September Poetry Contest: Emotions

Welcome to the September Poetry Competition! Let’s get some amazing entries and show some fantastic writing.

The theme for this contest (based on our weekly theme) is emotions. Hopefully you’ll come up with some amazing pieces! :two_hearts:

I’m going to give you two weeks to finish your pieces (until September 14th) and then there will be a public vote for the winner! The winner will have their winning piece put up on Instagram if they want after passing a short review for plagiarism.

Because no contest is complete without rules, here’s what you need to know:

• Maximum of 20 lines.
  • You can submit up to three pieces for the contest.
  • You cannot submit work that you do not own.
  • Your work must fit the theme in some way, although you are allowed to openly interpret the theme.

@Writers

7 Likes
Question
  • Do we have to post it here or pm you?
2 Likes

You should post it here!

2 Likes

:no_mouth:

2 Likes

This goes for anyone:
If you really want it to be anonymous, you can PM me and I can post it anonymously :eyes:

2 Likes
My entry

NUMB

Why is it so hard to express?

All my emotions are fighting with me.

Why all I do is bite my nails?

When, inside, it’s crushing and eating me?

Kept writing LOL and ROFL –

In each of my replies, everywhere,

Despite being so void all the time

'Cause no one really cares.

I wanna scream my heart out –

I want to cry myself an ocean

I wish to laugh nonstop,

I wish to pour out my emotions.

Saw my mom crying at the funerals,

I heard my dad weeping behind.

There I stood like a statue, in the corner–

No signs of sadness, nor making any sound.

Locked myself in the bathroom,

Even tried to force myself to cry.

But the fear of being called ‘weak’ -

Had made me numb and my tears, dry.

8 Likes
My Entry

5 Likes

@Writers ~ any more entries? :eyes:

4 Likes

passie I’ll try to join, if I don’t today, remind me tmrw

2 Likes

Reminderrr

2 Likes

Thank u passie :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Vote for your favorite entry!

The Entries

0 voters

@Writers :eyes:

7 Likes

Congratulations @OhSumana! :partying_face:

Do you have a suggestion for what the next theme should be?

2 Likes

OMS, thank you so much guys for appreciating my poetry. To be honest it’s my first time submitting my writings to any contest or stuff like that knowing I’m not really confident about them. If I’m being honest with myself and all of you, then I personally think the standards of my writing is below average. Winning this contest for this month means a lot for me.

@lamecast88 your poem was shorter but more beautiful. I need some tips from you, if you’re willing to help.

And since I’m recently obsessing over William Blake’s “The Sick Rose” and William Wordsworth’s “Composes Upon Westminster Bridge”, I’d suggest something about the ominous theme or describing a sight one admires.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Your description of numb felt real and relatable :heart: It was my first time submitting something as well!
And thank you. Sucks to say, but I rarely write poetry and it’s usually when I’m feeling down or overthinking. Not sure how I can help (because you’re doing d*mn good) but I can try! :hugs:

2 Likes

Based on a true story

Me too me too. But I get ideas at random times, like from a dream, or when I’m taking a shower or doing my homework :joy: it’s the songs I listen and rain that inspires me the most.

Eh, no. There are many discontinued poems in my diary. I kept them unfinished because their depth of concept did not appeal to me anymore at some point.

2 Likes

Congratulations to the winner! See you all again next month :two_hearts: