People should be fined according to their income

What do you think, @Debaters and @Discussions?!

If a person who makes a substantial income and is perceived as rich to most, they should be able to afford a fine if they are given one. While a low-income worker (even minimum wage worker) may not be able to afford a regular fine. So in order to get the money to the city and/or council, setting income-based fines could help with gaining more money for your town/city to put towards parks and emergency services. But is this fair on those people? And would the same need to be done with taxes too?

Do you think that people should be fined according to their income?!

5 Likes

Yes

3 Likes

Why do you think this?

2 Likes

Well, there are instances of people with a lower income not being able to pay a ticket, and the rich get off too easily because they can pay.

3 Likes

Yes. A fine can present unreasonable fees on some people and be less significant than a slap on the wrist to others, which I feel kinda renders them bad methods of punishing people fairly

4 Likes

Yeah! It’s unfair that one fine can take away someone’s entire income, while to richer people it won’t really make a difference. I think it’s fair that we’re fined this way, that way everyone pays an equal percentage of their income.

3 Likes

yes. it’s unfair that people with a lower income might have to pay a fine that costs more than they can afford, while rich people would pay a fine of the same exact value without a significantly large loss of money from their bank account occurring afterwards.

1 Like

Fines shouldn’t exist at all, in my opinion, unless paired with a more substantial consequence. Rich or no, having a system where money as the determiner to whether you ‘get away’ with something or not is extremely foolish, in my opinion.

Closed due to inactivity