from Renlin, had only added to the allure. There was something intoxicating about the risk, the danger of being caught, and the intense connection they had shared.

However, Dante’s smirk faded slightly as he caught the tension in Inessa’s fake smile and heard her sarcastic remark. The memory of his promise to Renlin, his best friend and Inessa’s brother, and especially him breaking that promise, now weighed heavily on him. He couldn’t afford to let their summer fling complicate things now that they were back in the school environment.

“Looks like fate has a twisted sense of humor,” he replied, keeping his tone light and casual despite the underlying tension. He forced a relaxed smile, trying to mask his own internal conflict. “Guess we’ll just have to survive this class together.”

He noticed her subtle attempt to find a seat away from him, and he understood her reasons. The summer had been a whirlwind of fun and spontaneity, but it was over now, and they both had to navigate the boundaries they had crossed.

“Inessa,” he said, his voice dropping to a more serious, almost whispering tone, “let’s just keep things cool, alright? We don’t need any drama. Summer was fun, but we’re back to reality now.” He glanced around the room, making sure no one was paying too much attention to their interaction. “I’ll keep my distance if that’s what you want. Just… no hard feelings, okay?”

He leaned back in his chair, giving her space to decide where to sit, but he couldn’t help the pang of regret that settled in his chest. The connection they had shared was undeniable, but for the sake of his friendship with Renlin and to avoid any unnecessary complications, he knew they had to keep things under wraps.

@Madilnel - Inessa

2 Likes

Vinnie, this is probably rlly bad but it’s what ur getting cos I’m tired asf but I needed to get this out cos I wanna do other stuff too

Turning toward the freezer, Vincenzo watched Renlin come to the table with an icy steak to his eye, hearing the sound of his weight settling on the chair when he sat. He raised his chin as the man spoke, stretching out his neck to ease some of the tension in his body.

“Hm. I should’ve thought of that,” he said, wondering why he didn’t. He supposed he just thought of the peas only because the rest of the items in the freezer were covered in little spikes of frost, since they had been in there for so long. He also didn’t think he’d ever heard of anyone using that, even if it was old school. Steak was expensive, and he didn’t know if he should be unfazed or surprised there was one in there, it was still a college campus after all.

Renlin shook his head, chuckling. "Can you imagine the gossip if we did get in a fight? 'Renlin and Vinnie, best of buddies, the great Umbra brothers, turn on each other. The world must be ending.”

Listening to him, Vincenzo chuckled, endeared by the corny way that Ren spoke. It wasn’t often that Vincenzo found simply spoken things like that endearing, but Renlin was unique from others to Vincenzo. Not only was he the first student he spoke to when he first got to the campus, but he was also the first person he met that really remained optimistic for him. With the people at the orphanage, most of them, if they weren’t struggling with him, were the ones making him suffer. In prison, he supposed he made some friendships, but all of them ended… badly. In the institution there was a girl, but she became a distant memory after some months. Even at the place that was supposed to have become something like a home, Aurora tried to act like he didn’t exist, and Adrian was suspicious in almost every way. And then there were his parents, but he hardly remembered them.
With Renlin though, it had just always been a sort of thing like ”meet me after class,” or “stop by my dorm tonight, I’ll feel like a loser if I drink by myself,” for four years. The only good person that stayed, and the only person he allowed to stay. Everyone else didn’t matter, he just needed one or two good friends. Perhaps that was why Vincenzo looked past his mistakes, especially the ones that he wouldn’t let anyone else move past from.
“Yeah, I don’t think either of us would let that happen,” he shook his head, a sober smile across his lips.

He said it with confidence, but a part of him was a bit surprised they never had disagreed on anything heavier than a small remark. Most of it came from a bit of guilt on his part. Sometimes he worried that even though Renlin was a nice guy, he might be taking advantage by asking to experiment with his dreams.
Even then though, their flaws seemed to be very even.

Renlin told him who he had been fighting and Vincenzo’s expression lost a bit of spark. They were talking about Isaac again, and his face begged to be met by his palm because of it. As someone who lost family himself, it felt to him that Isaac’s death should have only brought them closer together. They had each other to understand their pain, and if it were him, he would never let that go to waste, not knowing what he knows now. And then obviously he had to yell at Tae like he hadn’t lost a brother too.

But he couldn’t say that outright, and felt sh^tty for even thinking it, so Vincenzo controlled himself, and let him continue because, as expected, he already seemed remorseful.

Even though it wasn’t good the way he acted, it was calming to know that he could still be trusted to reflect properly, like a kid who makes mistakes, and then tattles on themselves. He just had to be understanding with that part of Ren; his innocence.

“How’s he doing right now?” Vincenzo asked him, imagining what injuries he might’ve possibly inflicted on the guy. He could only hope they were minor. He’d hate to see something serious happen to the Dumans over an ill-reasoned fight.

“Do you ever feel like you’re not really in control?” Renlin asked, breaking the silence. “Like there’s something else pulling the strings?”

“All the time,” Vincenzo answered honestly, without missing a beat. “But it only lasts a few seconds, and then I rule that it’s all just me, and I’m just one of those people that lacks a moral compass,” he breathed, and weakly tried to laugh. The relieving ice on his eye was beginning to melt, and he could feel the droplets of it on his eyelids.
For a moment, he took off the cold bag and held it over the table, wiping over his eye with the back of his free hand. Then, tiredly he put it back, not really worried about how the bag was only going to get warmer.

Thinking about his life though, it always felt like something about him was wrong. It had to be, considering how his life turned out. Every time he came close to something good, he lost it. Even considering his parentage, he lost his parents not once, but twice. And even though he was occasionally kind out of the purity of his heart, his important choices always favored evil. He liked being a negative person, it was easy, and he never achieved quite as a beautiful a madness as when he hurt others. It was like he was meant for it; a life of darkness.
He could prove it simply by talking about his day.

Renlin asked Vincenzo about his own reason for having a black eye, and he wiped his bloody lip with his thumb. “Well, you know it’s the sleepover, someone has to initiate the new students,” he explained, gesturing a bit with his free hand.

“Because I’m nice, I decided not to pick on the freshmen, instead I went for the older looking guy in the trench coat, he said his name was Nic.”
“I tried explaining the initiation to him, but he kept smirking and trying to mock me when he was obviously on the border of pissing himself. Since he wasn’t taking me seriously, I had to show him why he should,” Vincenzo’s voice changed at the end of his sentence, lightening to a point where he finished it with a shrug. He exhibited no immediate remorse for his actions.

As they were talking, Vincenzo noticed Renlin’s eyes soften while he looked at him with a gaze of admiration, perhaps daydreaming about somewhere else, but he kept talking. “We were talking for a bit, while I was trying to gauge how valuable he could be to the coven, and then he insulted me so I bound him with my shadows. And-“
Vinnie couldn’t finish his sentence when he saw Renlin smile at him kindly. That was when he realized that he was actually looking at him, and not just zoning out.
Vincenzo laughed, looking back at his loving one eye as the other one was covered with that slab of meat. “What are you looking at, dork?” His laughter continued, “You look like a pirate with your left eye covered.”

It was moments like that when he appreciated their friendship the most, when they connected over insignificant conversations. It made him forget a bit about the soreness he felt on his face and body.

But before Vincenzo could return to his story, Renlin stood up and returned to the freezer. Vincenzo huffed our a sigh, not surpised that he was interrupting to get a snack, it was Renlin after all. Luckily for him, however, Renlin chose to bring two very large spoons to eat together, which made Vincenzo forget about his annoyance and focus on the label of the flavors, dropping the bag of frozen peas in front of him on the table because there was something new to focus on. His skin felt like it was quietly resonating.

With a hand gesture only, Vincenzo signaled that Renlin pass him the spatula and the tub, to which he silently agreed as well by passing them. He dug the large spoon-like tool into the tub, and then took a small bite, talking as he chewed. “Anyway, I heard that you have a speech at the masquerade ball? What was that about? I wasn’t there, I left the scene with someone. That in itself is a whole other conversation.” He said, reflecting on the events of last night, not wanting to share too many details.

@Madilnel renlin
Mentioned:
@Caticorn tae
@idiot.exe dom
@Kristi @novella j and a mentioned without names

4 Likes

jess

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

“Far too late for that,” Jesse retaliated regarding letting it get to his head as he tried to read beyond the little Lenore was giving away with her words. While he considered to know the girl reasonably well, both from what he’s seen and what she’s told him, Jesse always kept an eye open for any new information from anyone. Especially on the first day - he needed to get a head-start in any way possible.

He raised an eyebrow, a smile crossing his face at Lenore advising him against his suggestion - at least for this year. “I appreciate the warning, Len, but I think I can handle a few rattled Enigma Stags,” Jesse commented, his hands in his pockets and a small laugh escaping him when he noticed some people around them turning their heads in disdain. “Especially when I have one of them on my side, right?” Jesse teased, a nod in her direction and nudging her arm with his.

The man she mentioned was revealed to go by the name Nic, and Jesse was stumped on who that was. “No last name? A true mystery man,” Jesse humorously stated. “He might be on to something. Maybe I should just go by Jesse from now on, keep everyone wondering, what do you think?” He continued, turning to her, joking over his intrigue into why this Nic person actually withheld such information. “What’s the deal then with him? Interesting as in you’re interested?” He questioned with his eyebrows raised in a teasing manner.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

@Caticorn Lenore!!

3 Likes

⋆⁺。˚⋆˙‧₊☽ ◯ ☾₊‧˙⋆˚。⁺⋆

Freya watched him take the tissues and attempt to clean himself up. “I see that,” She vaguely replied at his label of ‘a bit of a rough morning’, looking him up and down at the sight that rendered the statement a slight downplay. With that, Freya’s eyes drifted to the people around them that were all headed in the same direction. One thing, she noted, was the girl from last night yet to resurface. She assumed it would be a rough morning for her when she awoke, but she also hoped she would be out of her way by the time Freya returned to her room, as another conversation about the night prior was the last thing she needed.

Expecting an empty space where the tall man had been, Freya was surprised to still see him standing. Even introducing himself, meaning her original plans to walk away had to be postponed. “Freya,” She returned, after a moment of hesitation. There was a moment of silence after her brief response, and she raised her eyebrows in confusion. He lacked the urgency one would usually have when they were bleeding as he was. “Did you need something else?” Freya wondered out loud, not realising that offering tissues would come with the need to converse too.

She unconvincingly nodded her head at Renlin’s further attempt to downplay his injuries. “How brave of you,” She commented, her eyebrows raised with an unmissable tone of indifference in her voice, not giving much thought to what ‘worse’ might have meant for him. His attention was drawn to Freya’s bag, which reverted her gaze down to the same thing. “I think your standards for angels are pretty low,” She responded, before returning to the topic of her bag. “What exactly are you expecting to find in here?”

⋆⁺。˚⋆˙‧₊☽ ◯ ☾₊‧˙⋆˚。⁺⋆

@Madilnel sorry Renlin

2 Likes

frey

⋆⁺。˚⋆˙‧₊☽ clone w/ Thalia ☾₊‧˙⋆˚。⁺⋆

The day had mainly consisted of introduction lessons, breakdowns of how they will be assessed and what it will be on, all things that Freya had familiarised herself with months prior to starting. Though it seemed to act as a favour to those who had gone too hard the night prior, it only posed a colossal waste of time for Freya Hastings. So she sat through the classes frustrated, her mind fixating on the inefficiency of the day. In her attempt to compensate for how unproductive the first half of the day had been, Freya headed for the library the instant the clock hit lunch break. She had already made a list of the essential books she should be headed for, ready to get into what the lessons of the day barely scratched the surface of.

Walking into the library, Freya had to stop in her tracks at the sight before her. She knew it would be big and grand, but being confronted with the sheer magnitude and beauty of the space, this was nothing like what she was expecting. Towering bookshelves, the faint scent of leather bindings, a grand spiral staircase winding its way up to a second level, all lit by the tinted sunlight flooding in through strain-glassed windows. Contrast to the dull morning Freya had endured, she began to feel a surge of excitement and determination.

As Freya was looking around the library, she also couldn’t help but think of her mother. Had she once sat at one of the armchairs under the lamps? Which of the books lining the shelves had she picked up? What kind of things did she learn in here? A bittersweet feeling waved through her, with anticipation in being able to walk where she once did.

Heading for her targeted section, Freya scanned the spines of the books for the desired one. As she began to narrow down the rows even further, she found her eyes going round in circles at the absence of the one she needed. With the presence of the attentive librarian, Freya could assume that it wasn’t a case of her book being in the wrong place, but that it had already been taken. She took a deflated sigh and a step away from the bookshelf, turning for an alternative option.

Though when she turned, her eyes caught a glimpse of the title she had been looking for, in the hands of a girl’s tucked under a sketchbook. It appeared to not be in use at the moment, and so Freya edged closer to the current holder. However as she got nearer to the person, Freya began to recognise who she was about to approach. It seemed the girl from the night before had eventually bounced back, and well too, you would never have been able to detect a hangover from the way she looked.

But before she had the chance to back away and avoid that interaction, it seemed the girl had noticed Freya too. “Uh,” She started in surprise at her sudden approach, leaning on one of the bookshelves in alarm, knocking a few books onto the floor. “Aha, that- I’ll pick them up,” Freya assured, before refocusing onto why she had almost-approached in the first place. “The book, Astral Traveller’s Handbook you have,” She began, stopping as if it were a full request. But then realising she hadn’t actually asked the question part of that. “You don’t seem to be using it… could I borrow it?” She eventually asked.

⋆⁺。˚⋆˙‧₊☽ ◯ ☾₊‧˙⋆˚。⁺⋆

@Kristi Thalia

2 Likes

Where tf are we || with Amani

Arya arched an eyebrow, her demeanor composed yet exuding an aura of confidence. “Simple lust, you say? How disappointingly pedestrian,” she quipped, her tone dripping with sarcasm. She took a step closer, her gaze meeting Amani’s with a hint of challenge. “But who can blame you for seeing things through your own tainted lens?”

With a subtle tilt of her head, Arya continued, her tone light yet pointed. “We’ve all made our fair share of mistakes, haven’t we?” she added with a knowing smirk.As Amani alluded to her supposed illness, Arya’s eyebrow arched in skepticism. “But as for your supposed illness,” she continued, her tone teasing, her voice carrying a note of skepticism. Arya’s lips curled into a knowing smile, her eyes sparkling with mischief as she leaned in slightly. “You’ll have to forgive me,” she continued, her tone layered with sarcasm. "I must have missed the symptoms during your impeccable performance.” With a barely concealed smirk, Arya leaned in closer, her gaze holding Amani’s with unwavering intensity. [color=#5239af] “But who am I to doubt the sincerity of a well-timed cough?” she quipped, her words laden with playful skepticism. “After all, you’ve always had a knack for dramatic flair.”

Arya’s lips curled into a sly smirk as she listened to Amani’s retort, her gaze steady and unyielding. “Ah, history,” she echoed, “Indeed, such a tedious affair. But you know, Amani, history has a way of catching up with us, whether we like it or not.” With a subtle arch of her brow, Arya regarded Amani with an enigmatic smile, her gaze steady despite the undercurrent of tension between them. “After all, what’s the present without the past casting its shadow?”

Arya’s eyes flickered with amusement as Amani’s words danced around the room, like butterflies seeking elusive nectar. With a subtle tilt of her head, Arya met Amani’s gaze, her own smirk mirroring the playful challenge in Amani’s voice. “A clever disguise indeed, masking truths with the allure of fiction. But aren’t we all performers on this stage of life, Amani? A little charm here, a touch of wit there—merely tools in our arsenal of illusion." With a relaxed grace, Arya gestured toward the poetry, her smirk deepening. “Sentiment, after all, is but a shadow cast by the light of experience. And what is poetry, if not the art of capturing those fleeting shadows?” Her words hung in the air, a subtle challenge veiled behind a veneer of eloquence.

Arya tilted her head slightly, her expression unreadable as Amani leaned in to inspect the poem. She remained silent, allowing the words to linger in the air, knowing Amani’s response would be anything but mundane. When Amani scoffed, Arya’s lips curved into a subtle smirk, a glint of amusement dancing in her eyes. “Hm, so the icy exterior remains intact,” she remarked, her tone carrying a playful yet cutting edge. “but you know what they say, Amani dear, even the coldest hearts can be warmed by the right kind of poetry.”

With a subtle raise of her brow, Arya met Amani’s gaze with an enigmatic smirk playing on her lips. “who said anything about romance?” Her words danced with a coy elegance, a subtle reminder of her own complex nature. “Poetry is not just for the hopeless romantics,” Arya continued, her voice smooth and composed. “It’s a canvas for the soul, a tapestry woven with the threads of human experience.” She paused, her eyes glinting with a hint of amusement. “But I suppose you wouldn’t understand that, perhaps your definition of ‘all that we need’ differs from mine,” she continued, her words carrying a subtle edge of defiance. “Though who’s to say that what one possesses is truly everything they desire? Sometimes, the allure lies in the pursuit, not the attainment, wouldn’t you agree?" A subtle smirk played at the corners of her lips as she contemplated the nuances of her own artistry. Inwardly, Arya mused on the distinction between being a poet and a hopeless romantic. While her craft often delved into the depths of emotion, it was rooted in introspection and observation rather than blind idealism.

Arya watched in fascination as Amani approached the mysterious mirror, her curiosity piqued by the otherworldly glow that emanated from its surface. There was an air of caution in Amani’s movements, a hesitance that Arya found both intriguing and unnerving. As Amani’s fingertips made contact with the enigmatic surface of the mirror, Arya held her breath, anticipation coiling in the pit of her stomach like a dormant serpent. She couldn’t shake the feeling of unease that lingered in the air, a sense that they were being watched.
The mirror shattered with a deafening crack, sending a cascade of shards raining down upon the floor. Arya’s eyes widened in disbelief, her mind struggling to comprehend the abrupt destruction of the mirror before them.
As Amani’s fingers brushed against the broken shard, the world around them seemed to warp and twist, reality bending and twisting like a mirage in the desert. Arya’s gaze remained fixed on the shattered mirror, her mind racing to make sense of the sudden chaos that had unfolded before them. She could feel Amani’s eyes on her, a silent exchange of uncertainty passing between them as they both grappled with the unsettling reality of their situation.
When Amani attempted to reassure herself by checking if Arya was real, Arya couldn’t help but feel a pang of sympathy for her distress. “Well, I hate to disappoint you, but I’m very much real,” Arya replied with a wry smile, though the gravity of their situation wasn’t lost on her.
Amani’s shaky declaration only confirmed Arya’s suspicions. The mirror of nightmares a fitting name for the hellish landscape that surrounded them. In the dim light, Arya could make out the contours of twisted shadows and grotesque figures that lurked in the darkness. This was no ordinary illusion—it was a sinister trap designed to prey on their deepest insecurities. For a moment, Arya was frozen, her thoughts whirling in a vortex of fear and uncertainty. But as Amani’s gaze met hers, Arya realized that they were not alone in this nightmare. Despite their differences, despite the years of animosity that had festered between them, they were in this together. And if they wanted to escape the clutches of their darkest fears, they would need to rely on each other. With a nod, Arya squared her shoulders, her gaze unwavering as she met Amani’s gaze. “You’re right,” she agreed, her voice steady despite the turmoil raging within her. “We need to find a way out of here, and fast.”

@Kristi

2 Likes

[𓆩[⟡𓆪 𓆩⟡𓆪 𓆩⟡]

Clone

Thalia watched as the girl, with an inadvertent sweep of her hand, sent a large mount of books tumbling to the floor. The sudden clatter pierced the quiet of the library, and for a moment, Thalia’s unease dissipated. The girl stumbled back, her reaction as if she had just seen a ghost, leaving Thalia to ponder two unsettling thoughts: first, the girl unmistakably recognized her, and second, she also clearly wished to avoid any interaction.

Damn, Thalia mused, was my intoxication, that bad? A flush of embarrassment crept up her neck, spreading to her cheeks. She struggled to recollect the peculiarities of her inebriated antics, replaying the fragmented memories in a bid to assess the extent of her intoxication. Snippets of laughter, a slurred conversation, perhaps a stumble or two—nothing conclusive, yet sufficient to evoke an inward cringe.

A flush of embarrassment crept up her neck and spread to her cheeks. She tried to search her mind for the weird stuff she did while drunk, replaying the hazy memories in an attempt to gauge how bad it was. Snippets of laughter, a slurred conversation, maybe a stumble or two—nothing concrete, but enough to make her wince inwardly.

“Aha, that-I’ll pick them up” The girl started as she had accidentally knocked a few books unto the floor. Without really thinking, Thalia found herself standing up, moving swiftly to help.

“Don’t worry about it,” Thalia replied, her voice composed and cool. “We all make mistakes,” Though Thalia had said this, regarding the books mishap, she had actually met this in reference to, well, last night. See, by presenting this version of herself-her more sober, more normal (ish) and collected self—she aimed to sweep away any traces of her previous night’s behavior, moments like randomly talking about the weather or the picture or whatever she had talked about last night.

It was a good thing, Thalia thought, that her camera was tucked deep inside her bag right now. It would be quite awkward to have had it out on the table in front of her. As Thalia had slipped back into her chair, placing her sketchbook inside her bag, she had left the book, Astral Traveler’s out in the open. Causing the girl to say, "The book, Astral Traveller’s Handbook you have,” Thalia had immediately looked down at the book, scrunching her brows as she read the title, Astral’s travellers Handbook. She had looked back at the pretty dark haired girl, arching a brow, was she going to ask to use it? ’ “You don’t seem to be using it… could I borrow it?” Ding ding, seems she is and Thalia was ready to give the book to her, because after all, she did not need the book, and it was a good way to avoid further interactions with her, and perhaps Thalia could focus her attention doing something else- like continuing her sketch, looking at her other pictures and perhaps printing them and putting them inside her folder and analyzing them later today-putting the puzzle pieces where they are needed. She could also avoid the girl for the rest of the school year, because after all, the girl does not seem like she would try to talk to her, and Thalia was pretty good at ghosting people, but for some reason just as Thalia carried the book, about to give it to her, she had retracted, dropping the book back down on the table.

Even without knowing her name, there was something Thalia knew about the girl for sure, and that was that she did not have any special connection to ‘Folder Red’ and ‘Folder Blue’ as Thalia liked to refer to them as, but still- there was just something about the girl that drew Thalia in. Perhaps, it was the same thing that had caused Thalia to take a picture of her last night, whatever that thing was.

"“I was just about to use it to study,” Thalia lied smoothly,. “I have a test coming up soon, and I wanted to get a head start on the studying." Another lie. Thalia had never liked the idea of getting a head start on the studying, it always made it easier to forget information, especially considering she led a busy life. In addition, Thalia did not have any test that she knew of concerning the Astral Traveller’s , heck, she didn’t even know what it was about. “But…” Thalia began, “If you really want it, we could share.” Thalia paused, her words hanging in the air as she gauged the girl’s reaction.

@novella

2 Likes

Mona timeeee. Pretties later

“I know you do,” Thalia smiled as Desdemona swung their hands forward and back, “But really, you also have to take care of your own self. And besides, really, I’m okay, I can handle my own self, today was Just a little rough morning, that’s all.” Now, Thalia wasn’t too sure of the ‘i can handle my own self’ part, but maybe if she could convince herself and Desdemona enough, it will come true.

It was rather sweet the way that Thalia concerned for Desdemona. She did not find her obsessive or intoxicatingly close, but instead thought of her as being considerate. How peculiar that was.

For someone who desired to resist the assistance of others, Thalia behaved quite uniquely. If she were a lesser woman, perhaps she might view Desdemona as annoying, or a loser. What kind of college girl had only one friend? And only one friend that was her whole world at that. From that angle she could almost look pathetic; like a meek, and easy target to be manipulated and told what to do and think, someone who would be no one without her. But instead, Thalia did find affection in her presence. Perhaps it was because Desdemona was beautiful, so her attempts were well-received by superficiality, if not lust. Or perhaps… contrary to her own thoughts, she was not so opposed to receiving guidance.

Desdémona said nothing in response to Thalias ongoing argument, choosing to quietly nod instead, a small smile clad by her lips. If the girl would not surrender, then Desdémona determined that it was best if she did. Maybe she would recycle that philosophy when she felt unimportant again.

Without hesitation, she answered all of Thalias questions.
“I think… if it wasn’t an accident, then someone was probably trying to hurt her. I just don’t know why they would do that. She seemed really nice.” Mona said with somber innocence laced into her words.
“I can’t remember the rest of the story Atlas told me, but I think he said something about another man….” She thought aloud, “but like you said, it probably wasn’t true, so maybe we shouldn’t focus on that.”

Although Desdémona had been in her element earlier into their conversation, she felt like that spark lit in her mind had died down since the change of topic. Outside of her circle, she tended to be quite clueless. In her active thoughts, she was very insightful. While the couple had been dancing, she saw the man in the corner of the room watching them. She had noticed his overgrown, short brown hair, and the mark he had near his lip. She watched Esther run away after waking up, she had seen the farcical smirk that Atlas wore. And Desdémona could remember traces of it, but she found herself completely unable to articulate them, like her mouth had turned to idle wood incapable of creating sound. Before she could repeat them, all of her thoughts liked to betray her by disintegrating to nothing. It was one of the things she admired about Thalia, how she could have so many thoughts and remember all of them. She wondered if that was on purpose, too, but she hadn’t the ability to say it. There were runes written on the walls of her mind that she was never meant to translate, even if she held a candle to them and put forth her best effort.

She apologized for asking questions, but Desdémona paid no mind to it. She had not been fazed by any of them, and, on the contrary, was happy to answer each one for her. “What do you mean?” She asked curiously, confused as to why she was apologizing. “I don’t mind.”

”Think of super man,” said Thalia, and Desdémona giggled, her chocolate colored eyes brightening. The comparison she used sounded at first like she was trying to be very gentle with a way for Desdémona to understand her. It was kind of cute.

As she kept talking, though, the analogy began to make more sense. “I guess that’s true,” she concurred. “I did feel very different in my masquerade outfit,” she agreed, thinking that the dress had made her act more mature and different than usual, when she had still been the same old Mona.

Although Desdémona had decided to be the merciful one before, Thalia had agreed this time, stating that she could not blame the man either. Desdémona nodded at that, grateful for her reciprocity of her gentle approach. What she did not acknowledge was the possible way that Thalia could be a liar like her, as well. It was the pinnacle of their experience as Ciphers, how they existed to, with their magic, turn life into words. Yet half of their words were lies, with only their mischevious demeanor to blame, the evil within them begging to hide the truth because it was often too painful to bring to life. Likely, their lies were what kept them weak, denying the power of their truths for the comfort of lies, perhaps that was why Hayes’ friend was targeted by whatever force took him. He was too powerful. Too honest.

Desdémona did not say it out loud, but she knew internally that Thalia was loyal to sneaky behavior. It was why she knew she had to look after her, she was lost. Only time would tell though, if Desdémona had the strength to find her in the sandstorms she got herself into.

She noticed it when Thalia got out her phone, using that bit of knowledge she had for Thalia only to piece together what she was most likely annotating. She had let go of Desdemona’s hands to do it, which made the girl feel a bit embarassed. Of course she didn’t matter as much as Thalia’s conspiracies, she was stupid.

Of course, she decided to make no explicit comment about her gesture. She didn’t want to stir the girl, so she just watched her put the phone down and put it back where it was.
“If it helps, I don’t think Atlas did anything sinister. Maybe he was kind of dramatic, but I knew I felt a bad energy from something, I did, and I know it wasn’t him,” she said, trying to defend this new stranger because like Thalia thought, she did consider them friends, and Desdémona was very faithful to hers.

After pushing her away, Desdemona snapped back to reality, a wave of guilt crashing over her when she realized what she had done. She expected some sort of punishment to hit her, maybe not from Thalia, but she was explicitly raised to act gracefully at all times. And that was not graceful. If Mom and Dad had seen her do that, they would have been very angry with her.
To her surprise, however, Thalia was very gentle about it, agreeing to abide by her wishes. She sighed a breath of relief, realizing that it was Thalia she was speaking to, and Thalia wouldn’t hurt her. She was a friend, she had a friend when she was with Thalia. She looked at her with a smile, and remnants of fear in her light brown eyes.

She also realized that Thalia wanted to know the truth, but Desdémona knew she couldn’t. It was a secret, so she pursed her lips, coming up with something close to the truth. “I just- I don’t like adults,” that was true. “I only like mom and dad,” lie. But they were connected to the truth, so she deemed her explanation good enough to leave that way.

Laying on her bed, Desdemona turned her head to see Thalia lying beside her with playful eyes, “No,” she said , and for a moment, Desdemona was worried by her statement, due to her inability to detect standard sarcasm. But quickly, she took her sentence back, and Desdemona’s lips melted into a genuine smile again, like Rapunzel watching lanterns rise into the night sky as a little girl. That smile, but with a hint of when your dog licks the side of your face, but you call it a kiss because you are just that affectionate with your animal.

She rolled once over to get closer to her on the bed, sweetened by her loving words, and turned onto her side, wrapping her arm around Thalia’s torso with a very deliberate movement. She placed her chin on the girls’ shoulder, and lowered her forehead into the slope of her neck, ignorant to the images that she clicked through on the device. Softly, she suspired onto her shoulder. It was just something she did when she really loved the person she was embracing.

“Alright, let’s take a little journey through Wyndham together,” she said, her tone light and playful.

Desdémona angled her chin back up, but still didn’t take herself off of Thalia. The top of her head met the hybrid space shared by her brown hair and her right ear, watching the slideshow of pictures play. They were each special in different ways, capturing the feelings that Thalia had and Desdémona craved to understand. They saw the garden, the students, and the architecture of Wyndham without even having to leave her bed. How beautiful it was to spectate, and see without being perceived.

“Here,” Thalia said, pausing on a particularly scenic shot of the sunset painting the sky in hues of pink and gold, “is where we’ll make countless memories together.” Desdemona laughed, enchanted by the pieces of herself that Thalia had showed her, and then her expression sobered, knowing that Thalia expected more of a response from her.

She backed up a bit, and then cupped Thalia’s cheek, similar to the way that the girl had touched her earlier, and then turned her face around so that she was looking at her. A smile cracked on her lips when they saw each other. “I can’t wait.”

@Kristi

2 Likes

Renlin sort of missed summer. He missed the lake, his boat, and the effect the water had on him. The endless days spent basking in the sun and the serene mornings out on the dock. He missed it all. Though he enjoyed the company he found here at school, aside from Dante spending the summer with them, he liked being surrounded by people. The bustling energy of others was something he thrived on. He missed the casual gatherings, the impromptu parties, and even the simple joy of seeing familiar faces every day.

Here with Vinnie was nice. Though, the kitchen wasn’t really his first choice, and he was also surprised there were no cooks coming in and yelling at them for eating this ice cream. It felt like a small rebellion, sitting in there and talking as if they owned the place. The peacefulness of this moment contrasted sharply with the chaos of earlier, and Renlin found comfort in it. He glanced at Vinnie, grateful for his friend’s presence. The worries and tension from the fight seemed to melt away with each spoonful of ice cream.

He wished he could mix the two places. He wished there was a lake here as well. He had found some ponds during a night or two out, but nothing large. They usually were filled with moss and not swimmable. All but one. The one next to the abandoned hotel that he had found a few years ago. That spot had become his secret, a place where he could escape and pretend he was back on the lake, if only for a moment. It wasn’t the same.

He had painted his initials there with his symbol on a tree. It was a habit of his, marking all the places he discovered with a little piece of himself. If anyone else ever found these hidden spots, they’d know they weren’t alone. It was a silent connection, a message to the unknown wanderers who might stumble upon his marks. This particular place, with its serene pond and abandoned hotel, was special. His initials and symbol felt like a secret signature, a way to leave a bit of his soul in his favorite hidden sanctuary.

His soul now felt very torn apart, frayed at the edges. It wasn’t his usual self. The dreams were so vivid, so real, they seemed to be chipping away pieces of him. He used to be able to just forget, to brush off the lingering shadows of sleep, but not anymore. Now, it almost felt like he was going crazy. Crazy wasn’t inherently bad, right? There was a certain appeal to madness, a freedom in it. But he didn’t want to be crazy. He had reasons to stay grounded, reasons to keep it together. There were people who depended on him, people he cared about deeply. Inessa, Vinnie, the Umbra brothers, a few others….they needed him sane, strong, reliable. He couldn’t afford to lose himself to these dreams, no matter how tempting it was to let go.

Sometimes he didn’t want to wake himself. He wanted to know more, to see more. The dreams held fragments of something larger, something important. It wasn’t just for him, but for those people in his life as well. He wanted answers, clarity—for Inessa, for Vinnie, for all the Umbra brothers and for others. If the dreams were trying to tell him something, he had to understand it. He owed them that much.

“How’s he doing right now?” Vinnie asked about Tae.

Renlin shook his head. He hadn’t stuck around to find out, and he hadn’t checked his phone either. It was probably blowing up with messages and missed calls. He ran his fingers through his hair, feeling the weight of the fight. Tae was probably in bad shape, but Renlin didn’t feel much better himself.

He looked at his fingers for a little bit, the slight tremble in them betraying his inner turmoil. Vinnie moved on, recounting his own altercation, his words a comforting distraction from Renlin’s thoughts. Renlin appreciated the distraction, but he couldn’t help but think about what his sister would say when she found out.

“Someone has to initiate the new students,” Vinnie began, his voice carrying a weight of responsibility. Renlin nodded in agreement, his mind drifting to their own initiation into Umbra. It was more than just physical tests; it was about deciphering codes, demonstrating stamina, and proving one’s dedication to the cause. This year’s initiation seemed to hold a different significance, one that Renlin couldn’t quite grasp yet. Toughness? Alpha male energy?

Ren couldn’t help raise a brow at the mention of the person wearing a trench coat, and although he found it peculiar to wear a trench coat, he kept his thoughts to himself. After all, he was well aware that his own sense of style might be considered questionable by others.

Renlin chuckled and shook his head in response to Vinnie’s explanation. While it wasn’t his preferred method of asserting dominance, he respected Vinnie’s approach, recognizing that everyone had their own way of handling situations. “And do you think he got the point in the end?” Renlin asked, curious about the outcome.

Renlin raised an eyebrow at Vinnie’s mention of using his shadows. “And where is he now? Hiding under his bed from you? Transferring to a different school? Or perhaps he’s plotting his grand return to the common room for round 2?” he quipped, adding a playful tone to the speculation.

“Well, you know what they say, Vinnie,” Renlin quipped with a smirk. “Behind every dork is a loyal friend keeping them in check. Consider yourself lucky.”
Renlin laughed at Vinnie’s remark. “Hey, at least I’d make a pretty cool pirate, right?” he joked, adjusting the makeshift ice pack on his face.

“Yeah, about that…” Renlin hesitated, not sure how much he wanted to reveal, especially of what happened after. “Let’s just say I had a moment of inspiration, or maybe insanity, depending on who you ask. But it got people talking, right?”

Renlin leaned in closer, a mischievous glint in his eyes. “Oh, come on, Vinnie. Don’t leave me hanging. You know I live for this stuff.” He nudged his friend playfully, eager to hear the juicy details without missing a beat. The thought of Vinnie getting into some escapade at the ball was just the distraction he needed from his own drama. Plus, there was always something intriguing about Vinnie’s exploits. They never failed to entertain or surprise.

Renlin couldn’t help but feel a surge of curiosity as he leaned closer to Vinnie, his interest piqued by the mention of a departure from the ball. “Seriously, spill the beans, Vinnie. I need all the details,” he urged, his tone a mix of excitement and anticipation. After all, what were friends for if not to share every scandalous detail of their escapades?

@raviola

3 Likes