Stage Makeup Thread

If you’ve ever performed in a theatre production, you’ve probably encountered stage makeup at some point. Stage makeup is used help bring the characters to life in a production through contouring and colour choices. So, what makes stage makeup different from regular makeup? Makeup meant for the stage is usually heavier than regular makeup and more pigmented, so that the audience is able to see it from where they’re sitting. You also have to be conscious of the lighting and how the lighting will affect how your audience sees you. For example, because I’m really pale, I wear foundation two shades darker than my natural skin tone so the lights don’t wash me out.

Some examples of stage makeup:

Some stage makeup is also elaborate and character-related, like this look from Cats:

Have you ever worn stage makeup? If you haven’t, do you have any questions for those who have?

4 Likes

Yes! I do theater and so I’ve worn stage makeup a lot.

Stage makeup is always done super heavily, tends to avoid things that are too shiny, and really emphasizes all of your features to stop them from getting washed out on stage.

It takes a lot of time and looks ridiculous in person, but it works well under stage lights!

2 Likes

Omg, they look so cool!

Yes I do.

How long does it take you to apply it?

2 Likes

Oooh that’s an interesting question :eyes:

In professional shows, there are some really elaborate makeup looks that can take over an hour to put on by people who do makeup professionally. When I do my own stage makeup, I usually do it fairly simply because I’m not very good at applying it and that takes around half an hour.

1 Like

Stage makeup looks really cool! I believe it’s meant to be dramatic and eccentric. I’d love experimenting with it some time soon.

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity