(Secondhand) Vicarious embarrassment

Vicarious embarrassment is the embarrassment you receive from watching another person or reading about someone doing something without doing it yourself, but just observing.

A definition from Wiki also explains well:

“Vicarious embarrassment (also known as secondhand , empathetic, or third-party embarrassment) is the feeling of embarrassment from observing the embarrassing actions of another person.”

What are things that people do that you see that you feel secondhand embarrassment for? What are some things you get embarrassed for seeing a person do?

Give me some fun stories, @Discussions lol. And/or awkward ones.

6 Likes

I get secondhand embarrassed a lot

1 Like

Secondhand embarrassment is embarassing :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Every time i watch Miraculous Ladybug I can just feel my skin crawl.

1 Like

wowowowowow
didnt know
thenks

2 Likes

:sob: It’s sad but true

1 Like

I have been to quite a lot of them, but I forget them so the I and the world are chill :cowboy_hat_face::+1:

1 Like

I get secondhand embarrassment when I’m watching films/tv :weary: also when someone stumbles or trip irl

1 Like

I used to get a lot of second hand embarrassment on films or TV shows or irl, but I’ve noticed I don’t anymore. I noticed that as I grow not to scare what people think, my second hand embarrassment went away. It’s been a long time since I’ve experienced this feeling

1 Like

During an exam, I got secondhand embarrassment when a student got caught cheating. He deserved it but the look on his face was so… :woman_playing_handball:

I get second hand embarrassment when someone is wrong about something but they are so very sure they’re right and someone has to awkwardly explain that it’s not that way anymore. Oof.

That doesn’t really make sense. Secondhand embarrassment is feeling embarrassed for someone else for what they’re experiencing, though you’re not actually on the receiving end of the situation. What you’re talking about is considered first-hand.

Yes, I know what it is. I’m saying as I start to focus less on how other people think of me and how they might feel, my second hand embarrassment for other people also goes away

Ok then.

added tags :kissing_heart:

and I always have to skip scenes in movies when I feel secondhand embarrassment :weary:

1 Like

kissy kissy scenes

1 Like

ew

1 Like

homophobes and transphobes give me second hand embarrassment :heart_eyes:

:innocent::hocho::drop_of_blood:

When someone farts in public and EVERYONE KNOWS WHO THAT PERSON IS-