Roald Dahl was absolutely amazing

Roald Dahl(Sep, 13, 1916 - Nov, 23, 1990) was an Author, poet, screenwriter, and…fighter pilot. Yes, you heard me. He has written more than 20 children’s books, including Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and it’s sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

He was born in Wales. He served in WWII, and was severely injured when he had to make an emergency landing in a desert in Libya. Due to this, he spent five months in a hospital in Alexandria, Egypt. His life wasn’t without sadness, though. In in November 1962, Dahl’s seven year old daughter Olivia died from Encephalitis caused by measles. The books James and the Giant Peach, and The BFG. He later became a staunch supporter of vaccines, even writing a paper in 1986 about Olivia and why people need to vaccinate.

Also, he did something monumental for the Neurologic community. In 1960, Dahl’s four month old son Theo’s pram was hit by a taxi. He developed Hydrocephalus, and I hope you know where this is going. Yes, Roald Dahl helped develop the shunt. Ok, I’ve talked long enough. Sorry This is so long.
@Bookworms @Discussions

4 Likes

omg he is the one that wrote it?

2 Likes

Yes! He wrote a lot. He even wrote some adult fiction too. The Landlady is my favorite. It’s a horror story.

2 Likes

He also wrote the BFG (Big Friendly Giant) and, my personal favorite, Fantastic Mr. Fox.

2 Likes

Very true. I didn’t really feel like listing them all, though.

2 Likes

He also attributed writing all those amazing books to the head injury he suffered during the plane landing, so…uh, yay.

1 Like

The Twits and Revolting Rhymes were always my favourite. Though Boy (story of his childhood) was bloody brilliant too. I just picked up the next book after Boy (Teen & War years) a couple of months ago but haven’t read it yet.

The man was an ICON!

I still love that co-wrote the screenplay for Ian Flemming’s (James Bond author) book Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

2 Likes

Oh yeah! I read Boy. He really was an icon.

1 Like

Wasn’t this about a killer car, or something?

1 Like

Not at all. It’s a kids’ musical film about a family, imagination, and a flying-sailing car. Though, for kids is said loosely since it was for kids back in the 60s and so it might not reach the guidelines for a kids film these days. Given that below is the main antagonist and gave most kids (like tween and below) nightmares. HAHAHA

The Child Catcher

Child-catcher

1 Like

Ohhh, whoops. Why’d I think it was a killer car instead of a flying one? I remember the child catcher.

1 Like

IDK. Have you seen the film?

1 Like

Like any person, though, he’s not a saint. He had some incredibly racist ideas that, while common of his time, aren’t something we should ignore. In fact, the Oompa Loompas had to be changed a little because they were basically black slaves when he first wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I feel like I need to say (because some conservatives are either bad-faith actors or literally stupid and can’t understand that nuance is not the same as condemnation) that I am not trying to cancel him. However, people are people. Dead people are people. Fantastic writers are people. We need to look at both the good and the bad.

Also, although sure he’s a product of his time, many people during his time weren’t racist.

3 Likes

I do love his work, though. As a nerdy kid, Matilda spoke to me. The BFG was one of the first films I ever saw. I performed the Grand High Witch’s speech from The Witches for one of my acting exams and got a Distinction. I read Esio Trot and George’s Marvellous Medicine and The Twits so many times. Matilda is also an amazing play. Its just that I think we need to remember that people like Dahl are flawed. They’re not saints and we aren’t either. We are capable of doing amazing things just like him because you can be extremely flawed and still do good for the world

Well, yeah. I do remember that.

He also wrote Lamb to the Slaughter! One of my favorite stories from him

2 Likes

I’m sorry I’ve never heard of that story.
BUT IM SURE ITS STILL AMAZING AND IM GLAD YOU ENJOY IT

2 Likes

Oh, it’s a short story. I’ll see if I can find it online!

1 Like

Should I link The Landlady? I’ll put a trigger warning.

Why?

1 Like