Tell About: Your Religion&Culture

Cool. :blush::grin:

1 Like

Bump :blush:

This a nice discussion so–Bump. :relieved:

3 Likes

I actually have no religion, I went to a christian primary school and they had us going to church and reading bible passages etc etc, also in classes there was religious aspects incorporated into lessons and singing hymns at assembly each morning, religious theatre and things. However I always felt like it was kind of forced upon me and many of my classmates, who not only didn’t really understand a lot of it, but didn’t actually believe in it personally.

I have always seen myself as more spiritual than religious, I believe in a higher power, not a God so much as a mystical force, something that is more like the magic and nature and wonders of the world itself.

I have my own values, some of which are common among both religious and non religious people.

6 Likes

The funny thing is I actually felt the same way about this with Hinduism. I was born in the UK and so were my parents, but I spoke broken English until I went to school because my grandparents on my mum’s side primarily raised me. My mum was always at work and I only saw my dad on weekends. So I was just stuck in a religious Hindu household (in particular because I was mixed race and it was seen as a big scandal that my mum had a child with a black man out of wedlock).

Then I went to a normal state school until I was 9. Then they stuck me in an Indian school. Thank god this was in English mainly, but it was really religious!

Me being Christian is actually an act of rebellion

3 Likes

Um. The Latina part of me eat buenelos for breakfest. It’s a traditional Mexican treat I love.

3 Likes

Bump! I’m interested in finding out about other people’s cultures and religions!

3 Likes

Thank you for bumping :blush:

Jollof is huge in my culture.

2 Likes

Omdsssssss I luvvvv jollof riceeeee #GhanaGanggg.

:drooling_face:

3 Likes

I love jollof rice too! So good with nama (chicken in Hausa)

2 Likes

cries

I love that so much. Ghanian or Nigerian? Unless you of course don’t want to start a war lol

3 Likes

Both, but mostly Ghanaian

1 Like

bump

I think this is a lovely thread so I’ll bump it by sharing a little myself. I’m not religious so I don’t have much to say there but I am Swedish. Not sure there’s much to say there either but I’ll try my best in case anyone plan on having a Swedish character in their story! We Swedes are, as the stereotype say, extremely closed off. We stand about 5 meters away from each other while waiting on the bus and don’t make new relations too easily I guess. I think most people think that Swedes are blond with blue eyes, which really isn’t true. Sure a lot of us have blond hair as children but we really come with all different hair and eye colors, me myself have dark brown hair and black eyes. In Sweden we eat strange food… we have pickled herring (inlagd sill) and small dumpling like things with blood in them (palt)… and more pickled fish. We celebrate Christmas, Easter, midsummer and valborg. Valborg takes place on the last of April, where we burn huge fires and then party. We have a national day but I’d say most people don’t celebrate it. I really don’t know what else to say but I’m open to answer any questions anyone might have. :thinking:

4 Likes

bump

Small bump

I am caucasian, American, from Michigan, and I am just me. No category. I try to do what interests me, not my friends or family. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

I dont know my culture or my religion… :no_mouth::no_mouth::no_mouth:

1 Like

Yeah it sucks not knowing it sometimes because it just makes you feel excluded from time to time.

1 Like

I’m American and agnostic. Culturally, I loved that my grandma grew up in Finland and kept us in close contact with my Finnish relatives. But I only know some words here and there, but I’ve visited the Motherland (as we fondly call it in my family) a few times to visit my cousins there. I’m actually closer to those cousins than the ones that live in the US (since they are much older) thanks to the fact that one of my cousins worked for an airline and she would bring her family to Florida every year for Easter when I was younger.

I never felt super American growing up, but now that I live in France with my husband, I do identify with some of the good parts (in my opinion) of being American like: having friends from so many cultural backgrounds, being loud and opinionated, being friendly/smiley, among other cultural differences I’ve noticed.

2 Likes