Some kind of writer's block?

I hope this is in the right category

I think I’m going through something like writer’s block. I’ve always written stories since I was a child, but every time I wanted to write a longer story, I either stopped after one or two chapters or I made a sudden ending. Almost a year ago I started writing on Episode because I thought the directing and the reactions of readers might make me finish a story. At first, it really helped, I was motivated and wrote 17 episodes without even thinking about stopping. But after that, I got “lazy” and I got some bad fanmail and now I haven’t updated my story for about 3 months.
I thought that maybe the directing was too annoying for me, so I wanted to write on Wattpad because you can still get feedback from others and just write a story without having to think about directing. Well, I didn’t even publish my story on there. The problem is that I wanted to write in English so hopefully many people understand it, but my first language isn’t English, so sometimes I have to write what I CAN write and not what I WANT to write.

Now I have so many stories but none of them is finished and I don’t even know why I don’t keep writing some of them. Is this some kind of writer’s block? Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any helpful tricks?

6 Likes

Yeah, this sounds like writer’s block to me, just a certain kind? Like a lot of people really enjoy setting up and starting off a whole bunch of stories but can’t summon the energy to finish any of them or write much more than a few chapters. It’s normal, honestly, writing is hard. You may need to just buckle down and get some down. Or set a routine for writing, try some exercises to help, etc. I know ShanniiWrites has a post on her blog about Writer’s Block, that may be able to help!

Also, yeah, this is the right section

2 Likes

Thanks, already had a look at that! :upside_down_face:

I have the whole story in my head, I just have to write it down and I don’t understand why I don’t do it. I don’t feel like writing is really hard but I always find a reason for not continuing a story.

3 Likes

Oooh, nice. Well, that’s a different but still nasty form of writer’s block. Writer’s apathy I guess? I’ve kinda had it, where I get tired of writing a particular story after a while. I just force myself back into it generally, but I wouldn’t recommend that xD

3 Likes
3 Likes

Actually I can relate! It might seem shocking now that I’m a qualified English teacher and English Language and Literature tutor, but English isn’t my first language. One of the biggest things that got to me when I was younger was the idioms. That and also trying to say things in a natural way.

I hate not being able to think of a way to say what I want. The best advice I can give for that side of things is to read. Read professional books, not just Episode or Wattpad stories. Write down any phrase you like to keep note of it. It will help!

2 Likes

Exactly! It’s so annoying to always look up phrases or thinking about grammar for an eternity.
And I really read a lot (I have to, university gives me only English books) and I understand most of it. What I don’t get are those tiny differences of synonyms. E.g in my frist language it’s totally clear for me which words have more positive associations and which have more negative ones, but in English I never understand that.

But thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity