Should trans athletes be permitted to participate in professional sports with the gender they identify with?

In recent years, the conversation about trans athletes has become more and more prominent. Some argue that transgender athletes should have to compete with the gender they were assigned at birth and others say that they should be allowed to compete with the gender they identify as. What do you think? Should trans athletes be permitted to participate in professional sports with the gender they identify as? Why or why not?

@Debaters

2 Likes

Personally I always just thought that like

The way it’s divided up should be changed

There are some sports where I don’t see it making a difference if men and women (or nonbinary folks) compete together, infact I don’t see a problem with that being the case with any sport if it gets divided by actual ability and not just men fast and strong.

Take running for example
If a mans best time and a womans best time are the same or at least in the same area I see no reason why they shouldn’t be able to compete.

Following this logic trans athletes wouldn’t need to be put under such scrutiny because it’d be split by ability instead of gender.

1 Like

Why not? That’s only fair, no?

1 Like

Pretty complicated in my opinion. Like I totally believe that trans rights should be respected, and being able to sport and join competitions as the gender they are is one of those rights. Forcing trans people to participate as their birth gender can be devastating for mental health and that should never happen. In no circumstances whatsoever. The reality is that in not all sports that would be fair to allow trans people to join, in athletics or speed skating for example the male times are significantly faster than the female times leading to advantages for trans females. Definitely for sports where this difference isn’t significant it shouldn’t even be a question and trans people should be permitted without any problems. But tbh, I am not sure how to deal with sports where it would give relativly huge advantages. My personal believes are trans people should totally be allowed to join even in those cases, but it’s not as easy as that…

Yes yes yes. Just let them flippin’ participate. Olympics, too. Mixed locker rooms/showers with time schedules and supervision. Voila!

2 Likes

I read more into the topic and I feel like this needs to be said, trans people have been allowed to compete in the correct categories of their gender in certain states for a long time. People try to claim that trans women are trying to dominate womens sports but if they’ve been allowed to compete for a while, how come if you ask the average person to name a trans athlete who won something they just couldn’t do it?

Also a lot of people seem to only really care when trans people are involved which really just shows this links back to transphobia.

Trans women are women
Trans men are men

They should be allowed to compete with the genders they are.

Also apparently the hormone treatment balances out any kind of “advantages” a trans person who has recieved them may have in an athletic sense.

Obviously the issue people have of only accepting trans people who are far along in their transitions is an issue which makes this topic far less black and white than people think.

Added a gender tag