Scotland Mythology Advice

Im not exactly positive if this is the correct place to put this but if not then… oops!

Anyway for my in the works story (which is technically published), for some of the challenges, I plan on incorporating myths from Scotland as well as other various places, but instead of not doing justice to these myths I figure it better to ask someone who has knowledge of the myths to help me out!

Essentially Im curious about what Scottish Myths would be interesting to incorporate into the story, and some facts about those myths – if anyone is willing to help out that would be amazing.

Also if anyone has any other myths not from Scotland im still happy to hear them!

4 Likes

Have you heard of kelpies? :eyes:

5 Likes

:new_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

That’s also very Irish! And Selkies :eyes:

4 Likes

I have heard of both of those but I know very little about them.

2 Likes

I have 0 knowledge of Scotland so please teach me of the mythology O’Wise one.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, Kelpies are shapeshifting water horses that lure their victims into lochs to drown them.

Selkies are people who can shapeshift into seals

4 Likes

Are the Selkies murderous aswell

2 Likes

Nope! They can sometimes have their seal skin stolen from them and are forced to stay on land, though! But a great film to watch for that is Song of the Sea. Adorable cartoon

3 Likes

Depends on the story really. There are stories and myths where they don’t hurt people and even play with kids. Scottish and Irish mythology are deeply linked on their own, but they share a common feature that’s also prevalent in mythologies like Norse. That is: We don’t know a whole lot about them.

See we have accounts here and there, a lot of them from outside sources but most of it is out of context or part of a whole narrative really. All told by different people across different times. Essentially yeah, anything you find can either be murderous, gentle or just a guy with horns. It just depends

2 Likes

I’ve never read a story with a murderous selfie. I mean, seals :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Selfies can be very murderous.

2 Likes

They exist, if you look hard enough. It all does.

1 Like

:disappointed: This is why I hate replying on my phone

That and accidentally sending a whole message in a disgustingly nonsensical mix of hiragana and English

1 Like

Ah but it was kinda funny.

1 Like

I might have chuckled

1 Like

Might just might. I figured it would be more like I chuckled.

1 Like

OoOooO I LOVE SCOTTISH MYTHOLOGY.

I love all myths to be honest!

I can tell you history, monsters, all about the fae, magic and so much more!

2 Likes

Didnt know Scotland had myths
Intresting.

2 Likes

…Very excited.

2 Likes