Tell About: Your Religion&Culture

Okay, I got it.

1 Like

Ooh fun! Irn bru being bright orange is what I love about it :eyes:

1 Like

Well, at first the “soft” part reminded me Spring, but when I saw the “carbonated” part, I immediatley tought of Kristal :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: (another Israeli drink). I don’t drink carbonated drinks, though :sweat_smile:

If there’s a one that is not carbonated, then I’d like to try it (if I’ll ever find it in the kosher version :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Irn bru tastes like awful syrup :joy:

3 Likes

You can’t.

Seems like we both are on the same boat at this and some points, aren’t we? :grin::blush:

1 Like

Maybe. Our religions are a bit similar.

1 Like

Indeed they are. Christianity, Islam and other Abrahamic religions were strongly influenced by Judaism’s values, texts from the Bible, and traditions.

1 Like

So, that’s why Jews and Muslims are similar at some points.

1 Like

That’s very true.

1 Like

Not much to say/or sure how to answer tht

Christian and Africain Americain female

3 Likes

Are you religious or secular?

Religious

What denomination are you belonging to? And tell me about it.

Ok, here we go.

Ethnically, I’m half Indian and half Jamaican. I’m a British citizen born and raised in London. The same with my parents, actually! So we have more affiliations with the UK than India. My granddad on my dad’s side does live in Jamaica and my great grandparents on my mum’s side live in India.

In terms of religion, I was baptised Catholic because of my Jamaican family, then raised culturally-Hindu-but-mostly-agnostic by my mum and her family. I’ve always been drawn to Christianity, though, so I became a confirmed Catholic 4 years ago now. The process for adults to be confirmed involves more studying than you’d think! Also, I went on a hunt for the religion that was right for me. I spent time reading multiple religious texts and finding out the doctrines of all sorts of religions and religious denominations. So that’s why I know quite a bit about Catholicism and how it differs from other Christian denominations.

My mum is married to an Irish man and so I spend a lot of time in Ireland. I want to move there as soon as I have the money saved to get a nice place! My stepmum from my dad’s side is Hungarian, so I’m trying my best to learn a bit of the language. It’s bloody hard!

My boyfriend @ChaoticDeluge is Scottish and my best friend is from Slovakia.

Combining all of that, I have quite a few cultural influences that play a part in who I am. I love it!

4 Likes

Sounds really interesting and I find it awesome :grin::blush:. By the way, (not trying to be rude) didn’t you mention that you are Roman Catholic? (You only said that you are Catholic). If already, is there a difference between the Catholic church and the Roman Catholic church? Or there’s no difference? (I believe that in the end, there are similar, if not the same one).

2 Likes

When people say they’re Catholic, they usually mean Roman Catholic, though other denominations like Greek Catholic count as long as they see the Pope as the head of the Church and they’re recognised by the Vatican. As such, we’re very similar and we can go to each other’s church services and take the Eucharist (bread and wine/Jesus’s body and blood) very easily. That’s not the same for other Christian denominations. Of course, we’re not barring anyone from coming to our Church, but you’re not supposed to take Communion (bread and wine) at another denomination’s church and you’re not supposed to take Communion in the Catholic Church until you’ve been baptised the Catholic way and had First Holy Communion.

The main difference is that Greek Catholic services are in Greek whereas Roman Catholic ones are in Latin. Though we use the language of the country now! The Greek services are also way longer.

There are some other groups that call themselves Catholics and claim that the Pope is the head of their Church, but the Vatican doesn’t recognise them so they’re not the same.

1 Like

When were you baptised Catholic, if I may ask?

1 Like

Baptised? When I was 6 months old. You usually get baptised as a baby, have first holy communion as a child and then get confirmed as a teenager :grin:

1 Like