Shakespeare and Everything We Love About Him!

William Shakespeare is one of the greatest writers of all time. His plays are still studied and performed today and several have had film adaptations. This is a thread to discuss everything you love about him and his works. Personally, I enjoy reading his plays because of the variety in genres and the supernatural presence that can be found in some of them.

5 Likes

I like how they praise him in ‘Welcome to the Renaissance’ by Something Rotten on Broadway.

I’m sure he was a good writer…I just don’t understand his writing

2 Likes

“What, you egg”
[He stabs him]

1 Like

I love Macbeth and Hamlet.

1 Like

Shakespeare is hard for many people to understand, but once you begin to understand what is actually being said, Shakespeare’s works are amazing.
I’ve had to read multiple Shakespeare plays and even a couple of sonnets for school, and I love it when I get to read the plays. I’ve read a version of A Midsummer Nights Dream (it was a version written out as a story not the actual play), and I’ve read the play for Julius Caesar, Twelfth Night, and Romeo and Juliet.
Something I find extremely interesting is how many movies are actually, at least in part, Shakespeare. Some are obviously inspired by/adaptations of Shakespeare plays, but some are so much more subtle or easy to not notice the parallels unless you know.

2 Likes

It’s actually pretty cool how many kids movies are based off of Shakespeare plays, like The Lion King (1&2) and Gnomeo & Juliet.

2 Likes

Definitely! There are so many kids movies that are based on Shakespeare, and a lot of teen-young adult movies that are also based on Shakespeare like, Warm Bodies and 10 Things I Hate About You.

2 Likes

Sooo… does no one love Shakespeare as much as me, @Bookworms? Favourite play; I’ll tell you mine if you tell me yours?

3 Likes

My favourite ones will always be Merchant of Venice and Macbeth

1 Like

i don’t have one :eyes:

1 Like

Why?

How come?

1 Like

I haven’t seen a whole lot of them :eyes:

My mom’s brought me to many productions, but I have a really hard time following them because of how old they are

I’ve read Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet for school, and I wasn’t too big a fan of either of those (much of the enjoyment was killed by so much analysis) although of those two I definitely preferred Romeo and Juliet

1 Like

Hmm… maybe start with the comedies then. A classic would be A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Though a personal favourite is Much Ado About Nothing.

2 Likes

I probably will :eyes: I want to read more of them, but I don’t tend to have the time since it takes a while for me to figure out what they mean :pleading_face:

oooh pretty sure i’ve seen both of these before, although i can’t say i remember much from either

1 Like

Maybe try watching them first, by itself, maybe make a think for you and your mum to do. That way you can both discuss it to understand it more. Then watch it a second time with the play in hand so you can read along, pausing while you do.

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea :eyes:

1 Like

SO CONFUSING

While Comedy of Errors is quite funny

1 Like

Mine is Macbeth! I love the witches.

1 Like

Really?You thought it confusing?

The witches were great characters.

1 Like

Yeah :sweat: