Stories Written Based on an Author's Experiences

I’ve made this same thread on the Episode forums months ago, and I decided to make it on here too because it’s closed on the Episode forums.

I know and read stories where an author basically writes a story about themselves. They are the main character in a sense, but they don’t necessarily name the main character after them; majority of the time it’s a made up name. Some authors do this when they want to share their story or personal experiences they’ve encountered during their life. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it because some readers like reading stories when it is centered around the author.

Do you think an author’s story about their life experience or experiences be the core of their story? ( Basically, do you think their story should just be about their experiences). And, if they don’t write a story about their life experiences, should they still make up a “fake” story so that their experiences are incorporated into the story? When it gets to the point where an author shares everything about their experiences, it shouldn’t be written about because it’s personal. I don’t know, but what do you guys think?

7 Likes

I think that’s fine, especially if they’ve had wild experiences, that’s kinda an autobiography, however, if they want to make it a fictional story they’re gonna have to include a lot of fake elements and a fake name maybe to make it a fictional story.

5 Likes

Unless they’ve got something interesting, harrowing or useful to say, I’m not a fan.

Like if it’s just an author insert going around being bullied at school by the mean girl and finally getting the guy, I can’t take the Mary-Sueness of it. It’s kinda narcissistic

8 Likes

I have a bad experience with this. I once read a story when an author wrote a story about falling in love with her bully :expressionless: what worries me is that she actually fell in love with an effing bully irl… like i-

3 Likes

furtively checks on this thread as she plans to write something based off her life

but I swear it’s kinda interesting!

3 Likes

If the author went through an interesting time in life,
did some actually amazing things. I think it’s completely fine.

Example: Story about a character who starts an organisation to help stop climate change (based off of something the author did).

If the author went through a tough time in life, and wanted to share their story to raise awareness.

Example: Stories about r*pe, harrassment, violence, etc. that are based off of the author’s true experiences.

However, if the author decided to write about something that has no purpose but to gloat about the “remarkale” life of the author, then it’s probably not something people want to read. As well as a boring story about how the author lives a normal, boring life.

Examples:

1. Mary sue MC with author’s real name = author. Storyline: The author goes to high school, then talks about how they became valedictorian, participated in everything, found a useless love interest, saves a poor, useless nerd from a bully and then started a family and won every award in the universe. The author becomes superman/superwoman and saves the world because the author is so powerful and great and everyone loves them.

2. Author wakes up, brushes teeth, goes to the toilet, washes hands, gets dressed, eats breakfast, goes to work, eats lunch, goes to the toilet, forgets to wash their hands, comes home, changes clothes, eats dinner, brushes teeth, showers, changes clothes, goes to sleep.

The worst kind of books based off the authors life: books that are written to insult a person who hurt the author, for the sake of revenge.

Example: A = author, B = person author doesn’t like. Storyline: A is a great, amazing, respected person. Suddenly, the cruel, disgusting B kills someone/attempts to take over the world/makes out with A’s girlfriend/boyfriend/insert anything horrible. A saves the day, and B is put in federal prison/killed/disappears/whatever

7 Likes

I think it’s great it parts of it are inspired by things that happened in the author’s life. For example, my story Diary of a Middle School Teacher is based my experiences as a teacher, where I share some funny moments… but there’s a lot of fictional subplots that came from my own imagination, such as the Armando and Miroslava dynamic. But I definitely wouldn’t like to read a story where the author’s self-insert is a Mary-Sue with a fairytale ending.

4 Likes

I try to include little pieces of my experiences and the things I’ve seen, like racism, greed, race-on-race violence, crime. Most of my stories are 80%-90% fictional.

2 Likes

Bump, have you tried this?

2 Likes

No I really don’t think so because it would be extremely hard to make anyone 3-dimensional- the villain wouldn’t be very developed and the mc would probably come out as a Mary Sue.

4 Likes

Small experiences yes, but never have your experience be the core

3 Likes

Bump~

1 Like

Man, I’m surprised this thread is still open. I haven’t been active on here in months. Thank you guys for keeping this thread open!

Added a discussion tag

Since my story will be based on my experiences such as the main character will obviously be me but of course exaggerated. There will be characters that will be based on people that I know such as friends and enemies.

But I have read memoirs which I sometimes find interesting. I can’t read memoirs that are very traumatic as it can trigger me.

I do the exact same thing in my writing. Many of my characters are based on people I know in real life, and the MC is like me in many ways. In Diary of a Middle School Teacher, the MC is practically me with a different look. In Miss Understood, the MC does have some things in common with me, but she’s also different in many other ways.

2 Likes

Yeah, it sounds easier to write something based on your experiences except change things around. The MC in my story is definitely me but I have slight changes about the main character because in the story, she is biracial whereas I’m not if you see what I mean. I mean most parts of the story are going to be completely exaggerated but there will be one chapter where it would be based on a true event i.e. the Neffex concert and of course the band members of Neffex will be in it hehehe. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What I’ve experience is that people who do this often take critique more personal as well, so I would never do it, or at least not show it to anyone, but I do believe it can create some interesting and very realistic stories.

1 Like

It’s difficult with this imo. A lot of people think they have stories to tell when they really don’t. Do you know how many times I’ve read stories on Episode based on some girl’s day at school? I feel like I’ve wasted so much time and brain space and just ugh.

Other people with actual stories to tell don’t write them down at all

4 Likes

Here’s a question for everyone…

Do your MCs have similar hobbies, likes, and dislikes as you?

I tried to make my MC different than me in personality and upbringing, but I do have her liking the same foods, music, and clothes as me. As for dislikes, I try to keep it balanced… she didn’t like kids at first but later she does, and she doesn’t smoke because she’s allergic. I’m not allergic but I’ve never smoked because I just don’t like it.

2 Likes