Science Facts Thread

Here is where you can drop down your favorite science facts or share a daily science fact! Don’t let it floppppp.

Everyone can post multiple a day, I don’t mind.

First fact for you @Scientists, the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. :smiley:

4 Likes

Woah my life has been completeth-

3 Likes

“There is enough DNA in the average person’s body to stretch from the sun to Pluto and back — 17 times.”

1 Like

Yes lol

Ok I will flex knowledge too :grinning::+1:

" Every hydrogen atom in your body is likely 13.5 billion years old because they were created at the birth of the universe."

1 Like

The rarest naturally-occurring element in the Earth’s crust is astatine

1 Like

The human stomach can dissolve razor blades.

1 Like

There are more trees on Earth than stars in our galaxy

1 Like

Only two letters J and Q don’t appear in the periodic table

2 Likes

ALL QUOTED STRAIGHT FROM HERE

Your mind is not your own.

Freud might have been wrong in the details, but one of his main ideas—that a lot of our behaviors and beliefs and emotions are driven by factors we are unaware of—turns out to be correct. If you’re in a happy, optimistic, ambitious mood, check the weather. Sunny days make people happier and more helpful. In a taste test, you’re likely to have a strong preference for the first sample you taste—even if all of the samples are identical. The more often you see a person or an object, the more you’ll like it. Mating decisions are based partly on smell. Our cognitive failings are legion: we take a few anecdotes and make incorrect generalizations, we misinterpret information to support our preconceptions, and we’re easily distracted or swayed by irrelevant details. And what we think of as memories are merely stories we tell ourselves anew each time we recall an event. That’s true even for flashbulb memories, the ones that feel as though they’ve been burned into the brain: Like millions of people, [neuroscientist Karim] Nader has vivid and emotional memories of the September 11, 2001, attacks and their aftermath. But as an expert on memory, and, in particular, on the malleability of memory, he knows better than to fully trust his recollections… As clear and detailed as these memories feel, psychologists find they are surprisingly inaccurate.

1 Like

We’ve already changed the climate for the rest of this century.

1 Like

99% of us is empty space

1 Like

90% of cells in the human body aren’t human

1 Like

The human body has enough iron to make one nail.

1 Like
  • The Eiffel Tower can be 15 cm taller during the summer.
  • 20% of Earth’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon rainforest.

These were copy-pasted off Google.

Music can help you exercise better.

I love this fact:

“Believe it or not, numerous studies have indicated that playing music for plants really does promote faster, healthier growth. … She determined that plants “listening” to rock music deteriorated quickly and died within a couple of weeks, while plants thrived when exposed to classical music

@Scientists

Got anything?

Here’s some. (Also spoken on the thread of space facts)

• We believe there are no black dwarfs yet in the universe.

• The Andromeda galaxy and our own will merge in 4.5 billion years, and both spread out enough to not cause much violent collision.

• The Earth’s core’s “facts” are actually just scientists’s hypothesis. We don’t actually know what’s inside this Earth or if there’s actual layers because we don’t have the manpower to actually dig deep enough, so really, it’s truly a mystery.

• The possibilities of there being multiple universes, isn’t as crazy as it seems.

• Weird but true: even black holes die.

@AstrologyStudents?

1 Like

I’ve seen plenty tho-