Some concerns relating posts getting deleted

Be aware what I am sharing below might be triggering for some, and it contains eating disorders. That’s why I will be hiding parts of it.
What happened is yesterday a bunch of posts from multiple people got removed, the only ones with that power are @admins. It is highly unprofessional and abusive of admin powers to just go and delete a bunch of posts without any communicating relating this. If maybe it would have been communicated instead of just removing it I would not have been as upset, but it’s really just wrong in multiple ways.
I need to speak up about this, as I really do believe this to absolutely not be okay at all.

For context, it was a hidden message with a disclaimer as above this post, touching upon eating disorders. I simply said something triggered my eating disorder, nothing detailed nothing that is inappropriate in any way. It feels like eating desires are being made a taboo to talk about, something that should never ever be a taboo in the first place. As long as people take precautions such as spoilering and warning people should be able to share such things, I feel it is absolutely ridiculous to just go ahead and remove those posts. Even if people share it without spoilering, I still feel deleting it is far from the right direction.

This just is abusing powers, and blocking certain topics when there really is no need for that, and yes, it does highly offend me those posts have been removed. I do not see a single reason why they should have ever been removed. I am picking this way for dealing with the issue as I feel this requires transparency, and people deserve to be aware of what happened, as it did not only include my posts that got removed, those of others too.

3 Likes

Uh… haven’t heard of this happening from anyone in PM or otherwise. Perhaps a PM could have been sent to admin concerning the problem rather than posting here. If we didn’t get back to you, then I can see why you’re posting here, although I don’t think anyone has messaged about it. (puzzled)

3 Likes

I mean, I already explained my reasons for choosing to do it here Cali, and I still stand behind my reasons and decision to handle it this way. Like I said this seems to be a problem that happened in a public place and posts of more than one person were deleted without explanation. I therefore feel it’s only fair to want a public explanation of what happened and why. So if you would just go into the actual content of my first post here, I would appreciate that!

1 Like

Also I feel as community we should be able to trust that there is no abuse of power or random censoring of topics like these. If posts get just deleted without communication, that is what happens. So, I just am concerned whether this may happen again or not.

2 Likes

Well, as far as I’m aware, Cam hasn’t been active in quite a while, whereas Kate and I have been really busy with work and life - both struggling to post recreationally, let alone forum work and such. Although I have sent message to check anyway.
My guess is it’s an internal issue, which can be looked at. So having more detail on such would be great for us to know where and when this started happening, to know where to look.

2 Likes

Interesting, it’s oddly specific for something technical but I guess that could be the case, I can’t quote the specific post but I believe it’s around here:

2 Likes

Yeah, it is, I agree, but I really don’t know what it could be.
Thanks for that. Had a quick scroll now and can’t see any of those “hidden deleted posts” markers that admin/mods can see. But am about to head into work, so will have a more thorough look on my break or after work. Then after work I can look at settings and stuff, as well as the droplet. Although if it is the droplet, it may have to wait until the weekend to talk to someone. I’m just worried that what we did months ago (when the forum was have those issues) has something to do with it. Since it involved permanently deleting really old deleted posts…

3 Likes

i get your frustrations though jass, especially with some of the old admins :/ could it have been that your internet was on the fritz? i’ve sometimes also gotten ‘ghost posts’ that show up for me, but not other people, and disappear after a bit

2 Likes

Ghost posts?
Has this been recent?

1 Like

Well, I hope we stay updated on what the cause of this is if you manage to figure this out. And I just wanted to apologise Cali for assuming they had been removed by an admin and coming off a bit too strong cause of that here!

2 Likes

nah, it’s always happened on different disboard sites when i try to post with unstable internet, i don’t think it’s anything with drippingquills in particular

1 Like

Hope you don’t mean me! I had a very public breakdown on the forums that shouldn’t have happened but even at my worst, I never deleted other people’s posts without a clear, articulated reason or even read other people’s messages. I messed up a lot, but censorship or shadiness like that was something I wasn’t guilty of.

Just clearing things up. Wasn’t perfect, but I don’t think I was bad enough to be brought up as if this is something I’d do

3 Likes

I’m not officially an admin anymore so I dunno why I’m still getting these tags, but I wanna say I support your decision to be open with this.

I think that the thing that made these forums initially good was the transparency. It’s fair enough for you to want that publicly. It’s much harder for people to ignore you or cover up issues when you do.

I’m glad it wasn’t anything shady, though. I doubt any of the mods would do anything like that anyway. It likely was just a glitch or something — sometimes the strangest glitches can happen with forums like this.

It’s still good to be public with these concerns, though, and see the leadership team answer them in a transparent way.

3 Likes

I appreciate your words Shani, and I think you’re right. If this wasn’t just a glitch I feel it was serious enough to warrant a public discussion on it, cause people should feel like this is a safe space where they get treated fairly. Open communication is essential to create such an environment. That said though, I do acknowledge that maybe I should have considered it to be a technical issue from the start and that’s my bad for overlooking that as a possibility.

1 Like

Hey everyone. Yeah o haven’t been on in awhile and I truly am so sorry. I’ve been dealing a lot with my job and it’s toxicity and finally ended up quitting and putting in my 2 weeks last week and found out that tomorrow will officially be my last day of work. This has been the first time in awhile I’ve been on so I haven’t removed anything. I appreciate Cali looking into this and I do sincerely apologize for being MIA. Also i promise if Cali and I did do something along those lines we would only people know ahead or sent messages.

2 Likes

Thanks for the apology, Jas, although you’re totally fine. I get why you’d jump to that conclusion and understand, so yeah.

I am sorry that it has taken me this long to post and respond, but my mind has been quite consumed with grief this past week. I lost my grandfather and am in the process of organising the things associated with his death. I am good now, just a little busy.

Anyway, in terms of the issue, we (myself and my tech guru) did look into it the previous weekend and I’m pretty sure we fixed the issue. As it seemed that @/system had been deleting quite a few posts that weren’t linked to flags/messages about spam accounts/posts.

2 Likes

I am sorry for your loss Cali, and it’s totally understandable that you needed some space away from here to focus on that and grief!

Thanks for looking into the issue, I hope that it solved the issue and something like this won’t be happening again!

3 Likes

Thanks Jas, I’m all good now. Just been having a real busy couple of weeks that I’m still catching up on.

Of course. I hope so too and thanks to you for bringing it to my attention. (wink)