Red Herring and the Art of Distraction

Originally published at: https://shanniiwrites.com/2020/06/09/red-herring-and-the-art-of-distraction/

What’s a Red Herring? Sounds like a fish, right? But what would that have to do with a blog about creative writing? Keep reading to find out! Definition A Red Herring is a distraction in a piece of writing. The name is based on a tale about hunting dogs getting distracted by the smell of…

By the wonderful @Rainbow :heart:

16 Likes

Interesting!

Keep reading to find out!

That’s what you said hehe :dizzy:

7 Likes

Super well written and helpful! :raised_hands:t3:

5 Likes

Whenever I think about this topic I keep getting reminded of A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. He mentions a lot of writing techniques in his stories, which is actually genius considering he uses a lot of them.

7 Likes

Aww thanks :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

I really didn’t expect you’d accept my rad fish as the featured picture :joy:

4 Likes

Lol in one of the book series, the red herring is a literal red herring lmao. I’m sorry I love Lemony Snicket too much

5 Likes

It’s amazing!

3 Likes

I need to have a look at that, it’s not very popular here :smile_cat:

3 Likes

But I made it more out of boredom and trying to procrastinate on my homework :joy: And I couldn’t find a cute fish online

3 Likes

what a shame!

3 Likes

Lemony Snicket has such an amazing and unique writing style that I absolutely love to death.

Also awesome blog post Shannii!

3 Likes

Yet another great one, Rainbow :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome post!

2 Likes

Thank you :see_no_evil:

1 Like

From one of my favorite movies:

2 Likes

It’s kind of ironic that although I wrote that blog post and gave tips on how to use a red herring in your story, I’m not able to write a good one in my story :joy: Being careful not to make it too obvious? That’s really not one of my skills. Whenever I try to add a red herring, it’s so obvious that it hurts my poor writer brain :sweat_smile: I guess I just need more practice. And maybe I should read my own blog post to learn something :joy:

1 Like

I bet it’s better than you think! Maybe you just need someone to go through it with? :eyes:

1 Like

Maybe I just need to finally plan my stories :joy:

Just added tags