Should animals have rights like humans?

Should animals have rights like humans?

Animals have substantially less legal rights than humans, which can lead to it being incredibly easy for people to do bad things to animals and environments since there are generally few repercussions and no good way to protect the animals.

• What might some of the benefits be of giving animals extended rights?
  • What might be some of the downsides of this?
  • What do you think the consequences of giving animals rights might be?
  • What rights do you think should be given to animals?

@Discussions

4 Likes

Okay okay okay what does rights mean though? Like the no cruelty thing I can get behind, but if the rights thing goes as far as to mean “every animal has a right to life” then I couldn’t support that. I love meat, it’d be hypocritical of me to say don’t kill animals then also be having a hamburger a few hours later.

2 Likes

hunting for sport is disgusting but I understand hunting for food

4 Likes

Would animals even be able to understand their rights!? :joy:

1 Like

yea. we shouldn’t touch their shi+.
if youre one of those people that says that like captivity and just human interference with their way of life protects them- from what? this is like the rape culture conversation. just pull the problem out by the root. its the same with inflation. things could fr be so much easier if u just opened up your mind.

1 Like

off topic. the death penalty is so wasteful. like, you can donate their organs, make wigs from their hair, feed them to animals, i dont see why their bodies need to be fried in front of a bunch of people.

1 Like

i just feel like we dont care about animals. we dont. we exploit them, and kill them, and domesticate them to fit our lifestyles. and you see it like such a normal thing.

1 Like

Definitely, theres a lot of terrible things happening

Even if we excuse eating them, we still treat them badly

1 Like

Greater protection for the animals I suppose though this is not guaranteed I mean look at the way some humans treat each other

Massive loss to industry and food production. Several economies would collapse and millions starve. Millions of acres of land given to animals who dont understand the concept of human ownership pushing already overcrowded human populations into worse squalor.

See my previous answer. Plus youd have to then enforce it as this would be a group that could not enforce it themselves.

There are rights that should be afforded to all animals.

The right to humane treatment

For example is one.

But at the same time we should also be aware that these things we call rights are a completely human sociological construct and it is only through the fact we are an Apex predator that we can afford such a luxury. Giving an animal the same rights as a human would mean it would be bound by the same rules and laws, which would be in no way enforceable. The animal after all cannot be arrested for murder or trespassing.

The animal does not care about the concept of justice or the morality of humanity. Most animals are quite basic in terms of cognition and cant grasp such complex concepts.

It is due to this that they are not afforded the same rights. Quite frankly, sociologically, Biologically we are on a different level.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity