RPing & SGing Disabilities

Disabilities can come in a variety of forms. Mental or physical, minor or severe. A disability can impact the way your character lives their life and the way they interact in the RP. Writing for a character with disabilities can seem like a daunting task though, particularly if you have no personal experience with the disability yourself. Writing for a character with any kind of disability requires research, and an open mind, and particularly a willingness to hear feedback, but that’s not a reason to not make a character with a disability of any kind. After all, a character with a disability is just as much of a character as any other.

Have you written a character with any disabilities? If so, what disabilities have you written, and what was it like?
What do you think about seeing characters in RPs and SGs with disabilities?
If you’ve seen a character with a disability that you have, what was it like to see them portrayed?

@RPers

5 Likes

:eye:

1 Like

Uh, ngl a few of my characters do lol
Crow Fallis (wheelchair user and autistic) and Ainslie Jerico (blind) from ‘Just Another School For The Gifted’
Also Freya Loch (autistic) and Amelia Bjorgman (adhd (idk if adhd is one but hey)) from Fairtytaled

I love seeing them, because disabled people deserve representation, especially as we still get very little in the media :]

Very nice :relieved: I was really happy to see that people actually portrayed them sensitively, rather than the way movies have done in the past (I’m autistic)

3 Likes

Yes, I have had characters who have been amputees, ones who have been blind or deaf or even mute, and I’ve even had characters with different variations of autism. Like my Blue, from FTD, who is very imaginative and wants friends, but just struggles with conversations.

You just have to remember that the characters are not their disabilities and are so much more!

1 Like

I have. Some of the ones I have done are characters who are deaf, blind, or mute. I have also made a character who is not entirely deaf, but she does wear a hearing aid. I feel like I’m forgetting something… (and I’m just talking what I believe counts as disabilities, not simply medical conditions.)
For me, its just like writing any other character. Their disabilities are simply something that they have to find a way to work around for whatever lies ahead of them in the RP. Its a layer of the character. For the most part, I haven’t gone into much for disabilities that would require in depth research, but I still make sure I at least do enough research to feel like I can accurately portray what I’m writhing.

As long as the creator has put clear thought into the character and thought about how the disability impacts the character on each level, I welcome RPers to go for it.

1 Like

My new boy from FTD is going to have walking issues. He’s a Jiangshi, and they’re stiff from Rigor Mortis.

2 Likes

I made him if anyone is interested in seeing him!

2 Likes

I made a girl with Ehlers Danlos once.

1 Like

What is that?

1 Like

It’s a connective tissue disorder where the skin is super stretchy and the joints are hyper mobile. The simplist thing can cause a dislocation. Salem(my character) dislocated her shoulder by pushing herself to a sitting position.

1 Like

Oh, wow. Super sucky for people woh have the disorder.

1 Like

Yeah. She couldn’t even shower. She had to use a tub.

Umm… what?

1 Like

If she fell in the shower, she’d hurt herself.

I mean, I feel the shower would be less risky. 'Cause it’s mainly older people who slip in the shower (Statistically), whereas with the bath, there are angles. Meaning the way you angle your body getting in and out, slippage and dislocation is far more likely.

1 Like

Ooh. I never thought of that!

1 Like

Yeah, just saying.

1 Like