Share your favourite book quote!

"But what if the mother tongue is stunted? What if that mother tongue is not only the symbol of a void, but is itself a void? What if the tongue is cut out? Can one take pleasure in loss without losing oneself entirely?
The Vietnamese I own is the one you gave me. The one whose diction and syntax reach only the second grade level. As a girl you watched, from a banana grove, your schoolhouse collapse after an American napalm raid. At five you never stepped into a classroom again.
Our mother tongue, then, is no mother at all but an orphan. Our Vietnamese, a time capsule. A mark of where your education ended, ashed.
Ma, to speak our mother tongue is to speak only partially in Vietnamese but entirely in war.

—On earth we’re briefly gorgeous

Ma . You once told me that memory is a choice. But if you were god , you 'd know it’s a flood.”

― Ocean Vuong, On Earth We’ re Briefly Gorgeous.

1 Like

“‘Hey,’ he said, half-asleep, ‘what were you before you met me?’
‘I think I was drowning.’
A pause.
‘And what are you now?’ he whispered, sinking.
I thought for a second. ‘Water.’”

― Ocean Vuong, On Earth We’ re Briefly Gorgeous.

1 Like

‘But when we sit together, close,’ said Bernard, ‘we melt into each other with phrases. We are edged with mist. We make an unsubstantial territory.’

~ “The Waves”, Virginia Woolf

1 Like

I cry at nothing, and cry most of the time. Of course I don’t when John is here, or anybody else, but when I am alone.

If a physician of high standing, and one’s own husband, assures friends and relatives that there is really nothing the matter with one but temporary nervous depression – a slight hysterical tendency – what is one to do?

-The yellow wallpaper, Charlotte Perkins Gilman

1 Like

“By you, I am forever undone.” ―The Queen of Nothing, Holly black

“I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve.” - Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

@Bookworms What’s your favourite book quote?

Fixed a tag, some emojis and images!

Tomas did not realize at the time that metaphors are dangerous. Metaphors are not to be trifled with. A single metaphor can give birth to love. - The unbelievable lightness of being

“Kaz leaned back. “What’s the easiest way to steal a man’s wallet?”
“Knife to the throat?” asked Inej.
“Gun to the back?” said Jesper.
“Poison in his cup?” suggested Nina.
“You’re all horrible,” said Matthias.”

2 Likes