Sexism in the music industry

There is still alot of sexism in the music industry, especially in genres like rock and metal. But also in rap music (some of the lyrics and stuff). It’s been that way for a while. If anybody wants to try and say that it’s no longer an issue then please do some research, you will see alot of female artists telling stories about how if they didn’t comply with the label they were branded as a b*tch whereas a male who did the same thing was just seen as being manly.

I like alot of female rock musicians and they all agree on one thing, it is a male dominated industry and the girls are treated like crap. Especially by certain metal elitists who believe girls can’t scream. Bro go listen to Maria Brink, she’ll teach you something.

Anyway here is a thread to discuss.

6 Likes

Yeah, it is a major issue. I mainly know about the example you give of lyrics in rap music, but it’s just weird if people think someone can’t do something just cause of their gender, that doesn’t make any sense to me in general.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m trying to find some articles because I remember seeing one that said “why female metal sucks and should be stopped”

2 Likes

Btw this doesn’t mean that I hate rap music and think it should be stopped, I’m not that kind of person. I just lowkey wish that it wasn’t as mysoginistic.

4 Likes

Sexism in rap… oh boy!

The way women are treated in rap has historically been a mess. Specifically there’s been a lot of misogynoir because a lot of these degrading lyrics aim to degrade black women, especially those who are dark-skinned. Female rappers are always held to a higher standard too. Female rappers are quick to be called flops when the male rappers can get away with the same generic beats and weak bars.

This is why I listen to female rappers because apart from having great music they made some great strides to make rap fairer for women.

4 Likes

I don’t like rock in general, but I’m not blind to the fact that females generally get treated like sh’t in most genres (aside from pop and maybe a few others). Also no one remembers the sexism songs years after they are released.

You know the song 7 years by Lucas Graham? That was released in 2015, and I can still recite it word for word, there’s no romance in it like at all. Almost 5 and a half years ago.

Airplanes by B.o.B also talks about this kind of.

There’s a lot more I could list but the list is too short :cry: what I’m trying to say is non romantic songs (once they reach the top,) they stay in peoples memories for a while. Romance and sexism songs (unless really good) get buried/lost sooner or later.

And another thing. Why was Taylor Swift dragged back in the 2010s for writing about her breakups when all the other male pop artists were doing the exact same? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Exactly! Smh :skull:

I’m not a massive fan of Taylor Swift but that just wasn’t okay man :expressionless:

1 Like

Hold on i wasn’t aware there was sexism in rap. Wait wait they think ALL female artists are like taylor swift and ariana grande?! DREAM ON BOI
The only thing i noticed is the fact that all the popular rap songs are from men and they are everywhere! I know one song sang by a woman which i think the genre is kinda rock, i’m not sure and it’s not popular but whenever a not so talented rapper with those chainz drops a song, it gets popular right away.

ALSO Chris Brown released a song back in 2012 with the title ‘loyal’. Don’t let the title fool you, the song i about how girls aren’t loyal and he is even addressing 'em ‘hoes’. ‘These hoes ain’t loyal’ he says in this song which pretty misogynistic AND he assaulted Rihanna.

so what y’all say? Wanna beat those incels up?

2 Likes

I do not like Chris Brown and I never will!

2 Likes

Me neither

2 Likes

Sexist d-bag.

2 Likes

Literally I hate this stereotype. It’s so stupid!

Like what you said, a girl can do something and it’s considered bitchy or rude, but then ima guy can go and do it and they get countless amounts of praise. Like what the heck!???

2 Likes

Mkay do:

Man: writes a song about how girls are just un-loyal hoas

People: oooh this is a good song

Woman: writes song about 1 man being a d’ck

People: How rude, they should never have been allowed to write songs omg

3 Likes

Small appericiation posts for the women in rock!

cJ4tVLTiRqcO03uNEk
dtVnHiHUmdZUbAvImA
KnGSUF7l1g47e
ysWXfiWXAjkoo
plhrpBhtC1FVm

(Juliet Simms, Lzzy Hale, Maria Brink, Ashley Costello, Taylor Momsen)

There are more than this so feel free to send your own gifs to appericiate people.

1 Like

Lol for some reason Lzzy looks so confused in her gif

Closed due to inactivity :heart: