Thanksgiving Recipes - what’s your favorite dish?

With turkey day (god I hate that phrase but with all things I hate, I can’t stop saying it), upon us:

What’s your favorite thing to eat for those who celebrate? Post a recipe if you have it!

For those who don’t celebrate, have you tried any thanksgiving dishes that you like (or didn’t like)?

My personal favorites are challah stuffing (recipe here), corn bread and pudding (still searching for the best recipes, corn bread that’s not too dry and a corn pudding that doesn’t use Jiffy mix which contains pork), mashed potatoes (the secret is butter), and lovely roasted sweet potatoes, often with just olive oil and some rosemary.

And of course, the classic question, what are you thankful for?

1 Like

I love mac and cheese, stuffing, baked ziti, and the garlic bread of course.

I’m thankful for being alive and with my loved ones.

1 Like

Oooh interesting mix of foods. A bit of an Italian twist with the baked ziti and garlic bread (maybe a New York thing?), but a bit southern with the Mac n Cheese!

1 Like

May I ask what Thanksgiving is celebrated for?

1 Like

Haha! It just shows how much my sisters and mom can cook. They make jollof and potato salad too, with candied yams (sweet potatoes and marshmallows. Is that what they are?)

1 Like

It’s actually a genocidal holiday, but it was a feast in 1620 between the Native Americans and the Pilgrims.

Sure! It’s a bit controversial, since it has to do with the colonists of America (the Pilgrims) and their relationship with the Native Americans who were already there. The simplified story goes that the Pilgrims were having a very hard time with winter coming and were going to starve, but kind Native Americans shared their fall bounty and helped the pilgrims harvest their own, including gourds (like pumpkins), and turkey (this is debated) with the Pilgrims and so they had enough to last through winter without starving. The controversy comes later when there were constant wars and a near eradication of the Native Americans by the colonists by way of disease and violence.

That’s the short version we learn in school anyway!

2 Likes

Yeah! Candied yams! They aren’t my thing now since I think sweet potatoes are sweet enough without the marshmallows but I used to love scooping off the top when I was a kid!

1 Like

Nice.

As you can guess, I haven’t. Besides, I cannot eat roast chicken made by a non-Jew… :woman_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

I’m sad I don’t celebrate thanksgiving :pensive:

1 Like

Added tag: holiday!

My favorite dish??? Hmm, I like the gravy lol. I honestly don’t really like the food that much oof. I hate pie for example.

The food is pretty great! I love the flavors, especially the combo of sweet and savory in the same dish!

I’m vegetarian, so I’m biased so I think the veggie side dishes are the best. Turkey is overrated as a meat, even if I did eat meat, it’d be one of my last picks.

If you get a chance, I would suggest the side dishes.

Mmm, I sure do love them. They’re sweet but not too sweet.

1 Like

I don’t celebrate thanksgiving but I wonder what sweet potato pie is like :thinking:

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t like it.

2 Likes

I lived in the U.S.A when I was a kid, and we’d go to school only Monday and Tuesday of that week. Although Thanksgiving isn’t celebrated in Mexico, we teach it in bilingual schools as part of American culture.
There are a couple of restaurants here owned by people from the U.S. where they make special Thanksgiving meals.
My favorite dishes are roast turkey (but when it’s juicy; not dry), cornbread stuffing with giblet gravy, pumpkin cheesecake, corn souffle, mashed potatoes with gravy, and sweet potato pie. (It’s like pumpkin pie but made with sweet potatoes instead of pumpkins.)

I’m thankful for many things, especially my family. But also many things we take for granted, like health, food, my house, etc.

1 Like

Well, I’m totally late on this. My favorite dishes are greenbean casserole and fudge pie that my grandmother makes personally. Which I forgot to eat tonight because I was tired after work…the one thing I forget.

1 Like

I don’t celebrate thanksgiving, but turkey tastes ok. :white_heart:

1 Like

B u m p

1 Like

The mac and cheese!

1 Like