Should studying a second language be compulsory?

it does seem like a lot to me
from my own experience, learning more than one language at the same time can lead to a lot of mix-ups (my brain was a mess during the sem i took both French and Ancient Greek lol)
but yeah doing it just for the grade makes sense

agreed!
and while it does seem like a different topic, i think it may be the heart of this topic as well?
having something (anything) be compulsory won’t work as intended until schools and the education system in general adapt better to students’ needs and differences

yEAH SAME

1 Like

I took this in high school, and loved it. Probably because I’m part German myself. It’s so fun.

1 Like

I’m learning Czech too.

1 Like

To be fair, we start english in 1st grade and then another language in 6th, so by then most people would know some English because it’s so widespread
But if I had to learn two other languages, like for example spanish and italian at the same time, it would be very confusing

Trueee, but I don’t think they care so far

I didn’t choose german but I do agree it’s fun (gendered nouns aside)! Then again I like learning languages

1 Like

oooh okay yeah, that makes more sense
i still think making two foreign languages compulsory is a lot tho kadbvhf
and yeah, i can confirm ;-; it’s v confusing

yeah, sadly

1 Like

True, I’m not sure why I’d need german unless in specific situations. It is fun to learn new languages, but it’s useless for most people

1 Like

Me, a non binary: screaming

1 Like

yeah, that’s exactly it
i had to learn Ancient Greek because a classical language is required for my major, and it does make sense in this case because my program focuses a lot in classics, and being able to, for example, read the original Odyssey, is extremely important for comparative lit when the text you’re comparing is the Odyssey
but this is a very specific example! and it’s one where the fact that it’s compulsory has a reason and an usage
yet, we are taught so many things “just because” in school, it’s frustrating

1 Like

Well there are gender neutral nouns but it’s still weird how a table is considered male

That sounds pretty fun!
And I agree, students should only learn things they’re interested in. There’s no need to waste time on things they don’t like or will forget in a week

1 Like

Yeah, it’s honestly hilarious. Chair too. Der Stuhl.

1 Like

Yeah, even as someone who loves learning languages, I think two mandatory languages is excessive

2 Likes

at that point I’ll start talking like a caveman because I can’t remember the gender. Ich bin in Park

1 Like

You are…uh…

1 Like

technically that is correct (though it’s ‘ins Park’ not ‘in Park’) because prepositions of place often replace articles

2 Likes

sigh

1 Like

I’m kind of torn on this question. At my school, you had to do at least one mfl to gcse level (16), and I chose Spanish. I’m glad I was exposed to it, and I think in learning a new language you have to break down your native language and reconstruct it in a way that has made me understand it better than before.

On the other hand, being forced to learn a language for so long made me hate it. Now I’m a little more free, and have a choice in the matter, I’ve actually picked Spanish up again, after thinking I would never try to learn a language of my own volition, and am really getting into it (although I’m still very much a beginner).

I have a habit of getting really into things that are in no way adjacent to any of my courses, and I think this is in large part due to, in not being forced, my interest being allowed to pace itself and to grow. Now I’m learning because I want to learn and not because I have to pass an exam I didn’t want to do in the first place.

But! I will admit already having a little knowledge to build upon has helped me greatly, and I’m glad I had it. I’m actually not sure if I would have gained an interest in language had I not been forced to do it, and to have gained the very little understanding/vocabulary that I did, which it why I’m conflicted.

Very separately to rest of post, it’s also worth talking about cases like my sibling, who has learning difficulties that specifically make it difficult for them to learn new languages, and for whom having to do languages for so long had a negative impact on their self esteem. Despite this, the school still made them do a shorter language course that mainly distracted them from their other subjects and added a great deal of stress.

There were a couple of people in my class in similar situations, and despite them literally crying from frustration on the few occasions they did show up to lessons, the school still made them finish the full course, knowing that they would in all likelihood fail.

2 Likes

Yeah the caveman speech referred to using ‘in’ instead of ‘in das’, but it wasn’t too clear

1 Like

I’m a little late to the topic but it’s something I’ve been meaning to talk about, so I’m going to try to. I honestly think that studying a second language should be compulsory. My only issues (and by extension some of the issues brought up in the thread already) are gripes I have with education systems in general, but as far as language learning itself goes, I see absolutely no reason why studying a second language shouldn’t be mandated in schools or other educational settings.

I’m multilingual myself, out of necessity (spoke two languages at home and with friends, had to learn the language of the country I lived in at school) and choice (had to take another different language class at school and was the only kid who paid attention to it, and am now learning three more languages by choice), but even if I didn’t speak or wasn’t learning so many languages, I’d hold the same stance on this. I think learning a second language is critical to be able to understand other people, not just literally in terms of speech, but being able to understand people from different cultures as a whole.

Too often have I encountered monolinguals with an extremely close-minded view of the world stemming at least in part from the fact that they’ve only ever been exposed to their own language and therefore only thinking in terms of their own language and culture. They seem completely unable to grasp concepts of different cultures, and don’t even get me started on how people are always so ready to make fun of words in other languages that sound funny in their own, or those who see people who speak with accents as lesser. Very few monolinguals can grasp that someone is speaking a language that’s unfamiliar to them and they’re trying their best but their mouths are accustomed to their own language and therefore without years of practice that language will seep through. Every language has its own unique features, from phonemes to intonation and stress patterns, and mastering several is no easy task. Yet, monolinguals (not just English-speakers but monolinguals in any language I’ve encountered personally) seem to have this strong insistence that if you’re going to speak a language, you should do it flawlessly or not at all, because I speak this language so surely it’s not that hard. Maybe try learning another language yourself, yeah? Then we’ll talk.

But that bitterness aside, I mentioned understanding different cultures, and I really stand by that. Every language is a product of the culture it comes from, and the two are inseparably intertwined. By learning languages other than your native one, you already start to gain a better understanding of different cultures, and imo find it easier to understand people who are different from you. And that’s important! Things that may seem polite in one language and culture are rude in another, and many monolinguals don’t grasp that social rules are not universal and vary heavily by what language you’re speaking in. Admittedly, I’m a little bit of that in the opposite direction: I’m very aware that different languages have different rules on politeness etc, but I’m appalled at English’s lack of a formal register, because what do you MEAN I have to address my superiors in the same way as I do my peers? Obviously, I still do it, because I understand that in English that culture of respect just doesn’t exist in the same way as in my languages. It’s a product of a culture very different to my own, and the structure and vocabulary etc of the language show just that. Things like idioms and metaphors are further proof of that in every language.

So yes, I do think studying a second language should be compulsory in schools. I think everyone should be required to try and think in ways unfamiliar to them, in languages they start out unfamiliar with, at the very least to be able to try and understand other people and their cultures, traditions, and more. To only speak one language severely limits your world experience imo, and often brings about this sort of… ‘need’ to have a lingua franca in people? I think (and I may be wrong) this is particularly bad among English-speaking monolinguals, who often insist that everyone should speak or learn English, that it is or should be a ‘global language’ when… obviously, the numbers show otherwise.

My only issue is, like I said, with the education system. While I do think everyone should be required to study a second language, I think grading it heavily takes away from the experience. You could argue that not being graded will lead students to slack off and not study at all (which is what happened when I was in middle school as the only kid paying attention to our ungraded foreign language class), but I think if the language is taught in a way that’s engaging enough, that can be resolved at least a little. If kids don’t want to learn at all, that’s their loss, but just sitting in the classroom will have some sort of effect on them. Something or the other will have to rub off! I’m just strongly against grading things like language learning bc like some others have mentioned, it puts unnecessary pressure on being able to produce quantifiable, desired results, and takes away from actually learning the languages.

I think it’s critically important to study and learn languages. What I don’t support is modern education systems and the intense focus on grades over learning. So I guess in the end, my stance is that even if not mandated in schools, everyone should be required to learn a second language by some means, be it talking to a native speaker, taking lessons independently from school, or anything else. Obviously like some people have said, there are people who cannot handle learning multiple languages due to intellectual disabilities or other reasons, and that’s perfectly okay. If you can, though, I think there’s absolutely no reason to be a monolingual with zero grasp of any other language. Even if it’s so much as knowing how to say “hello,” “goodbye,” and “thank you,” I think people need to learn more languages than one.

5 Likes

Im going to say no. Because the struggle and lack of support and choice affected my mental health badly

Okay then allow me to propose a reason. Some people don’t want to and having it forced on them isn’t going to make them want it more. I think having a special week in the school year to introduce people to other languages would be more than enough to help them decide if these are languages they want to persue further than that basic lesson.

It’s not ignorant to simply not want to devote time and energy to something you aren’t interested in. You also do not need to learn the language of a country to be able to appericiate and learn about the cultures.

You can also teach monolinguals the intricacies you mentioned of how if you only know one language then you probably don’t understand how hard it is to learn your language or how much somebodies mouth is going to be used to their own language, you can teach them this understanding without making them take classes for years on another language entirely. If anything, this poses the risk of them hating that language, hating the classes, taking nothing in of any value and remaining as ignorant on the culture as when they started.

This wouldn’t be the case for everybody, I’m sure there are people who would be really happy to have the oppurtunity to learn and the class being mandatory would be like water off a ducks back. I also won’t deny potential benefits but I’m not sure if they would outweigh the costs.

Now yes, I do think that studying other languages is cool, but it’s also time/energy consuming and I’m not going to vote for anything with such a large commitment to be mandatory.

And no, it isn’t fair that language purists exist who insist on speaking every language “properly”. Most native speakers have their own forms of slang and grammatical liberties, you can argue against that purity without the solution to the problem being that everybody should study another language.

1 Like