Should games have a political message in them?

Games are all fun and a great way to relax for some people, but should they also have a more serious function? Should games have a political message in them?

I don’t thing they need to have one, it’s fine if they don’t. Some people might not like them if games are too much about politics and conveying a message. And I think they should generally be careful with political messages in games when kids are able to play them as well

5 Likes

I don’t think they should because children are able to play those game and may get confused and the government of any nation may be portrayed badly on the game giving kids a negative view on them, because children seem to believe everything they see or hear

@Discussions

2 Likes

I think it vastly depends on the game. Like, if a kid is playing GTA, that’s their parent’s fault. Putting a politial message in an 18+ game is not a problem. Or even a 16+ game for that matter! I think we need to break away from this assumption that all games are for kids. It’s like saying we shouldn’t have any horror films ever because children might watch them. We have film (and game) ratings for a reason.

But also, what is wrong with political messsages as a whole? Almost everything is poliical. The things that we say “aren’t political” are usually just the politics of today, so we don’t even notice that the messages are there.

For example, villains in Disney films. What Disney portrays their bad deeds as being would be political! Plus, whether or not the villain is sympathetic.

I think it vastly depends on the political message.

3 Likes

Well I guess it depends on the message and the game age rating

1 Like

I think it’s hard to entirely avoid political topics in games, but there’s a certain extent to which contentious topics like abortion could actually be shown blatantly. It’s definitely hard to avoid taking any political stance, but I guess I’m thinking more about if it’s designed as a political thing :thinking: I don’t have an issue with it, though

2 Likes

Your use of abortion as a contentious political topic gives away your influence from American media :wink:

Most EU countries don’t debate things like that. Abortion is just legal and that’s that.

I think it’s misleading to refer to topics like that as political, though. Political messages in games don’t undermine age ratings, after all, and regardless of the political message in a story, abortion is still gonna be way too mature of a topic to cover for kids!

3 Likes

I hate that it’s the first thing I think of as a legitimate debate, it really should just be legal. People trying to police women’s bodies is and will always be disturbing to me

Definitely true! Although there are a lot of debated topics that are much more mature than I would put in a kids game :thinking:

I don’t really think of anything as being inherently political, though, until people start debating it. How on earth is something like global warming a “political” issue, it’s just scientific fact.

2 Likes

Perhaps more concisely, I don’t think games would talk about things like how much money the government should be collecting in taxes, what kind of tax, and for who, since that wouldn’t be a compelling narrative point. (Unless it’s something like civilization where that is the entire point of the game)

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity :zombie: