Photoshop VS Ibis paint VS Krita

Alright, time for the battle on the Art applications!

Though I have only used one of these products, I will do some research to explain what each programme does for you all to start the discussion.

Photoshop

One of the most thought about programme when one is to mention digital art. Photoshop offers users the ability to create, enhance, or otherwise edit images, artwork, and illustrations. Changing backgrounds, simulating a real-life painting, or creating an alternative view of the universe are all possible with Adobe Photoshop.
Though it is an expensive product, there is a way to get a free trial but only for 7 days. More info can be found here.

Ibis paint

This is an app which began with the desire to share the joy behind digital drawing through videos showing users’ actual drawing processes. It’s a social drawing app where that very concept comes to life via smartphones, tablets, and other devices.

A place to create and like all times of art and manga. From what I’ve seen, there are some great tools for you to create your ideas and make them come to life. More info can be found here.

Krita

This is a professional, FREE, and open source painting program. It is made by artists that want to see affordable art tools for everyone.
This seems to be a place for artists who want to create digital art (digital painting) and for them to share their work. More info can be found here.

Sooo… what are your thoughts on any of these? Which do you use and why?

6 Likes

Photoshop can do more in terms of art, illustration and editing. I love using the lasso tool and the blended colouring brushes. But, Krita is the main software I use to draw digitally. I love the base presets, it’s very easy to use and can give a very sleek, professional look much faster than Photoshop in terms of illustration. The ease of use combined with the fact that it’s completely free almost makes me forget that it lacks some essential elements of what makes Photoshop so appealing

2 Likes

I have to say that when I was doing my research on these, I found the other two very impressive for for free apps.

2 Likes

Photoshop

For photoship, yes the quality is good and all but it very pricey, and to everyone can afford it. The main focus of photoshop is for editing photos, not for drawing, therefore there will be plenty unnecessary features for artist. Phtotshops is an editing software, not an app. That’s why many artist prefer procreate than this.

Ibis paint

Ibis paint is free, you need to watch ads to access the brushes, but the difinition isn’t as good s photoshop. I often had to use the largest canvas possible so my drawings would not be pixalated. On top of that, the bluring tool is absolutely awful, I hate it. It will not give me that fresh looking transition but a foggy patch, which I hate. For android users, Ibis paint doesn’t hve the pen pressure feature, at least there’s the force fade feature.

Krita

I haven’t used Krita yet, but I’ve heard my friend used and she said there isn’t a alpha lock or clipping feature just like ibis paint.

I use ibis paint because I’m a broke hoe.

4 Likes

I haven’t tried the other 2 so I can’t say much about them but ibis paint is quite nice and easy to understand and it works good even on my old and small phone. The only thing that kinda bothers me is that it becomes quite laggy after a certain point of layers (depending on the canvas size it can be anything from 20 to 200) and it makes drawing almost impossible… I usually don’t watch the ads since the brushes you get for free are enough for me but it’s cool that you can access almost everything by just watching a short ad. And it also auto saves all the time in the background for me, so even if the app crashes, I still have all my progress saved :smiley_cat::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

3 Likes

Can you edit photos in Krita or Ibis paint?

I had an old version of Photoshop on my old laptop, but I really don’t want to pay all that money to install Photoshop on my new laptop. I have Medibang but it’s really hard to erase the background when I’m editing photos… there’s always that jagged white line around them.

2 Likes

Photoshop
I’ve used an old version of photoshop. I think photoshop elements 11 (?), something like that. It’s really nice to use for drawing and editing and have all the tools I need. I also just tried out the new version but haven’t really figured it out yet. Photoshop is great, although I’m pretty sure that I don’t use it to it’s full potential because I’m too lazy to look up how to do things. It’s probably worth the money, but it might not be necessary to purchase depending on what you’re going to use it for.

Ibis paint
Ibis paint is the app I use for drawing on my phone. I’ve done a couple of drawings and edits with it. I got very surprised that I actually could create something decent on my phone despite the small screen. It has every essential tool you need if you’re doing the stuff I do, drawing and some simple editing. I would love for it to come to pc too.

Krita
I remember searching for drawing programs and did some days of research a couple of years ago. It ended with me downloading Krita and I even recommend it to a friend who have been using it ever since. I never got to try it out since I had the old version of photoshop on the same computer, but I would love to see how it works. What’s cool about Krita is that it’s free and open source. Everyone can fix bugs and add functionalities. It’s all on GitHub if I remember it correctly. Of course it has to be approved etc., but that part of Krita is very cool.

2 Likes

So, I’ve tried out Krita recently and even created something for the section art competition with it :smiley_cat::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

Ignore the pixels outside the lines please :sweat_smile::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

I was really surprised how well it worked for me and my style, since I have no experience at all with art programs on a computer, but it was really easy to figure out for me. :smiley_cat::green_heart:
It sadly doesn’t seem to have some of the brushes I use in ibis to make fur look fluffier, but I figured out another method to draw fur, although it doesn’t work as good as how I draw in ibis… :sweat_smile::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:
What I really liked about it is that the brushes have categories, so it’s easier to find what I’m looking for and that it has a mode which makes it really easy to draw with my mouse without the lines looking shaky (I drew the hair outline with my mouse and I like how it turned out). But it doesn’t seem to have an auto-save option or at least I haven’t found one yet. And I still don’t get how to add and move text on my images, but I’m sure that I will figure it out eventually. :eyes::sparkles::green_heart::smiley_cat:
It’s really much better than most free drawing apps I’ve tried, especially since it doesn’t crash when I use a lot of layers and doesn’t whine about me using too many layers, when I’m only using 73 like some other drawing apps like to do cough ibis :eyes::eyes:

And kinda unrelated, but the microsoft store is really greedy for offering Krita for money when you can just download it for free from Krita’s home page :eyes::eyes:

I still haven’t tested Photoshop, but I might try it in the future :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

And can someone help me figure out how to add and move text in Krita? And explain what that weird circle with brush types is that sometimes appears when I accidentally right click? :pleading_face::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

3 Likes

So Krita is truly incredible as a free drawing app! There are only a few issues. I have some gripes with the way the lasso tool works, it isn’t as versatile as Photoshop, and the default brush selection is a little limited. However! You can actually mitigate this by downloading brush sets! Just look it up, or go by the Krita website and you should find some neat brush packs to add to it that are more similar to the kinds you’re used to!

However, the main gripe is that text functionality on Krita is limited to the point of non-existence. It’s really bad, I’m sorry to say you may not be able to use text stuff in Krita. I usually use Photoshop for adding text or editing drawings after finishing them

3 Likes

Whaaat they do? Lol… weird. Is it the same Krita then? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ooo, that sounds eyemazing! :smiley_cat::green_heart: I’ll try it out later if I don’t forget :eyes::eyes::green_heart:

Aw :crying_cat_face: I guess I’ll have to stick to ibis for text effects then :eyes::eyes:

I don’t know, but I won’t pay almost $10 to find out :eyes::eyes:

3 Likes

Probably! Krita has a donation option on their main website but sell it for free, they probably charge third-company storefronts for having it up though, which is smart on their part. It means more people will download it direct from them and get them more traffic!

2 Likes

Oh, that’s true. That makes sense! More sense than that Microsoft bought Krita to sell it which I initially thought.

2 Likes

I would hope not, I’ve donated a couple times so I don’t wanna need to pay a subscription >.<

2 Likes

I would have to go with Photoshop. I have used Ibis Paint and Krita before, but I personally don’t think they can top Photoshop’s abilities and possibilities.

2 Likes

This thread definitely needs a poll :eyes::eyes::green_heart:

• Ibis! :heart_eyes:
  • Krita! :heart_eyes:
  • Photoshop! :heart_eyes:
  • Don’t make me choose :sob:

0 voters

1 Like

I’m not really familiar with ibis and krita
But photoshop definitely isn’t disappointing

Guess who forgot about it? :grinning::gun:
I guess I’ll do that tomorrow when I finish my school project on my computer :eyes::eyes::green_heart: