Stories With Prologue

So, let’s talk about stories that have prologue. Do you like prologue? Long or shot or depending on author? What SHOULD YOU NOT DO when your writing a prologue in your story. What should you DO when your writing a prologue?

7 Likes

for me, I will be having a prologue in my story. Nothing too long but just a bit brief so the reader can find out more further in the story.

3 Likes

Just did a research and here’s what i got:
A prologue is usually optional, since it gives extra information to the story.

A prologue prepares the reader for the story they’re about to read with information that is necessary to have before the start of the story itself so with a prologue, you can give a glimpse into the origins of your story. Things don’t have to be well explained because hopefully you will explain the significance behind it as the story progresses.
A prologue is not a place where you spit the entire character’s backstory in a chapter.
Usually, a prologue can be short but it’s your choice to make it long, but not too long.

I know this is confusing, but well…

6 Likes

Nah it isn’t. When your watching a movie and it has a prologue, it’s kind of the same. Preparing the person who watch the movie to find out more on whats going to happen further in the movie.

3 Likes

Yes, something like that, it can even start with a glimpse of the past or future, depends on the plot.

3 Likes

right!

3 Likes

I try to make my prologues about 3-5 pages.

3 Likes

I have a prologue so.

I like 'em

4 Likes

In Episode, it can’t be too long and should be a bit dynamic with backgrounds. I don’t like when it’s on a black screen for like 10 or so taps…

3 Likes

Guys, how many lines do you think a prologue will take up. Depending on directing. Ik tht one.

1 Like

I have a prologue in my one story I’m working on cause I need it to explain the background of their world and why things are forbidden… it helps the reader to jump right into this world you’ve created and understand the characters motives :relieved:

3 Likes

I have something that’s in between a prologue and a cold opening in the story I’m working on right now. Since the story is written like a sitcom where each chapter revolves around a different problem, the first scene kind of hints at what the episode will be about, and immediately after that I put the intro. After the intro, the actual story starts.

2 Likes

I love prologues!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::orange_heart::heart:

Unless they don’t add to the story. Then they’re like plastic plants. Attractive, but useless.

4 Likes

I think they work great for mystery/thriller stories.

2 Likes

My advice: unless they’re important for the story, never add a prologue that’s less dramatic and action-packed than the first chapter. Prologues are a great way to hype up your reader

3 Likes

Personally, i don’t like prologues.

I will be questioning myself
“when will the story begin?”
“Why is the prologue so long!”
“I can’t wait to read the present setting, are you done yet, prologue?”

I would rather add a flashback at the beginning of every chapter than do this.

3 Likes

Bump

1 Like

They’re not all that bad…

1 Like

Do you like stories with prologue or no? Why?

2 Likes

I like prologues because it gives an idea of what to look for in the story. I feel like stories without a prologue just throw the reader right in without any cues as to what is going on. Prologues are important way to bring the readers in since you can capture their attention with what is written in one. It’s good for mysteries novels because you can use the prologue as a glimpse into the crime with out giving away the main details of what happened.

2 Likes