Performative Activism

Okay, for those of you who don’t know what this is. It’s when usually a business pretends that they support a cause but they actually don’t really care about it, they’re doing it for views and interest.

Take Amazon for example, they consistently claim they want to combat climate change but they are, nowhere near eco friendly in reality. Even if they were, they treat their employee’s terribly so it honestly just looks like they’re trying to cover it up.

There are other companies that seem to support one cause but when you look into it and research, their actions say differently.

The reason I tie this to businesses is because I hate with a fiery passion when people accuse other people, particularly people they don’t know of performative activism. Just because somebody doesn’t talk about something frequently that doesn’t mean when they do talk about it, it’s fake. You do not know a persons intentions. It’s far better to aim this term at companies who you can actually find evidence for.

Even with celebrities it’s iffy, a lot of their actions are brought to the public eye so if they do or say anything that seemingly goes against what they said they support, that’s when I think it’s okay to be cynical. Other than that, if it’s a case of them not talking about it frequently then I don’t think their interest can be called fake, especially if they never claimed to be an activist in the first place.

@Debaters @Discussions

• Can you think of any examples?
  • What do you think of it?
5 Likes

Terrible.

Yeah, Amazon is one of the worst for this.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity