Portraying Disabilities On Episode

Personally I would love to see some good stories that portray a disability, either mental or physical, in a good way. This is a thread were we can either share stories that include this, discuss what we need from episode to represent disability better and ask specific questions about how to portray disabilities.

I just wanted to say that at this point there is some mental disability representation, but I’ve not seen too much while that’s not something you need episode for, where as the physical disability I would love to have more possibility like hearing aid and wheelchairs for example.

12 Likes

I don’t see them much, or maybe I just don’t read them.
I know that @Nelle is writing one right now, with the paralyzed (bottom half) guy, I’m defo gonna check that one.

3 Likes

I recommend stories that portray mental health and disability in a very respectful way such as:

• Speak by J. Miley
  • Right Beside You by Nelly
  • Dance With The Demons by Scarlett & Sarah Anne
  • Dead Woman Walking by EvelinaWrites
  • Meet You At Home by Sapphyre Winter (I forgot the author’s name lol)
4 Likes

Her silent voice is a great story :+1:

1 Like

Bump, anyone read any stories with characters that have a disability?

Also, just wanted to say that if you wanna write a story including a disabled character, do your research and be respectful about it.

1 Like

It’s a shame that you can’t do much with Episode in terms of wheelchairs and prosthetics. It would take a great advanced level of coding for someone to make a wheelchair overlay look good, because they would have to have an arm that is in front of the character if they’re facing sideways, which means working multiple overlays in tandem. It would be nice if Episode just made wheelchairs a prop, and made prosthetics choices in character/outfit creation

4 Likes

Speaking of, it was published and it’s very good.
Ten steps to her door by Nelle

3 Likes

I’ll check it out!

3 Likes

lemme know what you think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the story Victims Of Love, they have a character with dwarfism.

Life According To Rosie is about alopecia.

Not sure if there’s any stories about disabilities. Be careful not to read stories that do not portray characters with disabilities properly as I came across one where the person did no research on autism.

1 Like

I hope episode later releases a wheel chair overlay since limelight has so many sitting animations, I think it’d be more major than the updates we have lately.

1 Like

There’s a story called From Zero to Hero, I think… the author’s name is Dr. Smile. It features a male MC who is in a wheelchair.

1 Like

I totally agree. To see a character with anxiety, go through their life would really warm my heart. Unlike other video games, there is a really good opportunity to do mental illness right.

There’s a story that was either on a contest shelf or a short story shelf (something along those lines) called Paper Planes in which one of the main characters goes deaf from a car accident. The author used the ear piece accessory to represent hearing aids and they established that bolded and italicized text meant the characters were communicating in ASL. I think it was pretty well-written.

Closed due to inactivity :two_hearts: