Slave traders have things named after them?

There are streets around the world named after people who owned many plantations full of slaves. It’s almost like they are being honoured or some sh!t. It’s wrong in so many ways…

… but at the same time I understand the argument that said people were famous for other reasons, and that it’s a way of remembering history. But I’d we want to remember?

Share your views

3 Likes

They shouldn’t be remembered. :purple_heart: :butterfly:
I said what I meant and I meant what I said.

4 Likes

That’s disrespectful and very cruel to the slaves.

Juneteenth should be a national holiday, and that’s that.

4 Likes

Definitely

1 Like

This is disrespectful, people like this shouldn’t be remembered or honoured. :white_heart:

3 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

If a pub can be renamed because it was named after Jack the Ripper then street names can be changed too, the maps would need to be updated and that’s it.

3 Likes

Do I think slave traders should be remembered? For sure. Do I think they should be venerated? Definitely not.

This is my thing with protesting confederate statues. You don’t need a statue to remember a historical figure, so why are you so obsessed with people keeping statues of racists up?

6 Likes

Because they want their message to continue to stand. ‘We see nothing wrong with black people being slaves and stand with what these generals fought for’. They want to make it very clear to everyone that black people are not welcome, equal, or human in their eyes.

Pretty simple

5 Likes

“sTaTeS’ rIgHtS”

Sure. States’ rights to do what, though? :thinking:

4 Likes

Name the streets after the slaves on the plantations.

3 Likes

Also what rights do States have? What? Who cares about a state? I care about people

4 Likes

I mean we have Presidents Day, Columbus Day… most of these people owned slaves. I refuse to partake in these “holidays”

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity :heart: