One Piece - Let's discuss

One Piece is a long running manga which currently has 1084 chapters. It started in 1997 and has been very popular for a while. The general premise is it follows a group of pirates led by Monkey D. Luffy as they all set sail to persue their dreams, with Luffy’s dream of being the pirate king.

All their dreams can be achieved on this journey they’re taking together but don’t confuse this for a happy fluffy story 100% of the time. There are some dark and sad moments that make this an emotional roller coaster, as well as hints of a very dark past the world has, there’s often far more questions than answers :joy:

Anyway yes, there have been other threads on this which are now closed but I’m making this one for these reasons:

I’m fully up to date with the manga which means I can actively check the thread for spoilers and for full disclosure if you do not blur your spoilers, I will do it for you. Nobody should have this series spoiled.

Anyway!

Who else knows anything about One Piece they want to talk about?

1 Like

I’ve definitely seen it around quite a bit as I’ve been getting into anime and now Manga but I’ve never watched or read it :sweat_smile:

I would definitely give it a shot tho :eyes:

This definitely gives me a bit of incentive too
Emotional? Yes please
Plot holes? Yes please :joy:

I’m conclusion, basically no :sweat_smile: with the exception of random occasional Pinterest memes

WHY DOES IT TAKE 1000+ EPISODES TO FIND SOMETHING?!

2 Likes

In all fairness, I never recommend watching the anime anyway, there’s 1000+ chapters sure but reading the manga is actually a consistently good experience, the only hard arc to get through is Punk Hazard because while it says a whole bunch of important things, it’s also following (and followed by) a really exciting arc and many of the panels just ended up as walls of text, so it just takes a while to read and many people get halted there, me included for a while!

But with the anime, the first few seasons are really good imo, the style was really good plus being traditionally drawn really lent to the vibe. However, once it became digital it started dropping off in terms of quality (it has recently regained that quality) the pacing also became an issue.

This isn’t to condemn all digital anime, pretty much all my favourites are digital!

Also from the start it was very clear that the story was going to have a gigantic journey, one filled with interesting mysteries to fall into a rabbit hole over:

(The last two aren’t spoilers if you don’t have any context but they mention characters that you won’t know about until later on in the story)

• The will of “D”
  • The Void Century
  • Origins of Devil Fruit
  • What exactly is “the one piece”
  • Poneglyphs
  • The identity of Luffy’s Mother
  • What “crime” did Zunesha commit

• Who the heck is Imu and why do they sit on the throne that nobody is supposed to sit on

One of the most popular characters, Red Hair Shank’s has barely been in the actual story, yet recently we’ve been teased of how powerful he is.

(Spoiler pertaining to the last character mentioned in my list above, this actually is a story spoiler even if we don’t know much about it yet)

The character mentioned in the last spoiler has literally only been in it twice, they first made an appearence in the Reviere arc, where they were shown standing infront of a giant straw hat, Imu was also in the most recent chapters of the story asking about another person who we know literally nothing about, it was terrifying

Even without mysteries, the fights are always extremely fun to read, the story arcs are always extremely engaging and the unique style is always fun to look at!

Also personally I dislike when people see it as a mountain you need to climb quickly when you’re about to run out of food. If you take your time you can enjoy the story, you don’t need to finish it in a week or even a month, it’s really easy to keep track of what’s happening so even if you pick up where you left off after a while, the memories can easily come flooding back, plus if you do forget, there’s no shame in rereading the previous few chapters.

1 Like

…. Netflix live action gonna be a mess

1 Like

OH NO-

Well to be completely fair to the live action, the trailer doesn’t look bad. I have a few worries but it has the potential to be good imo. I’d love for there to be another way for people to experience the story of One Piece. But at the same time I feel like it’s going to last ages and people who aren’t aware of the anime or manga may start to think it’s “jumping the shark” which wouldn’t be the case, it’s just that people are used to shows lasting 10 seasons at most.

What I like is that they’ve tried to keep the races and ethnicities of the cast close to what Oda said they would all be! Imo that’s really good and I can’t wait to see Chopper and Robin!