Should voting be mandatory?

I think that voting is incredibly important in democratic environments, although I don’t know a whole lot about whether or not voting should be mandatory. Voting is an important part of society, but not everyone always can or wants to vote.

@Discussions ~ what do you think about this issue? :eyes:

8 Likes

No, mandatory voting would just build more resentment towards the government. As a lot of the none voters either purposely don’t want to vote or don’t have time the to do so.

Requiring everyone to vote will also lead towards more uninformed people voting on policies and-or people they barely know anything about. The people who usually do go to the voting booth know atleast a little bit about our current political climate. To know what they are actually voting for.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree.

Also in some religions, it is not allowed to vote…

3 Likes

I don’t think it should be illegal to not vote, but I do think it’s super important to emphasize how valuable it is to vote

2 Likes

Wow, really?

1 Like

Yes, my great-grandmas religion is “Jehovah’s Witnesses” and she couldn’t vote, nor could she celebrate birthdays.

1 Like

Ugh. I’ve only heard bad things about them. No offense. I’m sure JW’s are very nice, I just…why?

1 Like

Why can’t certain religions vote? :eyes:

1 Like

I actually have no idea…

I haven’t really investigated, I just know there are a few where you can’t, if you research about it be sure to tell me I’d love to know :heartpulse:

1 Like

nah, not really

it is important tho

Voting is important, but I don’t think it should be mandatory. Forcing people to make a decision is probably not the best way

1 Like

Voting is what makes you a part of the country, but it shouldn’t be mandatory where one will be punished if they choose not to vote. Forcing people to vote would be the opposite of a democracy because you’d be taking away the choice of people to choose not to vote. If you force people to vote when they don’t want to, it would be going against the values of a free country and people would be more resentful. However, it is important to emphasize the importance of voting. Voting is important because you’re choosing how the face of the future for your country will be.
It’s better off to highlight why it’s important so people understand instead of forcing people to vote

1 Like

I feel like it’s not a true democracy unless everybody votes but at the same time how would you enforce voting

Closed due to inactivity