Nonbinary pronouns in writing

Non-binary pronouns are essentially any pronoun that isn’t he/him or she/her. Have you ever encountered non-binary pronouns in writing? If you’re a writer, have you ever used them in your own writing?

9 Likes

Some of my Rp characters use they/them as well as neopronouns like xe/xem, ze/zim, ae/aem

5 Likes

I’ve had a few non-binary RP characters, so yeah, I’ve used non-binary pronouns

3 Likes

One time I’ve written a short story without using any gender pronouns at all. That was very interesting. I’ve had non-binary characters in other stories and read quite a few stories including non-binary pronouns. Most of the time I enjoyed it, but sometimes I feel like people add a non-binary character without research which sucks cause it leads to stereotypical and wrong portrayal…

3 Likes

Yes, I have. I want to be respectful of my characters.

Yes and I try to use them in my own writing as well! I recently read Legendborn which included a non-binary character so the author used they/them and I myself have used nonbinary pronouns in my own writing

My friend’s kid identifies as nonbinary and they haven’t told me what pronouns they prefer just yet. But, as I was researching pronunciations (I was totally pronouncing xe/xem incorrectly in my head), I finally came across the variation I want to use for my nonbinary shifter character in a story I’ll be working on in the future! My feline shifter will use the ve/ver/veir/vers/veirself variation.

1 Like

So, I just spent four hours reading the first season (and the start of the second season) of a comic called Fluidum on webtoon: Fluidum | WEBTOON

It portrays characters with different levels of dysphoria and different points of view and feelings regarding specific genders, along with nonbinary difficulties. It’s a scifi setting, but a terrific read so far. Just wanted to share it.

1 Like

I only saw them in very few stories. I wanted to have a character who uses non-binary pronouns in my next story but I’m kinda worried of messing that up because English isn’t my first language. Also, in German, I’d probably have to explain the pronouns first because barely anyone knows German non-binary pronouns :sweat_smile: So, I couldn’t write the novel in German that easily.

@Writers Have you used non-binary pronouns in your writing?

3 Likes

It would be die, right? I think.

1 Like

“Die” is an article, like the English “the”. In German, there’d be “dey” or “xier” but they aren’t official pronouns and I’ve never heard or read about someone using them.

3 Likes

There’s a similar situation with French where there is a non-binary pronoun that has been circulating amongst French speakers, the pronoun ‘iel’, but it isn’t officially recognized by l’academie française

2 Likes

To get back on topic, I write a lot of non-binary characters, so I frequently use non-binary pronouns in my writing. As someone who uses non-binary pronouns, it’s a way for me to put the representation that I wish I’d seen when I was questioning my gender out there for other people to see.

2 Likes

Right, because you have gendered words for a lot of things, Ex. Freund\Freundlin.

2 Likes

I might not read enough books but I never have. I have written a few enbys in my time though. I think that the pronouns are the boring part, the interesting part comes when you navigate the world as neither man nor woman.

2 Likes

I speak Spanish, and that is also having some trouble with gender-neutral pronouns. Usually we put the ending “e” at the end. Latino, Latina, Latine.

1 Like

Yeah exactly. I think that it is interesting to explore the world past traditional gender roles and binaries. And that pronouns are one of the least interesting parts of the journey.

I do think that they are linked to identity of the character, though. I think that finding out who you are is a big part of the journey, but so is navigating and dissecting the system which is causing the issues, and is close minded. So is found family.

And yes, I think that a lot of non-Spanish speakers don’t realise that using “Latinx” (instead of even Latine, like you mentioned, and which is preferred) actually invalidates a lot of the language past just pronouns. It’s grammatically stupid to use “x” in place of a/o in the language that has been structurally sound for years.

A lot of Latin people are speaking out against it, and they disagree with it as a representation. They did a survey a few years back, and most respondents hadn’t either heard of it or they disagreed with the concept. Here is a link to the survey if anyone is interested.

1 Like

To make matters worse, people who use text to speech to communicate can’t even pronounce the word!

1 Like

Closed due to Inactivity