Should LGBTQ+ be taught in school?

I feel strongly that it should be, but I’m curious to know what you all think.

• Should LGBTQ+ be taught about in school?
  • In what levels of schooling should LGBTQ+ be taught, if you believe that it should?
  • What information should be taught in schools?
4 Likes

Yeah!

I think as early as possible. I think it should be introduced at the same time as children learn about everyone’s equal value and unconditional love from parent to child, in families, between friends and partners.

When they’re children it’s enough for them to know that everyone has equal value no matter who they love. When they’re older they probably would go into sexual education and talk about how to go through a transformation and hormones. Also that it’s not too uncommon to be born with two sexes. Probably about gender and social norms too but that could be taught pretty early on too.

3 Likes

Definitely

2 Likes

Why not?
If they’re teaching kids about parents and love and stuff like that then definitely.

But if they’re not then they should at least just teach the history side of it.

2 Likes

I think they should just be taught that it doesn’t matter who you like and that they shouldn’t be bullied for that

My school didn’t go into s*x a lot and just mainly talked about protection and you know reproductive organs and puberty. I think it should just be left at that. If you wanted to kinda “sneak in” a way to show it in younger kids just write a book that has two dads or moms to introduce the idea.

Any education is really fine in the matter you just have to scale it. Kindergarteners and 1-6 graders don’t really need to know any sexual orientations, they just need to be shown it in a normal light if that makes any sense. Like one series from my childhood Just Grace it focuses on Grace and her different stories in school. In her family life she has a dad and a mom who aren’t overly involved but still get mentioned fairly often. Instead of having a mom and a dad you could have two dads or two moms and the story wouldn’t change drastically.
Basically it would keep the character and story the same and have two parents of the same gender represented. Just add in some representation throughout the required reading that isn’t solely focused on the LGTBQ+ story that way it isn’t an overload later. For their history I wouldn’t write about graphic details maybe even exclude bits about suicide and hate crimes at this age: or touch on it briefly.

If any questions arrive then the parents could explain it or a counselor/teacher in simple terms.

High school students could probably handle more: a book focused on a LGTBQ+ characters and their relationship. Different genders being introduced. I don’t think s*x Ed has to change because mine focused on reproductive systems and puberty breast and prostate cancer etc. If it did I guess you could include pictures of same sex couples to show LGTBQ+ And the history of LGTBQ+ in more graphic detail.

1 Like

YES! For sure! I believe it should. Esepcailly how you know you are.

Maybe 6 or 7th grade and above. In science, of course.

Well, how to know if you are LGBTQIA, what every term is(or a lot of the terms are). These are MINIMUMS!

1 Like

Actually, yeah, that’s a really good point! I was just thinking 6th or 7th grade+ because of maturity.

Exactly!

That sounds good to me.

2 Likes

I mean, it could be an elective like Women’s Studies

Probably high school? When kids are old enough to understand attraction and sexuality.

History, I guess

Yeah, and kids don’t really understand romantic or sexual attraction yet. You’re going to get a bunch of kids running around saying they’re gay because they ‘love’ their mom or brother or teacher.

I’d use a bitmoji, but it’s not letting me.

Yes. 100% percent. Tolerant children become tolerant adults.

Honestly, I think it could be taught at any grade, but I feel like kids would take it more seriously if it was taught starting in third grade.

The basics of gender identity and sexuality, the difference between the two, terminology, examples of stereotypes and why they’re harmful, anti-lgbtq slurs and why you shouldn’t say them.

1 Like

is it bad that i want lgbtq+ to be taught in catholic schools as well?

1 Like

No, that’s a good idea.

1 Like

As important as it is for people to learn about topics such as pronouns, gender identity, sexuality, etc., third grade is too young in my opinion. They’re just kids :sweat_smile:, in third grade they’re still really young and should be able to just have fun being a kid. I think teaching that early could put a certain pressure on them. Kids should be able to be little kids. I think if the topics of the LGBTQ+ community were to be taught in schools, it should be taught in middle school. In middle school, they’re pre teens and yes, I understand they might not take it as seriously, but at least they’ll be old enough to fully understand. It should most definitely be taught in school, just not to third graders. However, smaller kids do take in information very well and because they’re so young, personally I’ve noticed that it’s easier for them to be accepting. But I still think that’s a huge topic to discuss with a child. Despite what I said, you brought up some really great points and I agree with everything else!

2 Likes

Not at all! It’s an important topic for all kids to learn, for themselves and others.

2 Likes

one hundred percent

I’m not against it. It’s like learning about another culture. Kids nowadays need to get out of that conservative mindset and open their eyes to new possibilities.

duh

Ok i put it all in a summary cus it got rlllllllly long - but this is my opinion

Summary

this is tricky, because what do you mean by LGBTQ+?
Do you mean that an in depth definition of every sexuality and gender? Because that would be impossible.

However, I definitely think that it shouldn’t be avoided in schools. When learning about family structures, show gay/poly parents to the same extent as straight ones. Don’t point them out or call them different - that creates a sense in the child’s mind that they are, which they aren’t.
We should teach it in a casual sense, so to speak.
When learning about gender, don’t just specify male and female. Say non binary too, and when asked questions by the kids, explain it, as well as some labels.
Kids should be introduced to basic information about trans people from a young age - even if it’s something as simple as, ‘your gender is how you feel, not what everyone calls you’.

In essence, especially for young kids, LGBTQ+ information shouldn’t be taught just because it’s LGBTQ+. It should be taught mixed in and alongside all the ‘normal’ family and relationship things, the way that it works in real life.

High school children would be able to learn more in depth - about hormones and how to transition safely, about safe s-x between couples of any amount and gender, taught alongside the ‘normal’ s-x education. They would be taught our history the same way as they would be taught about past leaders and events, and teachers should DEFINITELY stop using extremely gendered language.

Currently kids are still taught that boys wear blue and girls wear pink, and that’s it - this is the kind of thing that needs to change.
the one time my biology teacher mentioned trans people, he described them as tw - transphobia boys who like to dress up as girls and girls who like to dress up as boys - they don’t actually change gender cus it’s 'impossible.
This guy teaches A-level biology by the way

Teaching about lgbtq+ identities should definitely not be separated into a completely different subject or something stupid like that, as it just alienates us and brands us as different. Mix it in and remind people that we’re normal, for god’s sake.

honestly though, says who? My six year old brother understands gay people perfectly, and it’s made him happier to know that it’s ok if he wants to marry his best friend.
of course we all know this is a kid’s thing, every little kid wants to marry their friends, but isn’t it better that he knows it’s ok?
Learning about LGBTQ+ doesn’t have to be hugely sexual. I’m asexual myself. Little kids understand this kind of thing just fine

1 Like

Ahh dude I made the comment months ago so tbh I don’t even remember half the discussion lol. That’s a compelling argument ya got there, though, I was honestly only stating my opinion. Kids are smart, yea, they understand stuff, yea. Just sayin kids don’t necessarily need to have such huge discussions at really young ages. Personally I wouldn’t bother explaining my sexuality to my younger family members that are still small kids. Not completely opposed to it or anything but I mean people can do what they feel is right haha

1 Like