Stories with mature characters

Has anyone noticed this is really hard to find? I’m in my late 50s, so all I write is characters 30+ (with some younger, but they are not main characters) and that is what I am interested in reading. But it seems that 99% of stories are with high school or young adult characters. Not that there’s anything wrong w/ writing those, it just seems so off balanced.

1 Like

Yup, I’ve realized also.
I think it’s because the majority of people on these writing platforms are young adults in their mid 20’s and I guess it’s normal for them to write stories like that. Just saying.

1 Like

Makes sense, but I wonder why mature people don’t write?

1 Like

In my opinion, they may feel like it might not get that much attention. :thinking:
But the only way to know that is if someone actually tries to write one.

2 Likes

Some of my stories have mature characters. Not as main characters, but major characters.

1 Like

Although the main-main characters in my stories are in their mid-twenties, there are many mature characters who have a relevant role in the story.

In Diary of a Middle School Teacher, Sofía, Armando, Lorena, and Maximiliano, who are all in their fifties, are key characters. Sofía is Mia’s mom, Armando is Mía’s uncle, and Lorena and Max are Mariano’s parents.

In Miss Understood, the story revolves around working adults. The MC’s aunt and uncle are important to the story, and the main antagonist is the principal of the school where our main character works. She’s in her 50s.

2 Likes

I noticed this as well, at least with stories published online. But I feel more confident about writing young adult characters than about writing mature characters. I don’t really know why, maybe just because I know more about the phase in a person’s life.
However, in traditionally published stories, I think it’s a bit more balanced. But definitely not totally balanced.

Closed due to inactivity