Should university/college be completely free?

This has been a very important debate in recent years. As the prices for post-secondary education go up, less and less people are able to afford it. Meaning that less people go to college. Less opportunities for employment. Higher unemployment rates. It’s a domino effect.

The critical question: should college truly be free for all?

8 Likes

Yes! If school is free, why can’t college?

5 Likes

I think it’s not free because by the time you finish high school/ college you have enough qualifications to get a job so you don’t actually need further education
Unless you want to do a certain profession which you need to go to uni for I think that’s why it’s not free
I don’t think it should be completely free but it shouldn’t be as expensive as it is

4 Likes

Yeah I agree

It’s far too expensive as it is but I don’t think it should be completely free because of the amount of resources it takes to teach certain subjects at that level. Money is needed for that stuff.

6 Likes

I think it should be totally free. I mean i didn’t know i have to pay to learn and get a job.

6 Likes

I think it should be mostly free for sure.

In Scotland you do get a certain amount of years of free college education. I think it’s 5??

2 Likes

It shouldn’t be free. They need to pay the teachers and pay for the resources. Like- how do they get good teachers and good resources if they don’t have the money to do so?

2 Likes

I think it’s the main reason why people don’t go to college/university.
I don’t think it should be completely free because how else are they gonna pay for their resources?
But it shouldn’t be so expensive people actually start questioning if they should go or not.

Hmmm, maybe they could have different pays for different students? Depending on how much money you get, you could have to pay a small amount or larger.

WAIT NO CRAPPY IDEA, SCRATCH THAT :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It should be free, but only for a limited amount of time…
Like if the minimal study duration (aka the time you need if you never fail a class) is 4 years, those first 4 years of university should be free and after that you have to pay a small sum for every additional year you need :eyes::sparkles:
Or maybe you only pay an amount that is set by how much you scored on a test… Like if you get 96%, you only pay for 4% and if you get 72% you pay for the remaining 28% :eyes::sparkles:

3 Likes

Mmm, but not everyone can pay 25-50,000 dollars per year to go upstate. Not everyone has the money/status/connections to go to an Ivy League school either, resulting in a class and economic gap.

You make a great point though.

1 Like

That’s smart… but difficult too… what if they don’t have the resources or programs to study?

2 Likes

I mean, I don’t want college to be THAT expensive, but it should not be completely free!

2 Likes

Then they could apply for a free help system maybe?

Or maybe they could do some voluntary work and get the resources for their education by doing it :eyes::sparkles::thinking:

2 Likes

Good point. There has to be a way for college to be affordable while both the students and instructors benefit.

2 Likes

Maybe. There are programs that do that without having to pay… do you mean non-profit organisations?

2 Likes

I wish college/university didn’t cost about ₪ 10,000 - ₪ 12,000 for one year :expressionless::disappointed:

3 Likes

I don’t know, maybe?
It would just have to be fair to the students and they would have to make sure that the students still have enough time to prepare for their exams :eyes::sparkles:

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. What do you suggest the tests be on?

2 Likes

Not sure how much that is in American dollars… that’s a stupid (a lot) amount though.

1 Like

The knowledge you should have to study the subject you want to study?
Or maybe it gets based on the tests on the end of each semester? :eyes::sparkles::sweat_smile:

2 Likes