Should circuses be animal free?

Well, the title is pretty self explanatory :joy:
But anyway: Serious topic and all.

Circuses are known to have diverse and exotic displays of animals doing various tricks, but is it humane? Or is it cruel to take these animals away from their natural habitats into a life of slavery and entertainment.
Many people love to see these animals performing, while others criticise circuses for animal abuse. Here are a number of links if you would like to read up on it:

Why animals should not be in circuses (animalsasia.org)
14 Biggest Pros and Cons of Animals in Circuses – ConnectUS (connectusfund.org)
Ringling’s End Could Mean Freedom For All U.S. Circus Animals (nationalgeographic.com)

Personally, I think that all exotic and wild animals should be kept away from circuses entirely. It’s cruel to keep them in such captivity 24/7, especially with the amount of animal abuse that occurs in these areas.
Domesticated animals like dogs and cats are more complicated, as they have already been ‘broken’ through breeding processes, so training them is a lot more simple. I’d say that animals like those maybe could be used in circuses, but only if they are permitted to live a full life, kept out of cages, and are not abused in any way during training processes.

@Discussions what do you guys think?

• Should animals be kept out of circuses?
  • Or should the laws tighten so that the animals remain, but are treated better?
  • Are there exceptions in your opinion?

feel free to discuss below

3 Likes

if they’re being abused then yeah

1 Like

Animal free. Unless they get treatment and get taken good care of after.

Yes 100%. Don’t really see the point of animals tbh and a lot of them get abused. I think that humans can do a lot more impressive stuff… I mean think about how much those animals would have to get trained.

1 Like

I personally have never been to a circus nor plan on going to one in the future. Think about it, most people are out here for the money and wouldn’t care if mistreating animals was a way to earn it. I think its horrible and animals are not for your entertainment. I’m pretty sure in Germany (im not 100% sure) there is a circus that uses holograms of the animals in performances. Which is 10x cooler and no animals will be harmed.

So yeah, and personally it’d be cooler to see someone juggle fire than watching a lion jump through the same three hoops.

1 Like

yees
in the one circus I’ve been to, the only animals they used were dogs and horses :joy:
the horses ran in circles and the dogs went through hoops. maybe not the most exciting, but it was better than watching wild animals get abused lol, and the human acts were way better anyway

1 Like

Animals in circuses have a long history of being subjected to abuse, especially bears, I don’t agree with animals constantly being moved from place to place (since most circuses travel) and never really having a home so to speak? Like, alot of animals are territorial by nature and need more room than the small cages they’re often kept in for circuses.

I think circuses can be rad but keep animals out of them, it just seems really outdated and still pretty cruel.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity