Should Primary schools teach about LGBTQ+?

It was completely different where I live :eyes::sparkles::sweat_smile:
Our teacher just read the text from the school book with us and showed us some drawings and that’s it :eyes::sparkles::sweat_smile:
We only learned more things when we got older :eyes::sparkles::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

We didn’t even get that :joy:

3 Likes

I had quite a thorough sex Ed tbh now I think about it, but seeing as lgbtq wasn’t even mentioned it was disappointing.

Where I am people are always like “that’s so gay” if your like singing or dancing or something. Smh

6 Likes

It was a big topic in our 8th grade class and one person used it as a chance to tell us they’re transgender :eyes::sparkles:
It was actually good in my opinion that we only covered this topic so late, because we were all mature enough for it :eyes::sparkles:

4 Likes

Yeha, I agree with that. I think the puberty teaching should be around 10 years old, sex at 13/14

2 Likes

I think it could. Young children are the most impressionable, so in my opinion, if we taught young children at least the basics of sexuality/gender identity when they’re in like grade 4 or 5, they might not mature with homophobic ideals.

5 Likes

I really dont know. Teaching 3rd-7th graders, I’ve never talked about relationships much at all. I try to keep them away from distracting my classes as much as I can.

Although, I was playing the board game LIFE two days ago and one 8 yr old girl asked me if she had to marry a boy or if she could marry a girl, and I said that’s up to her.
I think it should be treated as normal and I guess in sex ed should be mentioned.

I understand why it may be mentioned less in sex ed if they’re focusing on pregnancy, but if talking about STDs then you can get one from whoever ur sexual with.

4 Likes

I believe they should teach in the later grades in elementary school, because why not know about the LGBTQ community? Many students might feel attraction to the same gender and feel weird about it so there have to be infortmative talks at school.

4 Likes

My life game was interesting tho. One girl said she was marrying a girl. Another girl said what!? No! And another girl said oh! I wanna marry a girl too! Then she did for a minute, then switched it out for a boy a minute later.

Last year I had a 10 yr old girl raise her hand and say, “My dad said you can only be a Boy or A Girl, and that’s it!” I was a little caught off guard and didnt know what to say, so I was like, I see… we werent even talking about that stuff. So I see it’s on their minds that young.

3 Likes

I think that it should definitely be taught in schools, but as much as you would talk about couples in general. Like if they’re showing pictures of couples, having LGBTQ couples too. Just so that it feels more normal for kids as they get older.

3 Likes

Do you guys think your approach towards LGBT+ would be different if you had been taught it as a child?

6 Likes

I think maybe a little. Like, as a pansexual person, I felt like my attraction to my gender and NB people was so taboo. I hid it for ages and turned it into a big deal when it really wasn’t. If I’d been taught from an earlier age, I think it would have made the whole topic seem normal to me, rather than silly giggles and stuff

7 Likes

Well I was taught about the existence of LGBT people from very young and given a basic rundown that’s more than suitable for kids - you know. Some men fall in love with men, some don’t care, etc. etc. and most importantly that it’s normal and guess what?

I was able to come out comfortably at 16 and I’ve been very progressive in my LGBT views for almost a decade because of that normalisation. I am living proof that it’s a good idea, lol

5 Likes

Also, can I just say that the only way teaching people about LGBTQ+ would “influence” them is if they were secretly LGBTQ+ the whole time?

Like, my dad used to be kinda homophobic. One day, I asked him “did learning that gay people exist make you want to sleep with a man?” He was like “wtf no”. Point proven.

If you think homosexuality is a choice, odds are you’re bisexual :wink:

7 Likes

Pan gang rise up \o/

4 Likes

I hate when people say “it’s your choice to act on those urges” because why wouldn’t I? It’s who I am. If I wanna date a girl then I will. I just wish I had been taught about it more in Primary school. Obviously my parents told me a bit about it but I bet I would have been more comfortable if I had learned it in Primary school.and

7 Likes

It always perplexes me because often, they’re the same people who say that women need to dress modestly so they don’t tempt men.

Wait, so only heterosexual men can’t control their urges? Everyone else can?!

7 Likes

Not to mention if you had it normalised through media. How many dang kids’ shows have hetero couples in them? Why not have a few gay and lesbian couples too? Also the horrific excuse of it being ‘inappropriate’ is disgusting. People really need to stop making such a big deal over what people do in the bedroom. I don’t immediately see a hetero couple and instantly think about their kinky habits. Why would I do that for non-hetero couples?

6 Likes

Reminds me of the Stephen Fry documentary when he’s like “WHY DO HOMOPHOBES ALWAYS TALK ABOUT BUTTS?”

6 Likes

“They like big butts and they cannot lie…”

2 Likes