Online Breaks- Are they really good for your mental health?

What do you think about taking breaks from the Internet or social media when struggling with mental health?
Do you think it’s helpful to take a break from the Internet, or do you consider that being online can actually make you feel better?

Personally, I think it’s a good idea to take a break if you belong to a toxic community, or follow a lot of accounts that either post bad news constantly or are owned by negative people. It’s also a good idea to disconnect and surround yourself with people who support and care for you.
However, if the community you belong to is your safe space, and you feel more free being yourself with your online friends than with people you know in real life, then it might be even more helpful to be online when things are going bad in your life.

8 Likes

Depending on what you need a break from it could be good for you but sometimes you need a break from IRL stuff instead.

But yeah, sometimes it’s good for you to take an online break. As you mention if you’re part of a toxic community and also if it gets in the way to manage every day life. I’ve taken breaks from certain games and forums before since I easily get addicted to stuff and it consumes my whole life :smiley:

5 Likes

Yes! Yes they are! They so are.

1 Like

They probably are
But I can’t see it as something that would personally help me since the things that keep me sane are also technically on the internet
But it varies from person to person

2 Likes

It depends. If you’re taking a break cuz you genuinely want to deplug and focus on yourself, then most likely. What do you choose to do during the break helps a lot.

But if you’re taking a break because you feel like you have to or you’re forced to or you’re not actually focusing on yourself, then maybe not. I think it really depends on how you choose to tackle your mindset during the break

1 Like

Yes, they are! It gives you some personal space and you have more time to calm down and think what’s the best for you.

2 Likes

Yeah. It distracts me.

It depends, I mean watching whatever is on the internet makes me feel relaxed and it’s a distraction from certain problems.

1 Like

Yes and no.

They definitely can be, they give you a good chance to just focus on the things you like and also just reevaluate the way you see certain things.

1 Like

It’s a good tactic. It can remove distractions that might have been taking over your life in a negative way. Getting away from constant hashing that you might not agree with especially when they are super into making others believe that as well can cause less anxiety and stress.

It really depends. Like on the community you stay in most, and what keeps you on there often in the first place.

@Health , what do you think?

1 Like

Well, I’ve been on a break from my socials for a LONG time. HAHAHAHA

Closed due to inactivity