School toxicity rant

Is it just me, or do I just think school is becoming more toxic? Like now school is about grades and competition when it should be more about learning, gaining new knowledge, and preparing you for the real world. Now colleges just care about grades and AP courses. I just think taking AP courses doesn’t necessarily mean you’re intelligent, the same goes for getting straight A+'s as well.

15 Likes

I really agree with this. And the whole grading system (in America) is really damaging as well. Just makes students feel more stressed. Other countries have 70’s and 80’s as being pretty good grades to get and how they grade assignments is pretty fair. Here, its the above 80’s that gets seen as good, and how we grade assignments isn’t too great either. Atleast in my school that is.

9 Likes

Apparently, at my school, it is very competitive since it’s a really good school. So like getting a B+ is not really good since the average grade you should get is at least an A- or A which is stressful. Yes definitely, I think they should assign fewer assignments to make it less stressful but for grade wise, they should grade strictly so we can learn from the mistakes and improve them.

5 Likes

Added rant tag :sparkles:

2 Likes

Currently failing school rn due to my mental health getting worse and me not being motivated to do anything after some of my teachers messed up my grade too many times

8 Likes

It has been toxic for a long time in the 21st century. I also feel that school doesn’t really care about your mental health either, they act like everything is a competition these days!
Teachers blatantly act like these parents that compare you to other children and that is totally unfair!!!

7 Likes

True that. People have even resorted to using unfair methods to get fake grades and degrees by paying a lot of money. They get admissions to universities using them.

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this discussion for years :smirk:

4 Likes

I’m going to be honest, my middle school and high school are really TOXIC.
Teachers do nothing about bullying, in fact they actually roast some students.

As for grades.
We use to have this prep day, and there were 3 teams.

Each team had a award for who finished their tests and stuff, who got the highest grade, who got the lowest grades, who was more absent.

It was awful tbh.

6 Likes

They basically compared us all.
Letting the team with best test scores have a prize, while the rest sit there and watch.
I don’t think it was so motivating.

4 Likes

Not failing but i relate-

3 Likes

Thats just…wrong in so many ways. Students have to feel the need to push themselves that way. Teachers and schools really need to show students that you don’t always need to get A’s to be seen as “good”.

3 Likes

My school is toxic asf and it’s not just the grades but being a black girl in a mostly white school really grinds on you because they already have these stereotypes about you and somehow expect you to represent the entire race so while I’m dealing with that I’m also trying to be as competitive with grades and extracurriculars for an Ivy Leauge school and passing my classes even though I’m near depressed from quarantine and the grading system, so yeah :v: :kissing_closed_eyes: Just love school.

6 Likes

Yesss I agree with you, even though students should set high expectations, getting A’s doesn’t determine whether you’re intelligent or not, but if you’re able to understand the material clearly even if you don’t get good grades in like exams, I think that makes you more intelligent. And getting a B+ isn’t that bad either because it shows you passed the exam and that you understood a good amount of the material.

3 Likes

Oh, I would understand the feeling as a POC if I were placed in your shoes. Getting into an ivy league can be really competitive, but even if you don’t get into an ivy league, there are still some excellent schools you can get into it that is a lot better than ivy leagues. Good luck, I think you’ll have the chance the get in if you have a good GPA, good SAT/ACT, and extracurriculars.

2 Likes

Really? Cause it’s worse in India!

How is it in India?

1 Like

What grade are you in? I can try too help if you’re confused on things.

The schools I have had were ok I guess? I mean they didn’t care about getting like an 80. however please don’t start about bullying all that kind of stuff. I remember a teacher telling me that I should probably give up on school considering that I’m a woman and I would probably have to stay at home and take care of children later.

2 Likes

My school is absolutely horrible. Most of the students in my class are smart snobs, and it’s so hard to keep up with them. The school I go to is kinda for the :sparkles: rich kids :sparkles: and me? I’m not rich at all. I’m average. And now the teachers think I’m dumb because of that, and I have to prove everyday that I’m not. If I get a B+, it’s paraded everywhere and “Hailey you could’ve done much better” is all I hear. But when I get an A+, no one says anything. It’s like it doesn’t even matter. And my mental health is :wilted_flower: rubbish :wilted_flower: rn, and all this pressure makes me wanna scream :relieved:

2 Likes