Pokemon: Into the Woods...I mean, Pokemon Legends: Arceus

thinking-deep-thoughts

Alright, my forum family…I am a moderate gamer. Not a closeted one, I’ve nothing to hide…but a moderate one. Why? Because after the age of 25, my time has been sucked up by either full-time work, college, or both. So, you are forced to be picky and to choose where you want to spend those gaming hours on.

I am quite grateful to youtube gamers for providing their own fun clips and enjoyment of just about every game you can think of, because on the days that you really don’t have the time or skills to get past rough game patches, you can at least see them play out Or, if you’re tired of the game altogether, spoil yourself by skipping about to see what happens with someone else’s gameplay videos.

I am also lucky to have friends and family with different tastes in games. Some who prefer the laid back Animal Crossing type games, others that are all about action and adventure…rarely do all five of us agree on truly enjoying the same game on the same level…until now.

Yes, 15 year old girl, ride like the wind on that wyrdeer!

Now, I am an old-as-dirt pokemon gamer. I played the original red/blue games on a Nintendo gameboy after my cousins were through with them. I then went into a long lull of not playing any pokemon games until my nephew forced me to play Pokemon X/Y…the gameplay and graphics had changed to the point of being able to customize your character to your liking. My girl had a fedora and suit…as if she had come off the set from Michael Jackson’s Smooth Criminal music video. (I actually own a blue fedora because of that outfit)

Having once again found the joy of pokemon games, I went back and played them all…Platinum, Black/White, the revamped Sapphire and Ruby…all of the remakes…and I learned the region I loved the most (Sinnoh, ironically the one we’re in right now in Arceus, only it’s 3D and glorious now instead of pixelated and overpopulated with modern day buildings and structures).

My ultimate favorites, even up to the Sword/Shield age, were the Hawaiian themed Pokemon Sun/Moon…mostly because we could do this:

ThirdNastyChickadee-max-1mb

However, despite how they changed things up from game to game, the gameplay was still mostly the same:

You, a 10 year old child, obtain an uncommon pokemon and leave the comfort of your home and your mother to become the Pokemon Champion, having defeated other pokemon trainers, professionals, and the extreme elite for the title.

Gamefreak and the team behind Pokemon Arceus have finally raised the stakes…and the AGE. Thus far (I refuse to watch gameplays to not be spoiled on this one), this game seems more like:

You, a 15 year old teenager glued to your cellphone, encounter GOD (I am so not joking…and, ok, it’s the God Pokemon not the human God…), who FORCES you into another world where you are completely cut off from your home and loved ones and have to FIGHT EVERYTHING THAT COMES AT YOU TO SURVIVE. Good luck trying to get back home, you little loser, cause Arceus isn’t letting you go back until you have fulfilled the mission it has for you.

I f*cking love this game, and I’ve only played it for some 8 hours. I’ve never been scared of Pokemon before. But, in Pokemon Legends: Arceus…

pokemon-legends-arceus-snorlax

The speed of that enraged Snorlax can never be unseen.

5 Likes

I NEED IT. Recommend?

2 Likes

Yes. Cartridge version so it doesn’t take up all the switch space. Also since there is no real online aspect to it, there is no real rush to get it right away.

2 Likes

Online? Well, I’m getting a lite, so I can’t hook it up to a tv. It’s just the handheld.

2 Likes

I have NEVER seen a Pokémon move that fast.

2 Likes

Well, the cartridge should be compatible with the Lite, yes.

2 Likes

Once you get the Wyndeer (one of the mounts), the world is a wonderful place (and I forgot which button, but there is a button that makes him go even faster)

3 Likes

Awesome.

1 Like

Ohh!

2 Likes

How many mounts are there? Is it like Sun and Moon in that regard??

2 Likes

A friend told me that the story sucked

2 Likes

Yes! The different mounts perform different tasks. One digs for treasure, another crosses water, one climbs up mountains and trees, etc.

2 Likes

Really? I’ve just found it hilarious thus far. It’s less a story and more a missions-based, exploratory game where you spent 99% of your time out in the fields, in the water, up mountains, in the snow…the little parts that I’ve seen of the “story line” have been stupid-funny. For me, the pokemon games with the best stories were the black&white series followed by the alpha&omega series (ok the storyline here was very stupid…two different teams trying to resurrect apocalyptic pokemon for whatever reason…BUT, their interactions throughout the game had me laughing so damn hard that it was a fun and memorable experience for me). Another cute one was one where the opposite gender character/game rival played a ROMANTIC LEAD SUPPORT which took me by complete surprise…Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I shipped them SO HARD (forget the fact that they were 10 year old kids). But, yeah, pokemon games aren’t played for the storylines…don’t get me started on the complete and utter ridiculousness of the X/Y storyline.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Woo! Let’s go.

2 Likes

I can’t stop grinning.

2 Likes

I’m also excited for the new ones coming out, Scarlet and Violet.

2 Likes

I also want Sword or Shield. Not sure which.

2 Likes

Me too! That little duck starter looks so cute! Quackersby, I think?

2 Likes

OH! I can help with this, hold on!!

2 Likes